Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
LynnB
Regular

Reged: 08/14/06
Loc: Maine
Home access hiv test
      #206469 - 09/08/06 09:39 AM

Well I spent the money went ahead and pricked my finger, about passed out from that I am such a wuss, and sent the sample in. Then the next morning I called and my results were not in yet. So I waited all day calling off and on the check and nothing. Then finally I called and spoke with a live person and they told me my sample was invalid. Son of a $#@$#, they said that they would send me another test at no cost to me but now I have to do the blood thing again. Has this happend to anyone else? Of course I will do it again but hopefully this time it will be enough I mean do they need me to open a vein or what. Thanks for listening.

Lynn

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Home access hiv test new
      #206471 - 09/08/06 09:47 AM

Jesus. You think your luck would change. Lynn no this hasnt happened to me but I have never done the Home Access. Good karma to you. Invalid I would say probably doesnt have to do with the amount (did a finger prick one Rapid test and they took MINIMAL blood) and how the sample was handled. You make sure to tell them that you want them to pay to courier it and test it right away and call you. Be firm with them as they screwed up and you need answers!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#206481 - 09/08/06 11:33 AM

I have done home access. What you need to do is prick your ring finger right below the nail. The first sample I collected I did with my pointer and it was slightly dripping. I then called and a counselor told me to run my hand under luke warm water, keep your arm down for a few minutes, then prick right where the nail meets the flesh (on the back of your finger). Doesn't have to be too low, but when I did that the blood came spewing out. Be sure to cover the entire circle with blood. If you do it correctly you'll have enough blood to cover the circle and then some.

Another word of advice.. you know when you first register that number they ask you to take the survey? Then they ask how you THINK you will test? Do NOT say positive. I did and then got transferred to a counselor and freaked. The woman told me there are 3 reasons why you are transferred 1. You say you think you are positive 2. You are positive or 3. They could not test your blood. If you are indeed negative you will get a recording, unless those three scenarios apply.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#206505 - 09/08/06 01:54 PM

I would never do that test ever. I went down to the planned parenthood and tested. I don't trust any kit you send in the mail. no way. Too much human error can happen with that test.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#206543 - 09/08/06 10:24 PM

Yikes!!!!!!!! How on earth can pricking ones finger be so difficult? Why is it so many so-called WW have so much trouble with the simplest test on the planet?

Is there no rapid tetsing in your area? Call a city near you they should have a rapid test. I don't even know your situation and I still am willing to bet you will be NEG. wana bet? D.J.

notsosmart
Regular

Reged: 08/10/06
      #206607 - 09/09/06 02:46 PM

When I took my home access at 6 weeks, I had washed my hands and was so dehydrated from not eating, my fingers were too pruned and shriviled to get a good stick with the lancet. It was a sunday so I could not call for advice on the second lancet. I had some clean needles that I use for my dogs and took one of the syringes and stuck it into my finger(ouch).

I also took another home access thursday, as I said I would, but this time instead of sticking it into the pad of my finger, I put it into the tip, running paralell with the finger. This time, I got blood, much bigger drops. I took only 4 drops to fill the circle, with my syringe, it took like 6 or 8.

I know what you are saying, I dread putting that lancet to my finger, and I am 6 ft 255 lbs. I cringe also.

Good luck, even though your previous negative tests work in your favor, I can understand the calming effect a more recent test can have.

Good luck to us all, God bless.

M

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3237

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3