Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

window period
      #212011 - 10/18/06 03:38 PM

I understand that it is extremely rare for people to seroconvert after 6 months. My question is, for those who do, why does it take so long? and How rare is it to seroconvert after 6 months? Also, at how many weeks, months would a test be considered conclusive and no further testing needed? There's so much info out there and Im terribly confused.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: window period new
      #212016 - 10/18/06 04:04 PM

[quote]I understand that it is extremely rare for people to seroconvert after 6 months. [/quote]

It's extremely rare for people to seroconvert after 6 weeks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212034 - 10/18/06 07:43 PM

I agree, it is rare after 6 weeks

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212174 - 10/19/06 10:18 PM

To be honest, I don't think it is really well documented how rare it is. My impression is that the vast majority of people who test positive do so as a result of symptoms down the line after they have had the virus an indeterminate amount of time (often years). These cases don't shed any light on the window period. It is only the people with known exposures who test a lot who shed a light on the window period, and they are apparently a small minority.

rufenough

Reged: 04/22/06
      #212274 - 10/21/06 12:10 PM

I tested at 56 days was Neg, despite my symptoms my doc told me I was OK no need for 12/3 weeks, at the 12/13 week period I was better (not perfect still symptoms but mild) so I accepted the docs view and held off. In the last two weeks became much sicker mostly nausea neuropathy and night fevers, Ill be testing next week at 7months.....I just hope i dont put egg on the docs face! The way I feel at present..its a strong possibility, a spin of coin between maybe two possible reasons for my symptoms.

It really concerns me these people saying 6 weeks is OK . What do they say? 97% or 99% either way the 1% to 3% left represents a lot of people across millions. Wait 3 months thats my suggestion.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212277 - 10/21/06 12:23 PM

Lack of symptoms, after a possible short term illness during seroconversion, is the hall mark of HIV infection for several YEARS. Why then would you attribute your 'symptoms' to HIV after only 7 months. If people actually got sick after infection, there wouldn't be so many people walking around not aware they are infected.

Mutlple symptoms indicates that HIV is not the issue.

rufenough

#212285 - 10/21/06 02:40 PM

Hi anonymous,

I have my good an bad days with regard to what I think is causing my illness, I so wish I could take on board your views, I got one STD just Ghonnerea, I knew the girl was high risk.

The thing is I tested a little early, not only for HIV but, I have subsequently discovered possibly too early for Syphillis, Hep B, and even some of the none sexual infections that can cause similiar symptoms. What I cannot get away from is that in months and months of reading, the three most probable causes of my symptoms given the onset of symptoms after sexual intercourse are Hep B Syphillis or HIV. One is far rarer than the other two as an infection, but the rarer one is more transmissable(Syph), I have tested negative so far for all 3, but perhaps too early in the window for any of them. Then theres another confusing set of information. On the one hand...like you say, most people have a short illness and then go on to be well for a number of years afterwards with regard to HIV, but on the otherhand Neuropathy is often the first manifestation that people get that makes them consider an HIV test. These are two quite contrary circumstances im sure you would agree, and I have plenty of artciles suggesting Neuropathy is in fact the most common ongoing symptom of HIV (NOT AIDS) sufferers, and can start any time after infection.

Also if you consider Syphilis it usually is associated with rash (which I had) , theres less information about the nature of Nueropathy asscociated with Syphillis, but theres plenty of info to suggest symptoms fade each episode, not get worse as mine have, unlike HIV, Syphillis fades and beocmes latent, HIV progresses and symptoms worsen. I hope this clarifies my fears? or perhaps Im splitting hairs becuase Im scared? In the last 7 months my feelings as to what is casuing my illness has swung between these 3 conditions, none of which as yet I have had a positive for. Also Im sure you feel like you know your on body? I do....and something feels profoundly wrong..I look in the mirror and I see a very sick man looking back at me, thats not a feeling im used too, and I have had some fairly serious illness in my life before now.

Cobal
Regular

Reged: 07/23/06
      #212441 - 10/23/06 08:25 AM

Same situation here. Been sick now for going on 9 months. Dont have a clue as to what is going on but, I know that its been ongoing with up and down days. Came to this site for information sharing and got beat up a lot concerning testing negative beyond 3 months and still fearing that i have been infected. I have read everything I could about the window period and found it to be very confusing and conflicting pending who you ask. When I first came to this site I remember someone an ANNON called Leon and a registered user named Dasiey who were in were in the same situation. Leon argued the window period and was labled a fear monger and eventually quit posting. Daisy talked about testing and the the use of RNA testing and how it failed to pick up the virus and this board called her crazy. Daisy by the way did test positve later after negative PCR tests. I have even been called a trouble maker for not agreeing with the ANNON and experts on this site based on my situation, symptoms and reading. The window period is not set in stone. I'm the last one to suggest what guidelines you follow. I will share with you that I've been told by my doctor that I should test out to 1 year to rule out the rare event of late seroconversion. Good luck

rufenough

Re: window period
      #212557 - 10/24/06 05:40 AM

Hi Cobal,

Its great for me to get a reply to one of my posts that rings commonsense. Like you I have had anonymous people on this forum, claiming to be positive, trying to make out Im either insane, stupid, a worred well or a mix of all 3!

