Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unprotected sex
      #19733 - 07/25/01 12:35 PM

If you have unprotected sex, but the guy your with "pulls out" when he's done. Does that make your chances slim? Also if you give a guy oral sex, and accidently swallow, is your risk really high? Please advise!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Oops
Unregistered

Re: Unprotected sex new
      #19736 - 07/25/01 01:21 PM

Unprotected vaginal sex with an infected partner carries a published risk of infection of 1 in 500; lack of ejaculation may lower that some, but doesn't make it safe.

Giving oral sex to a male is listed as a low risk activity, but still carries some risk; swallowing certainly does not lower that risk, it may or may not increase it. Oral sex is nonetheless listed as lower risk that vaginal sex, and vaginal sex is of lower risk than anal sex.

Use a condom.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Unprotected sex new
      #19756 - 07/25/01 05:12 PM

Dear Anonymous:

Unprotected sex (vaginal/anal) is proven as the most efficient method for HIV transmission. If a male uses the method commonly referred to as the rhythm method (he pulls out before ejaculation) this would certainly lower the risk. However, HIV may be concentrated in pre-seminal fluid which thus may be infectious. This act is not risk-free. If the person indeed is infected his viral load would be related to the exact risk (e.g.-a higher viral load 100K+ would be considered much more infectious).

Oral sex carries a much lower risk of infection but again is correlated to numerous factors. Swallowing semen may heighten that risk but it certainly would be a very small increase. Few cases to date document HIV infection from this behavior (oral sex in general). Again viral load would have a definite affect on risk. I would not recommend swallowing semen, and if you feel uncomfortable about oral sex condoms may be used.

Good luck

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1403

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3