Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
JO1
Unregistered

ARS or STRESS?? oops?
      #20457 - 08/06/01 08:57 PM

I have been stressing about a sexual ecounter that happened a month ago, i started getting headaches, neckaches. At week three i had this feeling like something was pushing against my throat or i had something stuck in the left side of my throat. when I swallow i can definitly feel something pushing up against my throat. a tense muscle maybe? it went away for about two weeks and I now have it again. I heard that Early HIV symptoms dont come and go so does this mean its not related to HIV?? if anyone is familiar or educated on early hiv symptoms please give me some insight! anyone else have this symptom?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Oops
Unregistered

Re: ARS or STRESS?? oops? new
      #20459 - 08/06/01 11:07 PM

ARS symptoms don't come and go - you are correct.
What's the actual risk of your sexual encounter? Protected, unprotected, oral.....? All that makes a difference.

JO1
Unregistered

Tonsilitis? new
      #20478 - 08/07/01 10:05 AM

I think this difficutly swallowing might be contributed to tonsilitis. Does anyone know if this is an early ARS symptom????? I am freeaking out! anyone know about early symptoms please answer.

Oops
Unregistered

Re: Tonsilitis? new
      #20480 - 08/07/01 10:13 AM

ARS symptoms don't come and go. Period. You might have tonsilitis, which your doctor can treat and cure, but you will only know that if you go to your doctor.

Here's the deal: 50% of people with Acute (early) HIV infections don't have symptoms at all. Of the remaining 50%, NO ONE will have symptoms that say "This is an HIV infection." Doesn't happen that way, with the POSSIBLE exception of the "ARS Rash", which only 30% develop anyway. Lastly, since there are really NO specific symptoms to ARS/Early HIV infections, playing the symptoms game will only give you a stroke, heart attack, or a nervous breakdown.

Go see your doctor. If you can't go to your regular doctor, go somewhere else. The only thing you can do wrong at this point is NOT go see ANYONE. While you're there, ask them to help you assess your risk of HIV and other STDs.
That's the strategy that works.

Need to know
Unregistered

#20488 - 08/07/01 11:34 AM

Oops, can you help me get more information on ARS rash. Do you mean by exception to ARS rash?
Thanks

T-REX
Unregistered

#20490 - 08/07/01 11:54 AM

I've read that 70 to 90% of infected people will have at least some symptoms. Fever, swollen glands and rash are the only things to really worry about. Many who seroconvert become very sick. The symptoms don't come and go. They just hit you usually from week 2 to week 4 and then leave. But even these symptoms don't mean a person is infected. We have read many posts here about people who have all the ARS symptoms and then some, and yet are hiv negative. Stress causes more symptoms than hiv.

Oops
Unregistered

Rash new
      #20491 - 08/07/01 12:04 PM

No, I can't help you get more information because that's all I have. But I will summarize it:
* Approximately 30% of newly infected people will develop the "trademark" ARS rash, which appears primarily on the trunk of the body and resembles a mild sunburn.
* It typically does not itch, and while it may also appear on the face/neck it primarily appears on the trunk of the body.
* I don't know how much coverage "the trunk" involves, but it will generally not be something small like a 2" x 2" patch of skin.
* By exception, I mean that it's one symptom that seems to be associated with ARS. But, if only 30% of people develop it, and since LOTS of things can cause "a rash", it's probably pretty risky to attempt diagnosis on the basis of some red skin.

There's a fair amount of information about this in The Body Forums. Check "Safe Sex and Transmission" by Ryan Kull, and also check Holodniy's "Viral Load" forum for a posting dated August 4. Be forewarned - they're going to say the same thing: "YOU CANNOT DIAGNOSE HIV BY SYMPTOMS." So take charge of your problem and go to the doctor. (end lecture.)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rash new
      #20498 - 08/07/01 12:43 PM

Thank you thank you.. I have a warm and fuzzy feelings when everyone act like you. I love you all

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2088

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3