Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

new HIV strain
      #20665 - 08/10/01 01:01 AM

Having been through a past HIV scare, I was watching the news this evening and became quite concerned over what I heard. This medical segment went on to state that there have been at least a dozen HIV/AIDS patients in Vancouver that are no longer responding to the standard treatment given for HIV/AIDS infection. This doctor went on to explain, they feel there is a new strain of HIV becoming more prevalent that is immune to standard treatment.

Has anyone else heard about this or can shed some light on the subject. Not trying to scare anyone...actually I assumed this was only a matter of time.

Stephan

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: new HIV strain new
      #20676 - 08/10/01 11:14 AM

HOW SCARY! although the risk of getting that strand would be extremely rare if theyve only discovered a dozen cases.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: new HIV strain new
      #21088 - 08/20/01 08:34 AM

I'm pretty sure they mean that there is a growing incidence of people infected with hiv which is not as receptive to the drugs used to treat it. The hiv has been exposed to these drugs within a number of inviduals - and after a considerable amount of time the hiv mutates and is not affected by the drugs. So while the strain of hiv may not be rare, the fact that people are catching drug-resistant hiv is a worry.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1373

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3