Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

PCR reliablity?
      #20274 - 08/02/01 11:35 PM

Home > Forum on Safe Sex and HIV Prevention > Answers to Current SafeSex Questions > Question:

very scared
Posted: Jul 31, 2001

Ryan, I put myself at risk to HIV a while back about 6 months. At the tenth week I developed thrush I immediately went out and got an hiv test done and it was negative I also got a RNA at 12 weeks and another antibody at 13 weeks. The test all came back negative or undectable. Now I am at a cross road with myself. My doctor said I was fine, but I feel he is wrong. I have saved up a good chunk of change for the DNA test. I am so tense I cannot even sleep anymore. Did I do enough testing or should I go for broke with the DNA test. Please respond..

Having PCR tests--tests that detect the presence of virus as opposed to antibodies--performed at this point is probably a waste of money and time. Performing an antibody test at least 3-6 months following exposure (which you did) is much more meaningful than PCR tests performed randomly.

PCR tests are not reliable in determining a person's HIV status. There is a higher rate of false positives and false negatives when compared to the highly reliable antibody tests.

Please see my response to "Accuracy and timing of PCR tests" (http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Testing/Q12489.qna) for more info.

RMK

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Oops
Unregistered

Re: PCR reliablity? new
      #20278 - 08/02/01 11:45 PM

I think they're pretty reliable - just not validated across the board. Yet.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#20290 - 08/03/01 01:32 AM

I completely disagree ..... Ryan is a good man, but not a doctor.

Oops
Unregistered

#20301 - 08/03/01 08:51 AM

Concur. Read Dr. Holodniy's comments on PCR testing, especially the posts from 07/29 (You're Really Scaring Me, and Help to Answer.) They should help.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1215

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3