Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
bushyman
New User

Reged: 09/24/06
Had sex with HIV+ partner - Freaking out
      #208310 - 09/24/06 11:29 AM

I am terrified. Almost a month ago I had unprotected sex with a woman I had good reasons to suspect after the act. It was insertive vaginal intercourse without a condom (how stupid of me), I am circumsized (heard there are studies that indicate it seems to reduce chances of transmission from female to male). The day after we had sex I tried convincing her to get an HIV test... she refused. I seeked PEP treatment and began the treatment at 63 hours following the sexual act.
She finally got tested last week and she is positive.
I am on my third week of PEP treatment but now that she has confirmed she is positive I am freaking out! Can't sleep, can't eat.... Can't study.

I am terrified. My doctor told me to relax because he says that I have less of chance of being infected than I think and that compared to other behaviors, I was at a lower risk although the possibility of infection could not be ignored. This was a one time event... I am so afraid. I tested negative at the baseline for HIV and for other STDs. Has anyone ever been in my predicament and got out of it? Please help, I need to hear from others. My life is at a stand-still. Thank you.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Veteran

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: Had sex with HIV+ partner - Freaking out new
      #208317 - 09/24/06 01:04 PM

Everything your doc is telling you is true... No reason to stop life for something like this...

Best

polywog

Reged: 07/30/06
Loc: toronto
      #208381 - 09/24/06 10:14 PM

bushyman - your dr. is telling you the truth - but, there is a risk. the reason that you are freaking out is because you are so afraid of this condition. Well I have it, and like you, before i was diagnosed i was freaked stiff with fear - the truth is, those of us here, with this condition - will tell you that one comes to terms with it, and life will go on , because we will live - so would you if you were poz. try your best to calm down - it is overwhelming worry i know - but it's not necessary to fear this like you do - respect it and take care of yourself - and remember there are those here that will help you with comfort, information and good advice through our own experiences - good luck

walkerbd
New User

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: mauritius
      #208392 - 09/25/06 04:28 AM

Dear Bushyman,

I understand how you feel.

I had sex with a prostitute(with a condom) recently but am showing many of the expected symptoms. Like you, I can hardly go to work with fear and my sleeping is totally screwedup. I feel terrible, just like you. All I can do is wish you the best of luck, I have a feeling you will be ok, as it,s not an automatic infection when you have sex, you just have to be unlucky. Let me know how you get on

bushyman
New User

Reged: 09/24/06
      #208408 - 09/25/06 07:00 AM

Dear Walkerbd,

Believe me, you are in a much better position than I am. Once you see your Doc you'll see that your symptoms were probably caused by something else. Your chances of contracting HIV while properly wearing a condom are almost inexistant. Don't worry about it.

Me on the other hand, I feel as if I am walking in a mine field hoping that I will not trigger one. You see my 7 minutes of pleasure is a nightmare now. I have much to lose... I have two kids, I live with my girlfriend who loves me infinately... So aside from being worried sick, my concious is killing me (and rightly so).

I had sex with someone who is HIV + dude, unprotected sex, odds in my favor or not (even with PEP treatment which I started 63 hours after the fact which is also kind of late) I am terrified... I pray for the best and believe me if everything turns out ok a month from now...or not... it is one hell of a lesson.

Thanks for your post and for the others who have responded so far as well. I hope to hear from someone who was in my situation and got out of it.

notsosmart

Reged: 08/10/06
      #208756 - 09/27/06 12:27 AM

I can relate to what you are going thru, I had a simmilar situation 11.5 weeks ago. I had night sweats, white tongue, chills, couldnt sleep, weight loss,. and several other things going on. In less than 2 weeks, I will be convinced it was overwelming guilt. I also cheated on my girlfriend of 3 years who just moved in with me a month earlier. It was with a girl whose status was possible positive from some actions and comments said after the act. I have tested 3 times, all negative so far. Feel free to PM me, and I will go thru some of the worries and hell I was going thru.

Good Luck, and God Bless

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2950

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3