Its quite saddening to think that there might be HIV poz people out there that could still have such a lack of understanding and compassion for those of us who have made a mistake no better or worse than their own. I consider they may be in some regards "the lucky ones", perhaps they never even had a symptom in their life, and thats why they are so ungracious in recognising the fears of less fortunate individuals. After all lets face it...if you have no symptoms, does it really matter what your status is? (Apart from the issues of responsibility towards others of course).

Having read so much so many times, it is now very very clear to me that both professionals, HIV+ and HIV - individuals actually dont have a clue about the window period, and not just for HIV, but for a number of other infections that can cause similar symptoms. It is self evident that theres loads of confusion. In the UK even the NHS and various charitable organisations aimed at HIV, cannot agree with each other. I had a doc at my clinic saying "No need to test again" at 7 weeks(apprx) and a counsellor on the THT helpline say...only 75% have seroconverted at 6 weeks!

What is a scared individual with very real illness to make of all these contradictions? Its enough to add another problem, one of anxiety, to our symptoms.

By the way I heard about Daisy....but was curious what made her keep testing? Was it ongoing symptoms? If so...thats a worrying thing, becuase many HIV + people on here say "Seroconversion is a short illness followed by years of feeling well" My symptoms have waxed and wained, but I have never been 100% since that day. I had the classic serconversion illness, made a recovery back to about 80% of self. I was comforted when it seemed for sometime everytime I took another course of antibiotic, I felt a lot better, but in the end they stopped working. This still makes me feel like I might be lucky, it may be an as yet undiagnosed, resistant bacterial infection...truth be known...Im confused as hell.

Cobal
Regular

Reged: 07/23/06
      #212570 - 10/24/06 08:27 AM

I cant recall why Daisey kept testing, but what ever it was it turned out to be the correct move. I see it this way, you know your body better than anyone else and you know when something is not right. She figured out that medical science is not 100 % and followed up on it till she got the correct answer regardless of what anyone else on this site said about her. I have a great deal of respect for her and how she handled it. Now we are in the same situation and wanting answers. Just like they blackballed her, they have also done it to me, you to from what i read on the FRAIDS post. I'm going to NEW YORK this friday. There is a Dr up there who i have found to be very informed and willing to do the tests to rule this out. We are going to do a serial P24, viral culture, RT PCR (RNA) at the nine month mark. For me that will have covered everything, If all come back negative, I will put the HIV behind me and look for other causes at his recommendation. You keep on top of things to, there are also other virus out there that could be your cause. Good Luck

MPO131
Unregistered

#212575 - 10/24/06 09:33 AM

Your such an idiot!!!!
Do you really think a viral culture, serial P24's, and viral cultures will put this to bed for you. I hope your wife has left your stupid ass. You are straight sick in the head.
Please don't go away, ...you provide me more entertainment than HBO ever could. Please let us know how it turns out.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212580 - 10/24/06 10:05 AM

See this is one of the idiots that follows me around with his negative bullshit. Is he negative or Positive, you cant tell be cause he hides as an ANNON. see why your guru says on the topic and call him an idiot to fucker.
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Current/Q178858.html

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212613 - 10/24/06 05:14 PM

Forgive me for sounding niave....I dont know your history on this forum Cobal. So dont get MP0131s hardcore line. All I know for sure it seems a little harsh. Ive found a few recent cases of people converting well beyond 3 months, and also, the Terence Higgin Trust here i the UK, there counselors say a 6 week is only 75%....like you say Cobal....you know how you feel and have to eliminate possibilies with certainty before you move on. Good Luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212618 - 10/24/06 05:57 PM

ANNON, There is a group here that states that 3 months is conclusive for everyone with no exceptons. As though its written in stone somewhere. MPO is one of those who puts high value on stats, and not actual head counts. They attempt to rule this site with either you are testing accurate at 3 months or stupid for taking the added steps regardless of prolonged symptoms or not. I think that its is very irresponsible not to comment on the entire scope of testing and why the longer time frame is utilized for most agencies. Consider this, if you are infected, and you are wrong, then you fucked someone else up too. Bottom line when and how often you test is a personal choice, one that you will have to live with. Be smart and be informed. Most of the yahoos here are not speaking from personal experience. The are reading the data like eveyone else for other sites and posting.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212619 - 10/24/06 06:02 PM

ANNON, There is a group here that states that 3 months is conclusive for everyone with no exceptons. As though its written in stone somewhere. MPO is one of those who puts high value on stats, and not actual head counts. They attempt to rule this site with either you are testing accurate at 3 months or stupid for taking the added steps regardless of prolonged symptoms or not. I think that its is very irresponsible not to comment on the entire scope of testing and why the longer time frame is utilized for most agencies. Consider this, if you are infected, and you are wrong, then you fucked someone else up too. Bottom line when and how often you test is a personal choice, one that you will have to live with. Be smart and be informed. Most of the yahoos here are not speaking from personal experience. They are reading the data like eveyone else for other sites and posting. Me included. Difference is that some will read for information and understanding. Other reads of stats that leans in their favor and disregard the rest of the information.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9067

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3