Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

indeterminate result
      #196384 - 06/16/06 03:11 PM

Hello everyone. I will start by giving out my exposures: Exactly one year ago I french kissed a stripper and the next day i woke up with a small blood spot on my lip, althoug i am sure i did not feel she bit me the night before. that left me paranoic for many months. 8 months ago i had sex with a stripper but i wore a condom and it did not break. That is all i did, so my last "possible" exposure was 8 months ago. Yesterday i had an hiv test and it came back indeterminate. CUrrently i am having diarrhea. I have been reading and indeterminate results seem to come when someone took the test during the window period. Because i had sex with condom(my last possible exposure) 8 months ago, i am way past the window period. would this mean that my "indeterminate" result is pretty much a negative for me? and something else triggered this result? please answer. thankyou!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: indeterminate result new
      #196399 - 06/16/06 04:27 PM

Hmmm now lets see. She bit you is that right? Or are you saying she was bleeding and a drop of her blood got on your lip? Anyway Count Dracular you don't have a problem with that exposure. Next an indeterminate result ,Hmmmm again. Where did you get tested? What did they say about it? What kind of test was it? Why no follow up? I know, so many questions D.J.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#196403 - 06/16/06 04:44 PM

I got tested at a small lab. I got tested with the Elisa rapid test. they told me to get a western blot, and i talked to a doctor. she told me that she was pretty much sure i was negative and that most probably my diarrhea and alcohol excess( i partied alot over this past year, probably got drunk 2 times a week) depresed my immune system. anyways, no, the stripper did not have blood that i see and i did not feel that she bit me. it was until the day after that i noticed a small sore on my lip. i wanted to know wut you think about this. one year after this exposure an indeterminate result, wut do u think?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#196441 - 06/16/06 09:24 PM

Well what can I say? First what ever Dr. you talked to knew nothing about testing. They should have given you another Rapid test. Your drinking has nothing to do with the quality of an HIV test. It looks for anti-bodies. However even with that you had no HIV risk so go get another HIV test and move on. D.J.

Anonymous
Unregistered

make it short new
      #196442 - 06/16/06 09:28 PM

Very concisely, because I am 8 months past my last (protected) exposure and myelisa test did not come positive, but indeterminate, would that make me negative???? (i come up with this theory because i cannot be seroconverting after 8 months....)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: make it short new
      #196458 - 06/17/06 04:13 AM

honestly your chances of hiv from the description you gave us is pretty much nil. so i wouldent worry there.

but if i was in your shoes and got a indertermint result i would reset.. indetermint results could be many things, bad test,lab error, not enough blood, etc etc.. i think its best you test again for a confirmed negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: make it short new
      #196468 - 06/17/06 08:27 AM

An indetermint result is gotton as a result from a Western Blot test. If your doctor is saying the ELISA test was an indetermint then it was not done right. A WB is used only to confirm a postive result from the ELISA

The way it works is
Elisa + and WB + then the person is postive.
Elisa + and WB - then the person is negative

Elisa + and WB indetermint then the person tests again in a few weeks. If the results are the same the second time the person is considered to be negative.

No one is ever considered postive unless they have a positive WB confirmation.

Considering your lack of risk in either siutation the answer to your test question must be that it was done wrong.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2124

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3