Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Regret101
All Star

Reged: 07/07/06
Rapid Testing in Canada
      #199701 - 07/12/06 10:57 AM

If you are Canadian you probably know that rapid testing was instituted and then taken away because of testing not being accurate enough. Well I did some research and found out that Rapid Testing is in Ontario(Toronto). In only ONE PLACE in Ontario (sorry dont know about other provinces)!!! I have waited and waited and took two tests at 3+5 weeks(blood testing). The anticipation is awful. I then went at 8 weeks for a rapid test....what a freaking difference. (I dont suggest that people get tested this often as I really should of waited till 3 months)
For any "experts" in Canada reading this lets get with the times and get rapid testing more available in Canada.
I think it would also help stop the spread of the virus as many people have been unfaithful and what would one say to his/ her significant other with a bruise on your arm from a blood test. Judge me that is fine I have accepted my faults. I almost didnt get tested c/c the fact that the bruise would be there but had to for my wife because of this.
RAPID TESTING FOR CANADA!!! LET'S Get on it!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Rapid Testing in Canada new
      #199702 - 07/12/06 11:03 AM

They have the OraQuick rapid test available free where I live here in the US and it requires no blood, just a swabbing in the mouth. It is a lot more convenient than a blood draw and knowing the answer in 20 minutes is great!

catou

Reged: 07/06/06
Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #199716 - 07/12/06 01:30 PM

You're fortunate to have had access to rapid testing. I live in Toronto as well and I KNOW I've been directly exposed to HIV multiple times through my boyfriend who tested positive this Spring.

I've had a P24 antigen and an Elisa test done four weeks after my last exposure through a public health clinic. Both came out negative. I went for my 9 week Elisa test a week ago and I'm anxiously awaiting the results.

The good news coming out of all this is that my boyfriend and I are supporting each other and that our relationship is growing through this difficult period.

I've had a lot of time in the last five weeks to get myself prepared for the eventuality of a positive result. Even though I'm still quite agitated, my state of mind is better. I realize that there are lots of good times left to be enjoyed even after the diagnosis. I have two young children that I'm raising on my own and I know now that I can still look forward to a happy future with them no matter what.

This website is full of insiring stories....

We can trace my boyfriend's infection back to last Summer, before we met. He experienced very severe symptoms then and went to the doctor. He was considered at very low risk for HIV (two partners in the last six years) so they never checked. Instead, they tested for West Nile virus. How we both wish they had tested then to avoid some of the stress...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#199727 - 07/12/06 02:12 PM

Best of luck with your results. I hope all turns out well for you and your boyfriend!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#199736 - 07/12/06 02:25 PM

Catou I am sure you are still very scared and feel as though "you must have the virus"!! I had a low risk encounter and felt as though I was for sure infected. The average median of people that test positive is 21-25 days and with a P24 you would be able to detect sooner. Your tests results are very encouraging so SMILE!! 9 weeks will be almost conclusive. I know with your situation you will need to test again at 12 and 13 weeks. I dont want to give the internet site out for 1000 people but just search out hassle free womans clinic toronto and you will figure it out. The rapid test is available to you. So WHEN YOUR NEG!! 9 week comes in you can have quicker results in the future. BTW- i am not at my normal computer but I am REGRET101 and would love to help you through this as I had a lot of support from this site. Just keep us posted and enjoy life and your kids! I hope your boyfriend is doing well.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#199890 - 07/13/06 10:31 AM

I didn't think Rapid Testing was approved here in Ontario! Where did you get it from, as even the hassle free in Toronto has people do the regular two week blood tests.

Regret101
All Star

Reged: 07/07/06
      #201131 - 07/24/06 11:04 AM

No the hassle free in toronto does rapid and IF positive follow up with a ELISA blood test.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1929

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3