Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Florida 69 and the rest, read what my research is
      #208387 - 09/25/06 12:47 AM

http://www.avert.org/needlestick.htm

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/needlestick_injuries.html

You guys if you read these youll see why im so damn paranoid ok im so sorry for all of this shit im doing to you and fuck dont say in hurting people because im not all im doing is asking questions and for fucks sake im very super stitious so why the hell would you curse me and hopoe another person gets the virus, shame on you man but read what i posted on the sites ok and two women got hiv just by working in there homes from a needle stick iniury and no it wasnt from sex ok so just read

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Florida 69 and the rest, read what my research new
      #208415 - 09/25/06 07:55 AM

Here is the research that this supposed dumb ass wants us to look at, and once again it is not from sitting in a char, or whatever:

Occupational exposure to HIV

In many countries for many years health care workers have become infected with HIV as a result of their work. The main cause of infection in occupational settings is exposure to HIV-infected blood via a percutaneous injury (i.e. from needles, instruments, bites which break the skin, etc). The average risk for HIV transmission after such exposure to infected blood is low - about 3 per 1,000 injuries. Nevertheless, this is still understandably an area of considerable concern for many health care workers.

Certain specific factors may mean a percutaneous injury carries a higher risk, for example:

* A deep injury
* Terminal HIV-related illness in the source patient
* Visible blood on the device which caused the injury
* Injury with a needle which had been placed in a source patient's artery or vein

If percutaneous exposure occurs then the site of exposure should be washed liberally with soap and water but without scrubbing. Bleeding should be encouraged by pressing gently around the site of the injury (but taking care not to press immediately on the injury site). It is best to do this under a running water tap.

There are a small number of instances when HIV has been acquired through contact with non-intact skin or mucous membranes. Research suggests that the risk of HIV infection after mucous membrane exposure e.g. splashes of infected blood in the eye, is less than 1 in 1000. If mucocutaneous exposure occurs then the affected area should be washed thoroughly with soap and water. If the eye is affected, it should be irrigated thoroughly.

If intact skin is exposed to HIV infected blood then there is no risk of HIV transmission.

Although infection through needlestick injury does not often occur, it can be devasting for the person concerned as the following account sent to AVERT shows:

I am a lab tech. I worked 11-7 shift for the past 9 and half years. My job includes drawing blood, testing blood and urine samples in a hospital laboratory, and preparing blood transfusions for patients who need blood products. On 12/31/93 at 3.55am I was called to the emergency room to draw blood on an hiv+ drug abuser, it seems she was out of cash but wanted more 'pain meds". The doctors wanted blood tests first to find out what was she sick with. I ended up trying to draw her blood and she became violent, jerking her arm around after I had a needle in her vein and was getting blood out of her arm. She managed to get the dirty needle stabbed into my left thumb. When I saw that needle in my hand I felt a chill go down my spine and dreaded I would become positive too.

Well by march of 1994 I was hiv+. Since then I have tried many of the hiv meds on the market. Many have given me allergic reactions, some have simply been ineffective, others the virus has grown resistant to. It's a month to month battle. So far my t counts are holding and my viral load is between non detected and 10,000. I am married and had a son aged 18 months at the time I was infected. He's now 9.5 years old and the pride of my life. How can I ever tell him mom may not be around much longer? On October 28, 2000 we were blessed with the birth of a daughter. Beautiful is her description by anyone who has seen her. Tonight I received the results of her 1 year hiv test. It is positive.
Post Exposure Prophylaxis

Research evidence seems to suggest that the use of anti-HIV drugs like zidovudine in combination with other anti-HIV drugs if given soon after an injury can reduce the rate of transmission. Such treatment is referred to as Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP). PEP is recommended for health care workers if they have had a significant occupational exposure to blood or another high risk body fluid which is likely to be infected with HIV. It is recommended that PEP should be commenced as soon as possible after exposure and ideally within the hour.

Although exposure through needle stick injuries can usually be avoided by following good working practices, health care workers should consider the implications of taking PEP. This will help them to make a swift decision in the event of an accident where an injury occurs. In the UK, the Department of Health guidelines for PEP are that most needle stick injuries should be treated with a triple combination of antiretroviral drugs for four weeks. Recommended drugs are zidovudine, lamivudine and nelfinavir. For more information about these drugs, see the introduction to HIV & AIDS treatment.
How many occupational infections have been reported?

