Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Niclas
Unregistered

4 th Generation Test
      #19642 - 07/23/01 04:50 AM

Regarding this 4 th Test for HIV. This test looks for Antigen and Antibodys. The Antigen is only present the first weeks than the test will be positive for Antibodys. This test is only good in diagnosing HIV at a early stage but the antigens is only present 1-4 weeks after the exposure so IF you are negative after 12 Weeks with the Third generation test you are fine, but to thoose that don´t belives in a accurate result in 12weeks they will not be more confident with this test because of the antigens is only present up to around 4 weeks and you will still have the 6 month window in US and 99.9% accurate at 3 month and 99.9% accurate after 6 month.
Regards from Sweden

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
T-REX
Unregistered

Re: 4 th Generation Test new
      #19643 - 07/23/01 06:43 AM

If a person test negative for both antigen and antibodies after 1 month, then the person is hiv negative, period. If a person tests positive to either antigen or antibodies after 1 month, then the person is hiv positive. The 3 and 6 month window period becomes irrelevant here. That's the future for you!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#19644 - 07/23/01 07:00 AM

so why this discussion about 3 and 6 month? there is no diffrent between 3 and 4th antibody test! The forth generation test is also testing antigens so but it is not more accurate than 3rd generation test after 3 month. Your discussion is that a 4 th generation test is more accurate after one month, So if this test is ok after one month an 3rd generation antibody test is also valid after on month, the antigen test is only valid before the primary infection and after that you need antibody test. Serconversion or primary HIV infection=you have started to built antibody´s. The third generation ELSA have a accuracy of 99.9 and you will probably never have a better antibody test. Remember Antigen disappears when you starts to build antibodys and you are saying that one month test is definite this should means that a 1 or 2 month 3rd generation test is definite today! So why are you still have 6 month for definite answer today in the U.S, this antigen history is only good if you test yourself at the right moment before antibodýs starts to developing and that is in most cases around 4 weeks.

T-REX
Unregistered

#19684 - 07/24/01 07:02 AM

With a 4th generation test, if a person tests negative for antibodies at 1 month and positive for antigen or vice versa, then that person is hiv positive. If both tests are negative after 1 month, then the person is hiv negative. I personally believe and keep reading that a negative antibody test with Eliza 3 at one month is a very good indication of hiv negative status. But we have to carry the cross for the few late seroconverters.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1126

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3