Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Acute HIV Question
      #198080 - 06/28/06 02:39 PM

I have a question about the events following a potentially dangerous sexual encounter I had earlier in 2006. I had the encounter and unfortunately did not tell my significant other for about a week and a half. We did have oral sex once or twice during that week and a half time period between the encounter and my confession. We have not had intimate contact since due to my worries.

I started to feel somewhat feverish with swollen gland about 2 weeks after the encounter. My question relates to Acute HIV symptoms though. I got what could be described as flu-like symptoms about 2.5 months after the encounter. What worries me is my SO got a flu like symptom about a week after me. The flu lasted about a week with runny nose, aches and mild fever. Is it common for the acute HIV flu-like symptoms to occur over two months after contact? My impression was it usually is sooner. I'm hoping his was just a regular flu-like bug, but I wanted to ask.

I am the same person who posted the testing question yesterday, and I have tested negative out to 18 weeks, but I am very concerned about hte turn of events and the fact that I still don't feel right.

Regards,

Worried

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Virgo
Grand Master

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Acute HIV Question new
      #198087 - 06/28/06 03:45 PM

First off, might I ask what you "potentially" dangerous encounter was?? If it was not a risk, I would like to tell you to keep you educated on the transmission risks.

Second off, not that it matters how dangerous that encounter really was, because you are NEGATIVE without a doubt!! The window period is 3 months, not 4..5..6..12..24 months. Congrats on your negative status. Now you need to protect it.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198089 - 06/28/06 03:50 PM

The most dangerous behavior. I had never done that before and was extremely upset that it occured. I assumed everyone used protection and did not realize protection was not being used until it had gone on for a while... :(

I have been extremely upset and unable to cope since then these past 4+ months.....

SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
      #198093 - 06/28/06 04:14 PM

Ron,

Acute retroviral syndrome would not appear 2.5 months after infection with HIV. It happens much sooner than that. Your 18 week negative test indicates that you are negative.

S.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198101 - 06/28/06 05:01 PM

[quote]The most dangerous behavior. ( [/quote]

I didn't know protection could be used while sharing needles. You did say the MOST dangerous behavior didn't you? Anal sex is only the second most dangerous behavior. More so if you were the receptive partner.

In any case, none of this matters except to educate you a bit. You are clearly negative. If you can't figure out how to accept that fact, then seek a trained professional that can help you with your problem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198201 - 06/29/06 09:11 AM

Exactly ..............as previous poster said...."potentially dangerous" does not equal HIV positive

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198207 - 06/29/06 09:34 AM

I'm just convinced from what I read that I am a late sero-converter and I have been exposed. Imagining symptoms is one thing and I understand that can be an issue but I have not been right since the feverish feeling started two weeks after the encounter in February. The latest thing is my skin on my arms is problematic. I always have slight hair follicle acne on my arms (which I tend to pick at a little at times but it clears right up after a day or so). When this feverish feeling spread out of my neck and into the rest of my body those little acne bumps that I had recently before popped became extremely angry, red grew in size and were difficult to heal. I had never encountered anything like that before. Then when they healed after a week and a half they left odd, pinkish scars which look very odd.

I also have two other oval shaped sores on my arm with a round center. They have almost healed after a weak but they are different from anything I have ever seen. The tissue around the sore is discolored somewhat purplish and brown. They seem more like cancer than a regular sore.

All of this happening to someone who has never been very sexually active. I do a stupid thing and I get really messed up like this. My luck.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2804

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3