Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Turning positive at 12th week?
      #212003 - 10/18/06 01:44 PM

I found out that my boyfriend was cheating on me during our relationship. I was tested with oraquick at 4, 8 & 11th weeks, all negative. I'm afraid if i re-test for the 12th week, I'll be positive. According to my hiv counselor, he said I could still be making antibodies for the virus during my 12th week. Oh God, I'm so frighten right now. I don't know what to do. Please someone help me, please!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Turning positive at 12th week? new
      #212008 - 10/18/06 03:06 PM

Your HIV counselor said that? It's depressing to know that idiots are in charge of HIV testing and risk information.

Over 95% of people infected will test postive by 6 weeks. If you were to ask Dr. Bob here, or any other experts they would tell you that your 11 week negative can be counted on as conclusive. Many will even tell you that they have never seen anyone turn postive after a 6 week negative.

Your (ex?) boyfriend may have cheated, but he didn't give you HIV. I hope that you did go ahead and test for all those other STI's that are much easier to get.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212027 - 10/18/06 05:57 PM

Goes to show how pitiful HIV conselors have become. Most of them know nothing about this virus. Look, forget all the other B/S you do not have HIV and there is NO need to test futher. Your six week test was all you needed. So go test till dooms day you do not have HIV. BTW next time would you please insist on a condom,they really arn't to hard to come by.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212199 - 10/20/06 10:20 AM

I read through some of the archives here and notice some believe people make antibodies during the 11th week & 12th week. After reading post on this site, I'm even more afraid to take my final 12th week test now.

A hiv expert at john hopkins said your immune system starts creating antibodies for the virus as soon as it enters your body. I wonder if that's true?

I know Mass & NYC have a 6 week conclusive belief. But are they testing for the virus, or the antibodies? I was unable to find out what test they were using. I was using oraquick. Any thoughts?

I've been tested for other std's, I'm just waiting for my results. I only got tested for my benefit. I don't want to expose someone else to the virus or other stds.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212217 - 10/20/06 03:18 PM

Mass. uses the 4th Generation ELISA. It's a combination test. The first part is the P24. This antigen is present from the time of infection upto the point that the antibodies have developed at which point the ELISA will detect those antibodies.

The CDC says that on avg. most people develop antibodies within 25 days. Over 95% of people will test positive by 6 weeks. The CDC new training materials stipulate that a 3 month test is conclusive. Now if they could just find someone to update their website.

You have an 11 week negative. You are HIV negative. I know Halloween is close and all, but if you want to scare yourself silly over something. Find something worthwhile to be scared of...like the Repubs keeping control of Congress.

Confused_freak
Unregistered

#212219 - 10/20/06 03:30 PM

From what I have read and heard Massachusettes uses 3rd generation ELISA and not fourth generation. At 11 weeks, you should be good to go...take care

Anonymous
Unregistered

#212228 - 10/20/06 05:22 PM

Yep, I call Mass to ask what test was in use and it was indeed the 3rd generation,

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6380

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3