Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Oops
Unregistered

Some Help Here? Please?
      #20413 - 08/05/01 11:14 PM

Hi All,
So I've been away for a day or two. Just before I left I posted a question about swollen salivary glands. T-REX chalked it up to stress, as I was prepared to do.... and I believe that he and I were both wrong. They started hurting, so I did a no-no and decided to self-prescribe some antibiotics. Within a day they were tingling, less swollen, my sinuses and ears began to clear up... I think that's indicative of some form of bacterial infection, and it's entirely possible that it's an infection I've been carrying around in my head/ears/sinuses/mouth for some time. At any rate, it seems to be getting progressively better. That's the good news.

Bad News:
White, coated tounge which coincides with the antibiotic (Cipro.) I'm assuming that the white, coated tounge is related to the antibiotic, although we all know what's lurking in the back of my mind in spite of all rational thought. Trip to the doctor is in order for tomorrow morning, to get him to take a look at it and see what he thinks.

Issues at hand, and here's where I need some help. There are some questions thrown in for your consideration:

* After my PCR, I figured I was in the clear.

* Dr. Holodniy kind of spooked me with some semantic equivocation on the reliability of PCRs in general, but in response to questions from me and another soul seems to have thrown in the semantic towel and said "They work." Question 1: Does anyone disagree with my interpretation of his comments?

* In my 7th week, I came down with a case of the raging sh*ts. Lasted less than 24 hours, coulda been the crab cakes. Question 2: Anyone have reliable symptomatic information on diarrhea as associated with ARS?

* Started taking the Cipro, salivary glands tingle off and on and seem to start working again (I hadn't noticed that they weren't.) Swelling goes down under my tounge and under my jaw, I begin to notice that my ears are popping, etc.

* Today, my tounge begins to turn chalk white. I'm perfectly prepared to chalk it off to the antibiotics - when I was being treated empirically (I guess that means as a precaution, even though I wound up testing negative) for gonorrhea and chlamydia, I noticed my tounge trying to turn white from the doxyclycline, or so I thought. I'm wondering if the massive load of stress I've been toting around, coupled with a couple of antibiotics over a period of 7 weeks or so, could actually be causing a yeast infection in my mouth? Question #3: Any qualified opinions on this one?

* Question #4: I KNOW whatever made my salivary glands swell up is NOT an ARS symptom. But does anyone have any idea what COULD have caused it? I've never heard of that before, it kind of has me wierded out.

My curve ball's hanging here, folks. Can someone give me a hand with all the above?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Some Help Here? Please? new
      #20418 - 08/06/01 12:20 AM

salivary glands swelling is not an early symptom of HIV, Oral thrush dosent show up untill the latter stages of hiv so it is very unlikely its related to HIV. They describe oral thrush as a whitish coating and when someone reads this the first thing they do is look in the mirror and see a whitish coating on there tongue. This is not the same! Oral thrush is white patches and they hurt very bad. Look up a picture of it it looks horrible. I doubt your symptoms are related to hiv but a negative hiv test is the only way to be sure.

SAC
Unregistered

#20422 - 08/06/01 01:44 AM

Welcome back. My reply is in no way based on reasearch I've done on ARS, rather just some personal perspectives or experiences:

1. White tongue - 2 things. 1: Antibiotics make people more prone to yeast infections. Try having some yogurt or seeing your doctor. But, I think the more plausable answer is that antibiotics also have a dehydrating effect. Therefore, you will often develop 'cotton mouth', kind of like a hangover - dry, white, sticky mouth. I get lots of sinus infections and so I do some quality time with antibiotics, so take my word for it.

2. PCR - I'm with you. Not quite sure how to feel about it at this point. But, I believe that if you coupled it with an ELISA (which I believe you did at least 4 weeks in) than I would feel pretty confident in the results. Remember, you have been having symptoms since before you tested. If you were positive and experiencing valid symptoms prior to your test, you would be highly likely to develop detectable anti-bodies.

3. Glands - Ever hear the expression 'Lump in your throat':-). Seriously, that lump under your tongue, over your adam's apple and in the pit of your stomach, is probably from stress. Hey, look at that - we have matching lumps!!!

4. Keep in mind your risk. You are one of the more educated folks on this board. You know your risk was low. We all loose perspective on our risk sometimes (thank GOD), but sometimes we go the wrong way and allow our stress to override our true risk profile.

This is a big week for both of us. We'll make it.

T-REX
Unregistered

#20425 - 08/06/01 06:29 AM

Oops, believe me, white coated tongue is caused by the antibiotics coupled with stress. If it bothers you, try brushing your tongue thoroughly with a brush and drink lots of fluid.When a person is under severe stress, he is prone to all kinds of infection. I experienced coated tongue too, after I took some antibiotics for my inflamed tonsils. When I discontinued the antibiotics, my tongue became better.

Friend
Unregistered

#20429 - 08/06/01 07:55 AM

Hey Oops, I agree with them.

I keep feeling my neck to see if everything is ok, I'm to a point that I think I'm causing my neck pains.

Try to relax and think about something else.

By a Nintendo and get a Judo or race car game, try to keep your mind busy with something else.

Take care my friend.

Oops
Unregistered

Thanks new
      #20436 - 08/06/01 02:16 PM

I've reconciled the tounge thing to the antibiotic - that's one down. 2nd Elisa's due today, maybe, certainly by tomorrow (Home Access.) Assuming that it confirms what everything and everyone else has already told me, I think I'm gonna be able to put this puppy to bed.

But wait - haven't I said that before?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1515

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3