Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Worried About Infection - Thank U 4 Advice
      #201114 - 07/23/06 11:36 PM

Hello, I recently had my first series of sexual experiences ever in the past four weeks and am now worrying, kicking myself, stressing to the point of gray hairs, and hating myself because of potential HIV symptoms that I'm now experiencing. I would really appreciate any comments/advice you have for me. God bless you all for taking your time to help people like me!

Back in mid-June, I recieved and gave oral sex to another guy on three separate occasions within a timespan of three weeks (the last experience happened a week ago). No protection was used during this sex; however, I don't believe that I had mouth sores or any visible cuts in my mouth. In addition, the guy never fully ejaculated in the mouth - just on the hands. However, during the first experience, a bit of his semen did get in my eye. In addition, I had a small sore on my hand (it had a partial scab on it, but the skin appeared to be thin still and probably came in contact with his semen). I don't believe that the partner was HIV positive; however, I am unsure as he himself is unsure (he's only had one boyfriend before me). In addition, we also fingered each other anally; however, the fingers more than likely had nothing other than saliva on them (not semen - perhaps small, trace amounts, but they were wiped before). Kissing also occured; however, from what I've read, that's not a way to pass HIV.

Anyways, about four weeks after the initial experience, I developed a headache and achieved a temperature of 101.5 degrees. I also at this time started to experience night sweats waking up to find myself really sweaty, and during the day I would have cold sweats at time (these are two things that I've never really experienced). I also slept a lot and when I got up would be quite dizzy when trying to walk around. I also had some sharp pains in my right knee and near my kidney/liver (they only lasted a second or so each though and occured only for a day or two). After taking some standard medicine (Ibuprofen), the fever went down within two or three days. However, once the fever went down, my throat became very sore and I could barely even stand to eat as there was extreme pain when I swallowed. I went to the physician who said that my throat was red before when I had the temperature, but now the throat looked really bad. The physician diagnosed me (not via tests but just by symptoms) with coxsackie (hand-foot-mouth virus) and gave me a steroid shot to the arm in addition to steroid pills to take for five days to help relieve the soreness in the throat. It's now been a week since my initial fevor (three days since the painful throat started to clear up) and I can now swallow fine. However, there are some red looking bumps on the back of my throat, and I am having an extreme hiccup problem (I have probably hiccuped 500 times in the past two days since having started taking the steroid pills.). My upper chest is also partially sore, and after all the hiccups, I can taste "throw-up" acid in my mouth (as if the hiccups are causing acid to come up to the mouth). Also, I have a really white-covered tongue and can foam up a lot of extremely white and foamy saliva very quickly. Some of the white stuff seems to be partially solid as well. Today (about a week since the fever initially started), I have experienced two very easily initiated nosebleeds where the blood flowed VERY easily from my nose (and in each case, a huge blood clot came out of each nose soon after the bleeding started).

Anyways, after reading online about the symptons of pre-HIV+, I became VERY worried. Do these symptoms sound typical of HIV? I have read that it's important to wait at least three months before obtaining an HIV test; however, I considered getting one immediately (since it's been about 4-5 weeks now) and then one later as well. Any comments/advice concerning this issue would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eleniel
Guru

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Utah, USA
Re: Worried About Infection - Thank U 4 Advice new
      #201115 - 07/24/06 12:05 AM

First of all, you can't diagnose HIV by symptoms.
That being said, most people test + by 6 weeks (if not sooner)

--------------------
6/29/2010: vl 68,000 cd4: 205

Regret101
All Star

Reged: 07/07/06
      #201121 - 07/24/06 08:53 AM

You have written a lot here with symptoms and such. Well symptoms that you wrote very well all could be from the diagnosis that your doctor gave you. These are symptoms of coxsakie. Go and get a test. Average time of seroconversion is 25 days so your test will give you some assurance. You will need to follow up at 3 months. USE PROTECTION every time in the future. The oral sex is low risk but unprotected sex is a risk you can negate with protection.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#201173 - 07/24/06 07:24 PM

I went for a rapid oral test today (it's been about 4 or 5 weeks after the endangering encounter) and the test came back negative. They were sure to tell me that this test doesn't mean much since it's been so recent after the encounter, but at least it's peace of mind for now (until the real test two months or so down the road). I also went to the dentist for a cleanup and they officially diagnosed me with thrush kind of scary as well, but it's possible the doctor told me it's possible the steroids I was taking for the mouth weakened my immune system and helped to spur that infection.

Anyways, thanks again for all your thoughts. I'll keep this post updated once I get another test.

Random question if you all don't mind - what's the average time it takes for the conversion to HIV to take place. I know that you've all said 3 months and 6 months are the big kickers, but generally, will HIV+ be noticeable by a time as short as 4-6 weeks? Thanks a million, and again, whether my future tests come back positive or negative, I will always be grateful for the support that people have given me and others on this forum. I'm sure you probably get tired of hearing the same questions or people posting every 5 minutes with the same concerns, but just know that even a small reply can mean a world of difference to someone (I know now). Thanks!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1734

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3