Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why does HIV continue to spread?
      #194486 - 06/04/06 05:17 PM

I saw a report on my local TV station that said that HIV continues to spread in American cities. Why aren't young people heeding the message and using condoms? Is unprotected sex worth a life time of being on toxic drugs?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Why does HIV continue to spread? new
      #194487 - 06/04/06 05:35 PM

Sounds to me like you found your calling!!

Stresser
Expert

Reged: 03/29/06
      #194492 - 06/04/06 06:06 PM

A lot of kids dont think it can happen to them. Get the message out there... do some volunteer work and help spread the message that condoms do indeed work!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#194502 - 06/04/06 06:30 PM

It's the age old story of the "Little Head" taking control of the "Big head" D.J.

sunkyst
Master

Reged: 03/22/06
      #194526 - 06/04/06 09:05 PM

It is very sad. especially when you hear about guys as young as 18 testing positive.

From what I've read recently it would appear that the methamphetamine epidemic in America may be causing many people to abandon safer sex practices. The drug makes people hyper sexual, feel more confident and impairs their ability to practice safer sex.

Then there are those out there who believe that HIV is no longer a big deal, that you can just take a pill or two a day and be fine. No one tells them about the possible side effects, the health care costs, possible drug resistance issues and the fact that ultimately there is still no cure for HIV.

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #194545 - 06/04/06 11:50 PM

Anonymous
Unregistered

#194568 - 06/05/06 10:03 AM

and the ONLY affective effort is abstinance,etc. This combined with other politics is why its still spreading......telling a young person to stay abstinant is UNREALISTIC... <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

That really isn't true. The gay community gets hyper about this. I am always puzzeld to see posts from Dr. Bob and others pertaining to abstinance. The Gov. simply advises that abstinance is the BEST way to protect yourself, gee what a surprise!! Why that fact is not aknowledged is beyond me. It is directed at young people who BTW practiced abtinance for for hundreds of years befor the so-called sexual revolution. It obviosly is NOT the only thing and we have to understand human sexuality but to discount the safest way young people can protect themselves until they are more mature is silly. D.J.

ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
      #194569 - 06/05/06 10:17 AM

Here goes D.J. again with his ridiculous gay comments.....A2H is NOT gay. so why bring up the "gay community" regarding a hetero's statement? Are you seriously this homophobic that you blame everything on the gay community?

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

#194578 - 06/05/06 11:07 AM

Anonymous
Unregistered

#194619 - 06/05/06 04:46 PM

Bullshit DJ...i work in my community, speak publicly about hiv education & prevention, and the government REFUSES funds to ANYONE who wont preach abstinance as the way to prevent HIV.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

Hey A2 that's ok ,I'm not sensitive. You have reallty answered the intent of my post. The hostility that abstinance faces with some folks in incredible. What exactly is wrong with INCLUDING abstinance in any STD prevention program? I'll give you the answer,NOTHING. For some reason in the GAY community it has become a rallying point which to be honest is simply politics. There is nothing wrong with talking about abstiance in fact it is almost immoral not to. It is simply another tool in the fight against all STD'S. Have a good day, I'm not picking a fight its just the way it is.

As far as Faith goes she will make it personel ,so no need to respond.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#194623 - 06/05/06 05:03 PM

Wow, I posted before I read you whole post. Gay Rant; exactly were do you get that from. Calling you Gay, Hmmm I really don’t care what you are and have never implied such. I think you just joined to supper sensitive club. I guess one is not to mention the prevalence of HIV within the Gay community. If that is the case, then monies targeted to that community should be redirected is that correct?

Lets get real, you’re saying you are a TV speaker on HIV prevention and you rail about abstinence? You won’t even mention it? You assume by my post that I am not aware that condom use is at the top of the prevention list, RIGHT BELOW ABSTINACE. I hope you modify your approach to your teaching. Also please be aware some of us also have very impressive credential pertaining to the fight against not only HIV but other STD’S as well. D.J.

sunkyst
Master

Reged: 03/22/06
      #194627 - 06/05/06 05:17 PM

You're absolutely right, there is nothing wrong with teaching about abstinence. However, the Bush administration is pushing abstinence only education. In a perfect world, everyone would be abstinent until they met that perfect one. However, this is not realistic. Along with abstinence, we need to teach young people about how HIV is spread and how to stop it with safer sex. Otherwise the virus will continue to spread unchecked.

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

#194659 - 06/05/06 08:30 PM

JonCage
Master

Reged: 04/13/06
      #194671 - 06/05/06 11:10 PM

According to new data in the UNAIDS 2006 Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic, the AIDS epidemic appears to be slowing down globally, but new infections are continuing to increase in certain regions and countries. The report also shows that important progress has been made in country AIDS responses, including increases in funding and access to treatment, and decreases in HIV prevalence among young people in some countries over the past five years. An estimated 38.6 million people are living with HIV worldwide. Approximately 4.1 million people became newly infected with HIV, while approximately 2.8 million people died of AIDS-related illnesses in 2005. While the epidemic’s toll remains massive, experts find reasons for optimism, as well as guidance for how to improve the AIDS response, in the report released on May 30th.

“Encouraging results in HIV prevention and treatment indicate a growing return on investments made in the AIDS response,” said UNAIDS Executive Director Dr. Peter Piot. “We are reaching a critical mass in terms of improvements in funding, political leadership and results on the ground, from which global action against AIDS can and must be greatly accelerated. The actions we take from here are particularly important, as we know with increasing certainty where and how HIV is moving, as well as how to slow the epidemic and reduce its impact."

The new report is being released in advance of the United Nations General Assembly 2006 High Level Meeting on AIDS, which will take place from May 31st until June 2nd .

The report cites significant improvements in several elements of the global AIDS response. In the key area of financial resources, the US $8.3 billion available for the AIDS response in 2005 is more than five times the funding available in 2001, and is well within the Declaration of Commitment target range. The report also cites significant increases in global political leadership, which is key to maintaining the AIDS response at the centre of national and international development planning.

It's slow, but the message is getting out there. If you look at hte posts on this forum, it reasonable to assume that many of these posters are in their early to late teens which is a good sign that the message is getting thru. Unlike a decade ago, were it was deemed taboo to get an HIV test and many didn't test at all.

I understand the proper use of resources but I find it encouraging that today's youth continue to test for HIV even when there was not risk at all. People that test when they have protected sex or oral sex are unlikely to be hesitant to test when they do come across an actual risk.

It takes along time for any action plan to come into affect, but so far we have made big strides since the first appearance of HIV.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

Anonymous
Unregistered

#194672 - 06/05/06 11:13 PM

I am sensitive to one thing.....people spreading the beliefs of bullshit, pertaining to hiv* >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

Hmmmm I guess reading with emotion is tough for some. Nothing I have said is B/S. You are correct condom use in the "real world "will help stem std's. You are dead wrong not to include Abstinence. Even in "the real world" someone will be touched by this part of a lesson which might save their life.D.J.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6631

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3