Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thrush and other questions
      #194397 - 06/03/06 10:08 PM

I had a low risk exposure (receiving oral sex and fingering with broken skin). About two weeks later I started getting severe joint pain. I wasn't even thinking about HIV as I thought I was not exposed. However my wife developed thrush at week 4. She had no other symptoms. She has no antibiotics, steroids or other conditions to cause thrush. We have now both been tested at 6 weeks negative oraquick oral test, I also had a P24 antigen negative at 5 weeks. My questions are as follows.

Would ARS present as only thrush in my wife?
How low risk are my exposures?
How much confidence should I have in a 6 week elisa combined with 5 week P24?

Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SA_Intellect
Regular

Reged: 03/27/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Re: Thrush and other questions new
      #194414 - 06/03/06 11:57 PM

your activities were very low risk. ARS can present itself as several things including thrush, a severe flu or not at all. most people who have hiv will test postive within 8 weeks with but the more certain number or weeks is 12. right now, i would think you don't have much to worry about if that's the only risky sex you've had.

JonCage
Regular

Reged: 04/13/06
      #194425 - 06/04/06 02:44 AM

Receiving oral or fingering with cuts pose no risk of infection. You didn't need a test in the first place.

ARS is not specific. If it occurs it's general, come all at once and go away at the same time.

Despite your uneccessay test, they are conclusive.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

SteveR
Veteran

Reged: 07/19/05
      #194436 - 06/04/06 08:12 AM

Thrush can occur in healthy people. I had oral thrush about six years ago and I'm negative. It can be an HIV indicator but it doesn't have to be, and as the others have mentioned, you had no risk based on the incident you describe.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#194451 - 06/04/06 11:40 AM

Your risk of exposure was non existent to begin. Your tests prove this. No further testing is needed in your case. The symptoms that your wife is having are most likely being caused by stress.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#195211 - 06/08/06 10:00 PM

Just a follow up the thrush could not have been caused by stress because my wife was not aware of this whole situation at that time. She also had a swollen lymph node behind her ear. We have now both tested negative at 6 weeks using Orasure which is a good sign. I just can't get over the Thrush thing as no one seems to have a good explantion of what could have caused it in her. No antibiotics,no steroids, no other symptoms. This was definitely oral thrush as it was a definitve diagnosis at a Drs office.

Enough for the venting some more question.

If my wife had thrush after an exposure, would it be likely to be elisa positive 3 weeks after the thrush??

If she had thrush from HIV ars wouldn't she have more symptoms?

Would other of her blood counts be off if she had Thrush due to hiv? Dr said at 1 week post Thrush that all blood work looked normal. I am so confused.

Does anyone know any other source of Oral thrush than the one commonly listed: antibiotics,steroids,HIV/AIDS,immunosuppression.

ARRGH!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3383

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3