Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

cd4 count
      #201050 - 07/23/06 03:03 AM

is there any way of getting around having an hiv test? like could i just have my doctor test my cd4 count instead. would you be able to tell from that whether or not it seemed like i needed to be tested?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: cd4 count new
      #201068 - 07/23/06 08:21 AM

There is no way to get around an HIV test. It is the ONLY way to determine your status.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#201075 - 07/23/06 11:00 AM

If you are worried about asking your doctor for the test, depending on where you live there are likely alternatives. Many US states have testing centers with rapid tests, some allowing you to get tested anonymously. To be honest, even if they demand a name, you can provide a false one if it is that big a deal to you (not recommending this just stating it). You can also arrange an anaonymous test with a testing company. These can be found online.

SA_Intellect
Guru

Reged: 03/27/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
      #201086 - 07/23/06 12:13 PM

No there is not and why would you want to do that anyway?

A CD4 count only tests the health of a person's immune system. A person with HIV can have a CD4 count within normal ranges before the disease become very advanced. Morever, a low CD4 count will only tell that the immune system is suppressed but doesn't indicate why.

An HIV test indicates whether or not the body is producing anti-bodies that are used to fight HIV and the results of these are faster to obtain than a CD4 or viral load test.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#201088 - 07/23/06 02:29 PM

CD4 counts are very variable and no one CD4 test can tell you anything, including if there is immune suppression of any type. Stress, time of day, for women time of month, any cough, cold or sniffle, etc will cause the count to vary widely. What is useful to patients is the pattern that develops over time. Figure for a least a year, it's only somewhat helpful, but after about 4 tests a pattern then emerges showing the general direction of the CD4 count, this combinned with Viral load tests is how this test is useful.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#201089 - 07/23/06 02:48 PM

okay. thank you for your time. yes, that's mainly what i was wondering. i didn't want to actually have to take the test if there was another way to find out. i guess i have to go. thanks

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2411

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3