Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

No rapid test is as good as ELISA.
      #195840 - 06/13/06 04:54 PM

Do some research about the way the tests works. No rapid test will ever be as accurate as ELISA. For example, the rapid test uses just one or two drops of blood. The ELISA uses a lot more, which may lead to more antibodies in the sample... that's just one of the facts.

I don't think rapid test are really accurate at any stage of the disease, well maybe after some years.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
briannan
Expert

Reged: 02/22/06
Re: No rapid test is as good as ELISA. new
      #195842 - 06/13/06 05:09 PM

well.....doesn't Home Access just use drops of blood...and its an Elisa.....?
Rapid tests are extremely, extremely accurate, they wouldn't be using them otherwise.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#195876 - 06/13/06 07:06 PM

interesting theory

Virgo
Grand Master

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Massachusetts
      #195887 - 06/13/06 08:18 PM

Rapid tests are very accurate. If they were not then they would not be getting used everywhere.

ELISA test is also VERY accurate.

Besides after 3 months it does not matter what test or generation you use, its conclusive.

JonCage
Master

Reged: 04/13/06
      #195906 - 06/13/06 11:29 PM

Rapid test are as accurate as ELISA's if not more. They were pulled from the market for a while due to the high sensitivity which resulted in false positives. They are also approved by the FDA, same as the HomeAccess, ELISA, and any other standard antibody test.

Antibodies are found throughout the blood system. They don't concentrate in certain areas and not others. A drop of blood from any part of the body will contain antibodies if they are present.

The reason Rapid tests are not used for diagnoses are the same reasons why an ELISA is also not used. The western blot is the only method for diagnoses since it is more expensive and has a higher accurancy than 99.7%.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

Anonymous
Unregistered

#195944 - 06/14/06 08:39 AM

I have posted this many times. This is from H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D., Senior Health Research Leader at the Battelle Center for Public Health Research and Evaluation, and Clinical Professor of Medicine at the Center of AIDS and STD, University of Washington. D.J.

Question 1) The city clinic in my area offers OraQuick Rapid Testing (both blood and oral swab) for HIV (exam results provided in 20-40 minutes). At what point in time after possible exposure to HIV could the results of this exam be accepted as accurate? I am at the 7 week mark right now

Forum-M.D.-HHH
08/19/2005
Test? 1) The OraQuick HIV test is excellent, just as accurate as other tests except for a slightly more common problem of false-positive results. But your negative result is completely reliable, and 7 weeks after exposure is enough time for the test to become positive. The official advice often is to wait 3 months to be 100% sure, but it really isn't necessary to be tested beyond 6 weeks.

I hope this helps. Best wishes-- HHH, MD

Anonymous
Unregistered

#195954 - 06/14/06 09:41 AM

Its FDA approved, and has been showen to be very accurate.
eventually all intial tests will be using a rapid form of testing. it just means the person gets the results right away which is a big benefit. still a postive has to be verified by WB, but a negative is conclusive if your past the 13 week window period.

lot of times with Elisa in public clinics people never return to get their results 2 weeks later.. i think they # was 30% of hiv postive never came back to get the results.. with rapid you get it right there. its a big advantage and its accurate.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#196016 - 06/14/06 03:47 PM

but a negative is conclusive if your past the 13 week window period.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Exactly what is it about the above post and 6 week test you don't understand. This 3 month B/S is driving me nuts. D.J.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#196030 - 06/14/06 04:33 PM

DJ there are a lot of 13 week Nazis here from that other site who are blind to what science says and parrot the politicians.

For the record a top researcher in HIV told me via email over 90% of people will have a positive Result by week 6.

12 weeks is conclusive. I wish those 13 week nazis wold go back to the other website.

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #196041 - 06/14/06 04:47 PM

Virgo
Grand Master

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Massachusetts
      #196051 - 06/14/06 05:02 PM

A 6 week test is probably between 97*99% accurate. Here in Massachusetts a negative at 6 weeks is 99.2% accurate.

13 week is the golden ticket, and CONCLUSIVE!!
Rapid, ELISA, whatever....they are all conclusve at 13 weeks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#196098 - 06/14/06 10:08 PM

In Massachusetts a 6 week test IS conclusive. There is no need for a further test at 3 months as far as the Commonwealth is concerned.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#196127 - 06/15/06 07:09 AM

What I find funny about this is as soon as some Gov. person changes the window period to 8 weeks all will be saying 8 weeks is conclusive. If some would take the time to read case reports they would see the Dr always mentioning conversion time of 3 to 6 weeks. The CDC is a world wide org. and has to take into account the RARE cases. Also if you follow the haloed Dr. BOB you will see he has very few neg. replies about the 6 week window period lately D.J.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198057 - 06/28/06 12:00 PM

I was visiting another site and one of the admins there said that he got very sick and the doctors could not determine the cause. They finally ran a pcr test and it came back finding HIV. They continued to test with the Elisa to see when it would come back with a positive and it took another 2.5 months (5.5 months after the exposure). 6 Months is the most sure testing window.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6489

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3