Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeast infections
      #19434 - 07/18/01 10:26 AM

I have heard that recurring yeast infections are a sign of HIV positive status in women. I had a possible exposure 6 months ago, and since then, I had a yeast infection that would not go away for 2 months. then I had a break for 4 months, now I have another one. Does this occur later as the virus begins to take over your body, or could I be experiencing this so quickly? Thank you....

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Oops
Unregistered

Re: yeast infections new
      #19439 - 07/18/01 12:22 PM

Have you been tested for HIV? If it's 6 months ago, go for it - unlike a lot of us here, you'd only have to test once.

Can't help you with the yeast infection question, but I'm sure someone else can.

Candy
Unregistered

#19445 - 07/18/01 02:06 PM

I found this article about Yeast infections. Anything from stress to antibiotics to hormonal changes can cause yeast infections. And yes, HIV can be a culprit in yeast infections. But, I would suggest you get tested to put your mind at ease. Have you spoke with an HIV counselor? They can determine your risk level. I hope this article helps. Best of luck to you! And if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Candidiasis is caused by one of four varieties of candida: Candida albicans, Candida glabrata, Candida tropicalis, and Candida krusei. By far the most common—causing nearly 80% of vaginal yeast infections—is Candida albicans. Most people have these organisms in the genital or intestinal tract to some degree at various times. It's the overgrowth of the fungus that causes problems.

There are a number of causes for this uncontrolled growth, usually related to some type of immune suppression. A significant change in diet can often be a trigger. In other instances, it's due to use of antibiotics to treat another infection, such as strep throat or acne. Broad-spectrum antibiotics such as penicillin or tetracycline can kill or suppress helpful bacteria in the genital tract, allowing yeast to grow unchecked.

It's even possible that an underlying disorder, like diabetes, is the root cause of the infection. When physicians see recurring yeast infections without another cause, they have to wonder about HIV disease. Because HIV (the virus that leads to AIDS) involves a lowering of the immune system, it could significantly impair a woman's ability to combat yeast.

Yeast infections can be passed back and forth between partners during intercourse. But because yeast is frequently present anyway, a sexual partner is more likely to pick up the infection if his or her immune system is also depressed.

Immunity can become depressed by a number of factors besides HIV infection. Illness or infection of any kind weakens one's immune system. Physical or mental stress can also wreak havoc, leaving the immune system less able to combat yeast infections. Lack of sleep, poor nutrition, and some medications can upset the body's balance, allowing yeast to thrive. Pregnant women also have a tendency to have more yeast infections, as the immune system becomes temporarily altered by hormonal surges.

Oops
Unregistered

#19450 - 07/18/01 04:50 PM

Here you go:

"Hi.Thank you for your question.

It would be highly unusual for symptoms related to AIDS to appear as early as 4 months after infection. The symptoms related to AIDS and opportunistic diseases don't begin until an average of 10 years after infection. Candidiasis (yeast infections) in the mouth (also called Thrush) or recurrent vaginal Candidiasis are indications of a damaged immune system, which can include HIV infection. But a person can have Thrush, or recurrent vaginal yeast infections, that are unrelated to HIV. Only testing and seeing a physician can determine whether a person has Candidiasis, and what the cause of the problem is. Remember, having Candidiasis is not necessarily AIDS related, but in persons with HIV, this infection is not usually seen until literally years after infection.

My best advice to you at this point is to see a physician to see what is causing your symptoms. If you are concerned about HIV infection, if it's been more than 6 months after a possible exposure to the virus, the tests are more than 99% accurate. Also, if you test negative for HIV at the time that you're showing symptoms, that indicates that your symptoms are not AIDS related.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the Centers for Disease Control at 1-800-342-2437 (Nationwide). Rick Sowadsky MSPH CDS "

Anonymous
Unregistered

#19474 - 07/19/01 05:20 AM

Yeast Infection I the Vagina is very common in girls more tha 50% of all woman will have Yeast infection. This could be because antibiotics and so on also Soap bath, tight pants and so on. Please don´t panic about this and remember Yeast infection could be very hard to get rid off. A HIV test is 99.9% accurate in 3 month if you don´t have chemotherapy, suppresive drug user or Have Lupus this can delay antibody production. In sweden were I lives we only test after 3 month because we don´t have someone that have taking longer, I haven´t heard so many taking longer in Europe. In sweden we only does this 6 month test in cases that have recived HIV medication after a exposure. I think many doctors(hiv experts) can agree about this 3 month test is enough but they can´t say that because CDC says six month and the doctors can be black listed if the say something else.
Regards
S

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5637

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3