Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
comix

Reged: 05/25/06
Young and stupid
      #195979 - 06/14/06 12:56 PM

I'm going in for an HIV test in a couple of weeks, and I'm getting a little nervous.

My last boyfriend wasn't as honest as he said he was, but he has always assured me that he has been tested on a regular basis and that he is clear of all STIs and HIV. He was my first real boyfriend, and my first, so being the stupid lovestruck girl that I was,I believed him.

Well, he gave me chlamydia. When I told him this, he admitted that he was with another girl (between getting tested and meeting me). He also admitted to having unprotected sex with 3 other girls in his life, but didn't think it was a big deal.

When I asked him if he has ever gotten tested for HIV, he explained that he gets bloodwork done every now and then for thyroid problems. He is convinced that if he did have HIV, it would have shown up in those tests.
At this point I had to tell him that only an HIV test can determine if you have HIV or not.

It wasn't until after we broke up that i've been able to get this information out of him. We have had unprotected sex three times (with pullout), so I know I have put myself at risk. Sometimes I even wonder if he is being truthful about his "thyroid problems", or if he's lying about that too.

I did have the flu (two weeks after the first time we had unprotected), and didn't think much of it until after we broke up. One thing that did seem odd about my flu at the time was that I had spots all over my stomach and chest, and my arms were bumpy and itchy.

For all I know, it could have been mono, but I'm not ruling out the possibility of HIV either. I don't know what his status is, so only time will tell. Two more weeks until my HIV test...hurrah.

I can't beleive I lost my virginity to this asshole. Thank you for listening, and i'll update once I get the test done.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Virgo
Grand Master

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Young and stupid new
      #195980 - 06/14/06 01:11 PM

First off let me just tell you that you are not stupid. Most have put themselves in your shoes at one time or another.

You do need to get a test done. Has it been at least 3 months since your last unprotected exposure?? If it has then test now, and you will know your status.

I pray you are negative, and you need to know that from this day forward YOU and ONLY YOU are responsable to protect your status ALWAYS!!

Please do keep me posted. I am going to pray for you... It will be fine! :)

comix

Reged: 05/25/06
      #195981 - 06/14/06 01:18 PM

The 2nd of July will be 3 months exactly since last exposure, and I'm getting my test done that week.

Virgo
Grand Master

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Massachusetts
      #195982 - 06/14/06 01:21 PM

Well sweetheart, please do keep us posted.

And NEVER trust your partner unless YOU go with them for testing!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#195999 - 06/14/06 02:55 PM

I really wouldn't worry too much just went thru a similar experience and my results were negative... check the stats on HIV infection in you city you will see the actual amount of people who test positive is really low. STOP reading the internet about symptoms it make things worse...

jambo
Fanatic

Reged: 04/08/06
      #196087 - 06/14/06 09:26 PM

Comix

You are actually showing great courage in taking the right steps. Remember not many are able to do it, especially at your age.
If i understand the experts correctly, you have a real small probability of getting infected with your 3 encounters, even if your guy was pos, which is not certain. In all probability, the guy may not be pos...

Dont worry about the symptoms. all these symptoms are the same...whether it is chlamydia, or just the simple flu. get tested and get back to this forum will your real hurrah!

and, as virgo says, stay protected, with everyone.

jambo

SA_Intellect
Guru

Reged: 03/27/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
      #196242 - 06/15/06 08:22 PM

what an asshole. well, i think you are being brave and mature about this whole thing doing the right thing by getting tested. the unfortunate thing is that, yes, he could have infected you with hiv if he himself is infected and, no, his thyroid tests would not show an hiv infection unless they were looking for antibodies that are produced specifically to combat hiv. an hiv test, for example, won't tell you if you have hepatitis antibodies floating around. be brave and i hope all goes well for you. i think you should use this as a life lesson and don't make the same mistake twice. move forward from this experience a lot smarter.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#196344 - 06/16/06 10:38 AM

No, Dont feel guilty, we all make stupid mistakes. you just need to learn from them. :o)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2299

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3