Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
missy
Unregistered

partner positive - now im preg - am i too?
      #199369 - 07/09/06 08:04 PM

i have a question, i suppose i have spent days sifting thru info on the net and its all alot to take in - maybe people with personal experience are better suited 2 help me.....here goes:
my partner was hiv pos but unaware of his status, i finally concieved (fell pregnant) and then during this time we have found out that he is positive after he fell ill and a doctor decided to do a test 4 it.... he had been tested in the past with neg results but a few months before i fell pregnant he put himself at risk (he thinnks this is when he caught hiv). so now that im pregnant does it mean my baby and i have it to? what are our chances considering he was hiv pos and i fell pregnant when that was his known status?.
thanks, god bless.
xox Missy

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: partner positive - now im preg - am i too? new
      #199371 - 07/09/06 08:21 PM

You being pregnant does not mean that you are also postive. I too was once pregnant. After I tested negative.

Get tested.

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #199372 - 07/09/06 08:38 PM

Missy,
Infection does not occur during every exposure. Your partner being pos does NOT automatically make you pos. All pregnant women are required to test for HIV, hepatitis, etc. If it's been at least 3 mos since your exposure, you will soon know the answer.
Even in the worst case scenario that you do test pos, it does not mean your baby will be pos as well. Mother to baby transmission occurs during birth as the baby passes through the birth canal. You can have a c-section to prevent this.
Another way mother to baby transmission occurs is through breast milk, but there are obvious ways around that too.
Why don't you pose your question to Dr. Bob in the prevention (ask the experts) forum?
I hope you and your baby will be fine. Try not to get overly upset as this might hurt the baby...

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

spiderman

Reged: 07/06/06
Loc: California
      #199381 - 07/09/06 10:55 PM

I would like to point out to you that women who are pregnant have a tendency to have a false positive test result. you must be aware of this when you test and make sure whoever tests understands this fact. Please keep us posted. I hope everything will be alright for you and your baby.

--------------------
A 12/13 Week Elisa Test is Beyond a Reasonable Doubt.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#199501 - 07/10/06 10:26 PM

Missy, Your situation is to serious in nature to take suggestions from this site. Dont dispair, there are woman groups out there that will provide you with upper level testing as well as guiding you through the wait and see process. My prayers are that you and your child will be fine. God bless you

missy
Unregistered

#199829 - 07/13/06 02:12 AM

thankyou all for the help and support.... i suppose im scaring myself to death here, and either way its going to be scary to get tested or not to - getting tested just means i will know & i can then move on to the next phase of my life.... i am lacking energy at the moment, suppose its pregnancy and this scare. i will definently kepp u all posted though.... thankyou so much for taking the time for a person u dont even know!!!. apprecaited. one things 4 sure, i now realise that this can happen to anybody, no one is immune and status doesnt discriminate.

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #199847 - 07/13/06 05:58 AM

Missy,
My sis is about 3 and 1/2 mos pregnant. Lack of energy is normal. She feels tired and sleepy all the time. Oh, you will also feel nausea and want to vomit from time to time. Don't confuse any of that with thinking you have HIV. Your Obstetrician will inform you of what to expect...
Good luck!

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2655

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3