Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

RNA PCR
      #205645 - 08/31/06 01:49 PM

Has anyone here tested positive eventually after an undetetctable PCR RNA test at about 7 weeks?

Many thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: RNA PCR new
      #205646 - 08/31/06 01:55 PM

No one here has tested at 7 weeks negative with ELISA and then later tested positive for HIV never mind RNA PCR which isnt a good idea with the false pos. Move on with your life you odnt have HIV> I defy you to find a case.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#205653 - 08/31/06 02:29 PM

This gives me no pleasure at all but found this on the other board.

i dont want to get a contraversy going on here that is not my intention, but from my own experience i had an rna/dna pcr done. they both were undetectable............. i am positive. i have been positive for 7 months now my viral load is still undetectable and my cd4 count is 800.
i will not respond to this thread again, because i dont want to be patranized by the bull crap that people sling at me when i tell my story. pcr's are not used for diagnosis for hiv and are not fda approved for diagnosis. at least last i knew they were not.
take care,
daisey

Anonymous
Unregistered

#205657 - 08/31/06 03:09 PM

You case is exactly why PCR RNA shouldn't be used to determine HIV infection. It was never developed for that purpose.

While it's rare for someone not to have a detectable viral load, it's possible, which is why this test isn't FDA approved for anything except monitoring the viral loads of HIV postive patients.

Even if someone had a dectectable viral load, because of the false postive rate a person would have to have an ELISA and a confirming WB anyway. Why waste the money on a test that isn't approved for diagnosis.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#205658 - 08/31/06 03:10 PM

Daisy, one more thing.

If you are undectectable and have such a high CD4 count, are you sure you have HIV?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#205660 - 08/31/06 03:22 PM

Lets not get this going again. Daisey is going through enough and I dont think it is a good idea to get a whole thing going. Yes her case seems to be the major exception to the rules.

ELISA test at 7 weeks is almost a lock. PCR is for monitoring viral loads of HIV positive people. Why get the PCR? If you look she has been exposed hundreds of times to a known HIV source. What is your risk? I would suggest a 8 week HIV test and then if you are told you need one another at 12 weeks. Keep away from PCRs.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#205662 - 08/31/06 03:25 PM

Original poster here...
"While it's rare for someone not to have a detectable viral load, it's possible"

How rare? any stats on this? Also, does the timing of the test matter? In my case it was after many of the symtoms had died down.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#205666 - 08/31/06 03:57 PM

It's very rare. The point is that even people that have an undectectable viral load will have antibodies and WILL test postive on an Elisa.

Cobal
Master

Reged: 07/23/06
      #205673 - 08/31/06 05:34 PM

There are a couple of people i noted that tried to use the PCR and still came back positive. I even tried both the DNA and RNA and found no confort in either test because of ongoing symptoms. Save your money, unless your doing it in a clincal setting were serial tests are ran. Good Luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#205696 - 08/31/06 09:54 PM

Good for you Daisy!! To many Anoms think they are it on here and know it all. Any one should be able to voice a question or opinion and not get blasted for it..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#205704 - 08/31/06 11:02 PM

The post linked does not give a time frame. PCR tests are not considered to be accurate very early after possible infection but are more so later on.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#205706 - 08/31/06 11:05 PM

Clarification: PCR RNA test is for viral load. PCR DNA is a positive/negative test used for a variety of purposes including diagnosing newborns, testing of rape victims soon after exposure and testing in the US adult entertainment industry. There is not one PCR test, but two very distinct ones. PCR RNA = viral load test used for HIV treatment. PCR DNA = diagnostic test in certain settings.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#205743 - 09/01/06 08:52 AM

Yes, and as the title suggests, it's the RNA that is being focused on, but thanks for that bit of over information.

PCR DNA are not recommended for diagnositics either and I think that was the point of this discussion was that the ONLY test FDA approved for diagnostics is the ELISA.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2378

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3