Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Suppressed immune system
      #194372 - 06/03/06 07:38 PM

Hello,

I was just wondering what types of things suppress your immune system, which I know can delay your HIV test from coming up positive?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sunkyst
Master

Reged: 03/22/06
Re: Suppressed immune system new
      #194382 - 06/03/06 08:06 PM

Chemotherapy treatment may cause the immune system to become suppressed. Prolonged drug use can be another cause.

Stresser
Expert

Reged: 03/29/06
      #194409 - 06/03/06 10:58 PM

Chemotherapy, organ transplant and or prologned drug use can cause the immune system to become suppressed. Even then a lot of people still test pos within the guidelines.....

SA_Intellect
Guru

Reged: 03/27/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
      #194415 - 06/04/06 12:00 AM

viral load tests actually look for the presence of hiv in the body but those can only be ordered by a doctor. that is another method of hiv detection one feels their immune system is already suppressed.

JonCage
Master

Reged: 04/13/06
      #194421 - 06/04/06 02:15 AM

Everyone's immune system is different. Health people have stong and weak immune systems, hence the window period.

The things that MAY require a 6 month window are those"

1) On treatment for cancer (Chemo). By just having cancer does not delay production of antibodies.

2) Taking anti-rejection drugs for an organ transplant. These drugs are designed to severally depress the immune system so that it does not reject the transplant.

3) Long term IDU's. We are talking about years and years on continual use that would do extensive damage to the person's body.

4) Occupational exposures or sexual exposures were a PEP regimen is prescribed.

Even the majority of these risk groups will seroconvert within 3 months. In today's time, if it's documented that a person seroconverts past 3 months, they will go down in the hall of fame of medical journals no matter which risk group they are in.

People keep talking about the CDC's recommendation about 6 months and the whole 3% that will seroconvert after 3 months. it's more like less than 1% will seroconvert after 3 months. The CDC has to be conservative. They can't say ever say 100% because there will alway be some unique medical condition that will cause a person to need a test beyond 3 months.

If you have to sit and wonder wether you have one of these medical conditions, you certainly do not.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
3 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3477

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3