Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Massachusetts test
      #197282 - 06/23/06 03:42 PM

Why is it ONLY SIX weeks?? Dont understand that.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Massachusetts test new
      #197287 - 06/23/06 03:56 PM

I have spoken with them a few times and if you had a known exposure they will tell you to test beyond that. I didn't understand that as well, they also told me that if I had symptoms to test out to three or even six. I was more confused after I spoke with them then before I called. It's all bullshit and you have to go off how you feel, shit some docs will say that it's not possibile after six months but then some will say that if you show signs of an HIV infection testing beyond six months may not be a bad idea. Hell if I know!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197319 - 06/23/06 05:12 PM

You're obviously not confortable with the Massachusetts six week window. I doubt if there is anything that anyone here can say to alleviate your doubts. Therefore I would recommend that you test at 13 weeks for a conclusive result.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197333 - 06/23/06 07:08 PM

that is some pretty lame information you just gave out. here is a little clue for the clueless. yahoo this "HHH HIV"

science says the window is 3-5 weeks

and that is just with a elisa test

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197339 - 06/23/06 07:29 PM

The facts are that over 99% of those infected will test positive by 13 weeks.

A tiny fraction (less than 1 percent) will be infected and not show HIV positive by 13 weeks. However, these are almost always people that had immune system deficiencies before they became infected.

There have only been a handful of cases ever recorded of infected people showing negative at six months and then positive after that. It's very, very, very rare.

If you're a healthy person, you will definitely test positive by 13 weeks at the latest if you're infected with HIV. In fact, most will test positive by 8 weeks. If you test negative at 13 weeks, you can consider that a dependable confirmation that you are indeed HIV negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197354 - 06/23/06 08:37 PM

Now that all the speculation and guesses are out of the way.

The test Mass uses is a combined test. P24 antigen and the ELISA.

The body develops the P24 within a few days of infection before antibodies to HIV are developed. As the antibodies to the virus appear, the antigen starts to disappear. Hence the test is looking for either the P24 or the antibodies, either which will certainly appear by 6 weeks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197358 - 06/23/06 09:07 PM

massachusetts does not use a p24 antigen test. those antigens are gone by week 4 so a test looking for antigens after 6 weeks is worthless. man the people here with the wrong info is just amazing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

wrong info from let's play internet doctors new
      #197361 - 06/23/06 09:12 PM

[quote]Now that all the speculation and guesses are out of the way.

The test Mass uses is a combined test. P24 antigen and the ELISA.

The body develops the P24 within a few days of infection before antibodies to HIV are developed. As the antibodies to the virus appear, the antigen starts to disappear. Hence the test is looking for either the P24 or the antibodies, either which will certainly appear by 6 weeks. [/quote]

The p24 test identifies actual HIV viral particles in blood (p24 is a protein found in HIV). However, the p24 test is generally only positive from about one week to 3 - 4 weeks after infection with HIV. The p24 protein cannot be detected until about a week after infection with HIV because it generally takes that long for the virus to become established and multiply to sufficient numbers that they can be detected. The p24 proteins then become undetectable again after sufficient antibodies to HIV have been produced because they bind to the p24 protein and eliminate it from the blood. Once antibodies are produced, the p24 test will register negative even in people who are infected with HIV. At that point, the regular HIV antibody test will then be positive. Later in the course of HIV, p24 protein levels again become detectable.

Massachusetts does not use this test. They use a standard Elisa test and tell people to wait at least 6 weeks after they have been at risk.

<yawn> get your facts right

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: wrong info from let's play internet doctors new
      #197374 - 06/23/06 10:22 PM

Mass is right 6 weeks for almost everybody period. if you are not estatic with a Neg.6 week test get another @ 12. i would bet even that will not help alot of folks.

One little know fact about Mass is they only say 6 weeks for a Elsia blood drawn test not Orasure. Why you ask; what do you think? The answer latter. D.J.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197379 - 06/23/06 10:54 PM

[quote]massachusetts does not use a p24 antigen test. those antigens are gone by week 4 so a test looking for antigens after 6 weeks is worthless. man the people here with the wrong info is just amazing. [/quote]

I said that test looks for either OR. Yes, the P24 doesn't last long, but can be pick up on the 4th Generation test before antibodies are developed AGAIN READ...EITHER OR WILL BE DETECTED. Which is why the test is considered conclusive by 6 weeks.

Get your facts together dumbass.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: either or new
      #197398 - 06/24/06 03:24 AM

your the fucking dumb ass because MA does not use this test...what was your name again ? the one who got knocked off of aids meds ? dumb ass raisin that's the guy.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: either or new
      #197406 - 06/24/06 08:07 AM

Geezzzzz anon. Do u kiss ur mom with that NASTY mouth of yours!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197431 - 06/24/06 11:12 AM

Massachusetts uses the regular Elisa test, not the P24. I called them before about this and asked them if they use a specialized test. The counsellor said no, they use the regular Elisa blood test. Where did you get this information from that they use the P24 antigen?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197432 - 06/24/06 11:18 AM

The do use the 4th generation test. Ann said so on aidsmeds. Thats the ONLY test that conclusive at 6 weeks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Massachusetts test
      #197496 - 06/24/06 11:34 PM

I have seen the crap at aidsmed, and ANNN is not as smart as she thinks. The guideline is 3-6 months period. Dont give a crap what anyone says. Next thing you know it will be 3 weeks. the body dont work that fast most of us.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5722

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3