Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Lydia
Unregistered

KS Question
      #200741 - 07/20/06 11:41 AM

Can Karposi's Sarcoma show up a few months after initial HIV infection?

Does it take time to develop or can this show up right after infection?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: KS Question new
      #200760 - 07/20/06 01:34 PM

Are you actually diagonsed with this or self diagnosed? Karposi's sarcoma is a rare form of cancer that is often seen in advanced AIDS patients no not right after infection. I would guess that you are self diagnosing and looking for symptoms and such is really useless. Get a test at 6 weeks past exposure and 12 weeks past exposure to make sure you are not infected.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200799 - 07/20/06 06:29 PM

Actually KS is one of the very few Opportunistic Infections that can occur with a high CD4 count, as opposed to most which don't show up until after the CD4 has fallen to below 200.

BUT I will agree with the other poster that it's useless to guess. If you are worried. Test. Speculation is just a waste of time.

From the fact sheets at http://www.aegis.com/

K.S." This is part of a series on Opportunistic Infections ("OIs"). Please note that --

This Page Is Just A Starting Point: ĘGIS is a great place for you to find overview information about HIV and opportunistic infections, but it is not a substitute for getting medical advice from a doctor who specializes in treating HIV.
Finding The Latest Information: Advances in treating opportunistic infections can happen at any time, so the material on this page may be outdated. Some links in the see also section at the bottom of this page are actually special database links. They may contain information published after this page was written.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Classification
cancer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description
This is the most common AIDS-related cancer. It is much more common among gay and bisexual men than other groups.
There is some evidence that KS is actually a kind of herpes virus. Other evidence shows KS may not be a true cancer but a problem in the way blood cells are formed -- angiogenesis.
Symptoms are red to purpule lesions. They commonly appear on the skin, but KS nodules can also be on internal organs -- lymph nodes, mouth, gastrointestinal tract, and lungs.
The survival rate for those with KS has improved dramatically since the mid-1980s.
The US Centers For Disease Control considers KS an AIDS-defining condition.

Danger Zone
K.S. is possible at any CD4+ range, but it is more likely in those with CD4+ counts under 200 cells/mm.
NOTE: If you are undergoing treatment that has increased your CD4+ levels, see the important note on Naive T-Cells. There is some evidence that you should use the lowest CD4+ level you ever had when considering your risk for some opportunistic infections.

Treatment
Liposomal daunorubicin, liposomal doxorubicin
Recombinant human alpha interferon (only if CD4+ > 200/mm
Radiation therapy

See Also...
ĘGIS Knowledgebase: KS Drugs
ĘGIS Knowledgebase: KS Clinical Trials
ĘGIS Knowledgebase: AIDSline KS Articles

Being Alive Newsletter: KS Overview (1995)
ATN: Possible KS Virus Discovered (1994)
CATIE: Immunomodulators and KS (1994)
GMHC: Pregnancy Hormone Studied for KS (1994)
Being Alive Newsletter: KS Community Forum (1996)
ATN: KS And "Poppers" (1993)
ATDN: Herpes Cancer ? (1995)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200812 - 07/20/06 07:55 PM

Agreed. I have read that KS can be one of the earliest symptoms in fast progressors and happens when CD4 counts are still above the levels where most other opportunistic infections occur. The difference from what most people associate with AIDS' KS is that early KS is not the huge legions seen on late stage Aids patients as were seen early in the epidemic as I have read it. The lesions on a newly infected person are smaller and often just red spots. That is what I have read.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 903

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3