Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Confidentiality Urban Legend
      #201997 - 07/30/06 02:09 AM

I was recently tested with my girlfriend because of a false rumor that she had claimed she had HIV both of us had negative results sheets, however, they didn't let us see each others results. I didn't think of it much at the time, until I heared the following urban legend, which is likely false, according to the roughly half dozen medical professionals.

"A tech who gave HIV tests in a mobile testing truck gave a test to a man who had a pregnant wife. When the man tested positive, he asked the tech to help him tell his wife. When the man came back, he said that he was negative to his wife, but because of confidentiality, the tech could only sit there silently and hang his head"

This is an obvious urban legend, the "Pregnant Wife" part is an embellishment added to make it sound more horrifying, ect. But it scared me alot, because I started doubting the results sheet for my girlfriend, thinking that she could of claimed domestic violence fears or something to get them to give her false positive results, ect. Suddenly I started getting all the "Symptoms" of ARS, thinking that my tempature of 98.6 was really a fever, thinking my coated tounge was thrush, ect ect.

All because I didn't think I could trust the HIV test results, but after asking 6 different health professionals, including an expert on "The Body", and two nurses from planned parenthood (where I was tested with my girlfriend), I can finally say that I have nothing to worry about, and you should not think that "Confidentiality" goes as far as faking partners results, don't make the mistake I did, because it's ruined the last month of my life.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
Re: Confidentiality Urban Legend new
      #202354 - 08/02/06 05:56 PM

I don't mean to play amateur psychologist, but I think this shows you have some trust issues with your girlfriend. Ann Landers would suggest counseling.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1269

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3