Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Ashamed
Unregistered

I think I'm infected - please help?
      #20292 - 08/03/01 02:08 AM

Please read my story. I think I became infected over the weekend in Las Vegas. On Sunday morning I was headed back to my room at the Rio. While intoxicated, I noticed two women at the bar and started a conversation with one of them. 15 minutes into our conversation she informed me that she was "working". We decided on a price ($150) and went up to my room. She went into the rest-room for roughly 7 minutes doing God only knows what. I pray that she was applying spermicidal jelley to her area because I was told that this helps kill HIV/Aids, but just don't know for sure. She came out and gave me oral sex for roughly 30-45 seconds without a condom. I am very worried because I had a friction burn on the top part of my penis which is about half the size of a pinky finger nail. What is also scarying the hell out of me is that it didn't seem to bother her. I put on a condom and she put me inside of her. During one thrust I felt the condom break and I immediately pulled out. I noticed that the friction burn had been exposed but put on another condom and finished. I can't believe how stupid I was, but wait there's more. She went into the rest-room and was there for a while. She came out dressed and I convinced her to manually get me off. After a few minutes of mutual masturbation I bent her over, put loation on her rear-end and humped on her. As she got dressed it finally hit me - I've got HIV!?!? I asked if she was careful and she said she was matter-of-factly. She told me it was nice to be with a young guy because most of her clients are older men. I informed my HMO doctor on Tuesday and he tested me for clamydia? and guanaria? even after I told him that I had no discharge. I took an HIV/Aids test on the same day but still got to wait 3 months for another one. I've been racking my brain all week - little sleep, pounding head-ache, depressed, guilty, lathargic and soar muscles. I've tried to work, work-out, etc but I just can't concentrate. I asked the doctor what the percentage of prostitutes with HIV/Aids was in Las Vegas. He didn't know but said 1/3 of prostitutes in Los Angeles are HIV+/Aids. I'm very scared. If she didn't have HIV/Aids then why isn't she working at one of the ranches where it's legal and safe? I know that there are people who have HIV/Aids whos mission in life is to infect other people. I have a feeling that she is one of them. I'm so scared and lonely. I'm sorry if I've bored anyone. I know if she was infected I have it because of the friction burn. I don't even think the condoms had spermicidal jelley. I just want to live until I'm 45, thank you very much. Starting to get feelings of suicide, severe depression and guilt. I think my number is up, it's over. What an embarrasment/failure to my parents I've been. Please, serious reponses only.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I think I'm infected - please help? new
      #20294 - 08/03/01 03:21 AM

Dude....What's up.....Let me tell you, I have been experiencing sort of the same situation over the past couple of weeks, and let me tell you 99% of this is in your head....First off, I saw an infectious doc in NYC, and the simple fact is, that it is pretty damn difficult to get this thing called HIV according to him. He said that the key to 90% of infections are blood on blood contact, with direct access to the blood stream, and get this,,,,,the stats for infection while having sex with an absolute 100% HIV positive person.....is 1 in 500 while having good old fashioned unprotected sex, and the odds of getting it through one exposure....although theoretically possible, is highly unlikely...the bulk of people who actually get HIV expose themselves many times before they get it,,,,,he said it is like any other virus....if you are in the room for 1 out of 500 minutes, where a sick person is sitting.....odds are you are not gonna get anything,,,wheras if youy soit next to them for the full 500 minutes,,,,your chances are greater......so dude....I think you are gonna be fine.....most of what you are going through now is good old fashioned guilt,,,,,,good luck brother

Anonymous
Unregistered

#20297 - 08/03/01 04:40 AM

AMEN !

Oops
Unregistered

#20300 - 08/03/01 08:50 AM

This was really well said, and there's not much to add to it in terms of your risk factor. You're probably going to be ok, condom break or not (the CDC says MOST condom breaks do not result in infection.)

Odds are, while your working girl was in the bathroom she was applying something like KY, and she was probably cleaning up when she went back in there.
Will you be able to believe her when she says she's ok? Probably not - *I* didn't, in retrospect, but then hindsight is always 20/20.

Test at 4 weeks, which will be a really good indicator, and tell your doctor you want to test at 8 weeks too. You're going to be on pins and needles for a while, but the early tests prior to 3 months will help you keep your feet on the ground. Hang in there, and come back here as often as you need to.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#20305 - 08/03/01 09:32 AM

Dear Ashamed:

Although I am not quite confident about the sexual encounter you experienced I am confident that you are suffering the side of effect of guilt. The oral sex that you experienced is such low risk it does not typically constitute HIV testing. Insertion with a condom that breaks is still very low risk and it is estimated that condom failure occurs in 3% of usage generally because of improper use or size. However, the risk of exposure from this practice is very low if detected, and also may have correlations based on where the tear or break occured in the condom. I assume you also had anal sex with a condom. You did not contract HIV from the encounter you explain, and I would say your risk is very low.

The statistics you are seeking on HIV+ prostitutes in LA are not valid. Studies conducted generalize across a population and typically can not include each prostitute (or even a majority of them) limiting the reliability of the study--or statistic you indicate (where your doctor got this statistic I don't know). Aside from that fact I recommend you seek some counseling, and try to understand fully the nature of HIV prevention and transmission. Testing is a personal issue, only you know the true realm of your exposure and educating yourself on HIV will give you a better understanding of whether you contracted the virus, and how to prevent transmission in future behaviors. I recommend you seek professional counseling for your suicidal feelings and obvious guilt and anxiety. Good Luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#20309 - 08/03/01 11:02 AM

Did the infectious disease doc comment on the odds of transmission due to a single act of cunnilingus on an hiv+ person?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1560

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3