Up until December 2001, health care workers in the USA reported 57 occupational HIV infections. Of these, 48 had percutaneous exposure; 5, mucocutaneous exposure; 2, both percutaneous and mucocutaneous exposure; and 2, an unknown route of exposure. In addition, 139 other cases of HIV infection or AIDS have occurred among healthcare personnel who have not reported other risk factors for HIV infection and who report a history of occupational exposure to blood, body fluids, or HIV-infected laboratory material, but for whom seroconversion after exposure was not documented. The occupations of these people are presented below.1
Occupation Documented occupational
transmission Possible occupational
transmission
Dental worker including dentist 0 6
Embalmer/morgue technician 1 2
Emergency medical technician/paramedic 0 12
Health aide/attendant 1 15
Housekeeper/maintenance worker 2 13
Laboratory worker, clinical 16 17
Laboratory technician, nonclinical 3 0
Nurse 24 35
Physician, nonsurgical 6 12
Physician, surgical 0 6
Respiratory therapist 1 2
Technician, dialysis 1 3
Technician, surgical 2 2
Technician/therapist, other than listed 0 9
Other health care occupations 0 5
Total 57 139

In the UK, as of July 2003, the Health Protection Agency (HPA) reported that there have been five documented HIV seroconversions through occupational exposure in the healthcare setting, and twelve possible/probable occupational seroconversions.2
What are Universal Precautions?

Employing universal precautions means taking precautions with everybody. If precautions are taken with everyone, health care workers do not have to make assumptions about people's lifestyles and risk of infection. Health care workers should have the right to be able to protect themselves against infection, whether it is HIV, Hepatitis or anything else.

The following universal infection control precautions are advised by the World Health Organization3 to help protect health care workers from blood-borne infections including HIV:

* Wash hands with soap and water before and after procedures.
* Use protective barriers such as gloves, gowns aprons, masks, goggles for direct contact with blood and other body fluids.
* Disinfect instruments and other contaminated equipment.
* Handle properly soiled linen. (Soiled linen should be handled as little as possible. Gloves and leakproof bags should be used if necessary. Cleaning should occur outside patient areas, using detergent and hot water.)
* Use of new, single-use disposable injection equipment for all injections is highly recommended. Sterilizable injection should only be considered if single use equipment is not available and if the sterility can be documented with Time, Steam and Temperature indicators.
* Discard contaminated sharps immediately and without recapping in puncture and liquid proof containers that are closed, sealed and destroyed before completely full.
* Document the quality of the sterilization for all medical equipment used for percutaneous procedures.

Page amended by Rob Noble, September 2004.
References:

1. Surveillance of Healthcare Personnel with HIV/AIDS, as of December 2002, CDC, reviewed December 2003, accessed September 2004.
2. HIV and AIDS: information and guidance in the occupational setting, HPA, revised July 2003, accessed September 2004.
3. Universal Precautions, Including Injection Safety, WHO, accessed September 2004.

Sources:

* HIV post-exposure prophylaxis: Guidance from the UK Chief Medical Officer's Expert Advisory Group on AIDS, 2nd edition, Department of Health, February 2004.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#208416 - 09/25/06 08:01 AM

This is a hoax. Good people of this forum this guy has serious mental issues and I double what Florida said to this guy, maybe if he developed some compassion for others and got a test he would be better off. Otherwise he is waisting all of our time, he research shows that it is almost impossible to get HIV from sitting on a needle. I felt a little pinch the other night on the sofa in my boxers, guess what it was? A crumb from a chip.

The other web site...

HIV/AIDS

The risk of needlestick transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, is considerably less than for hepatitis B virus. Several hundred health care workers have been accidentally exposed, mostly through needlestick injuries, to blood from patients infected with the HIV virus. As of June 1999, researchers report that needlestick injuries transmitted HIV to 49 of these health care workers in the United States. Researchers estimate that needlestick injuries involving blood- contaminated with HIV can spread the virus in 0.3 percent of cases. Stated another way, 99.7 percent of needlestick/cut exposures do not lead to infection.

In Canada, the Division of HIV Epidemiology Research, Bureau of HIV/AIDS and STD, Public Health Agency of Canada, Health Canada, has reported one case of occupational transmission of HIV that can be clearly linked to a needlestick injury. There have been two other cases of HIV infection in Canada that have been attributed to possible occupational transmission, both involving laboratory workers.

A possible occupational transmission occurred to a 75 year old Ontario biochemist who had worked in many laboratories with blood and blood products. There were no other risk factors reported.

Another possible occupational transmission occurred to a Quebec laboratory technician in the early 1990s. This case is still under investigation.

eleniel
Guru

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Utah, USA
      #208466 - 09/25/06 01:35 PM

you are one of the stupidest people I've ever encountered.
Go play in traffic

--------------------
6/29/2010: vl 68,000 cd4: 205

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1998

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3