Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Negative at 3 months.
      #193856 - 05/31/06 06:27 PM

I recently tested negative at 3 months following an unprotected sex incident. Is this considered conclusive or is more testing needed?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Negative at 3 months. new
      #193877 - 05/31/06 08:11 PM

Not to scare you, but you really should test again 6 months just to be 100% sure. It's true that a test at 3 months is probably about 99% certain but if you want to be 100% certain without a doubt that you weren't infected, you should test again at 6 months especially if you have any unexplained symptoms.

See this story of a guy who didn't develop antibodies almost 6 months after his exposure. Here's the link and his comments:
http://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=6&m=500254

<<<This is only from personal experience, but I do think that people should be aware of different cases so not to be misinformed.

"It usually takes 60 to 90 days and the threshold is 13 weeks for a marker for negative status, but we can't say that someone is definitely positive after a 10 week negative result. I only say this from experience. I tested negative for antibodies on an Elisa up to 113 days after exposure, I was diagnosed by a PCR Antigen test at 81 days and was negative on Elisa and Western Blot the same day. Another case in point is a friend of mine having a positive test after only 5 weeks after exposure. It really depends on the persons body and the agressiveness of the substrain of HIV 1 they have.

In case anyone is wandering about the 10 negative test, it was from a discussion on anothe thread and I just thought that it would make a good example of difference in a persons general makeup and how the disease progresses.>>

SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
      #193903 - 05/31/06 10:50 PM

A 3-month test is sufficient for the VAST majority of people. There is a TINY chance that a person could take longer than three months -- maybe that's what happened in the case you cite, or maybe this guy is just mistaken, or maybe he's lying. Who knows? The point is, the likelihood that you would ALSO test negative beyond three months is virtually nil.

Doctors sometimes advise a six-month test if a person has a HIGH-RISK exposure with someone KNOWN to be HIV positive. As we've seen in discussions on this board, some people think that's excessive; I tend to be more conservative on this point, but really, it all depends on you and your doctor and whether you're willing to live with the infinitessimally small degree of difference between tests at 3 and 6 months.

JonCage
Master

Reged: 04/13/06
      #193904 - 05/31/06 10:58 PM

Let's go ahead and forget all the research that has been conducted in the past two decades which support conclusive testing at 13 weeks. Let's also go ahead and discredit the FDA,the WHO, the CDC and all the medical journals confirming that 13 weeks is conclusive.

Let's do all that because someone posted on a forum that they tested positive after 13 weeks.

First off, doctor's do not diagnose HIV using PCR as this poster suggests. The only way to diagnose infection is an ELISA followed by a WB. If a doctor diagnoses you by PCR, he is seriously flawed.

There is no scientific evidence to this thread besides heresay, and unfortunately, heresay is highly unreliable.

The vast majority of people will seroconvert by 6 weeks and its rare to for a negative 6 weeks test to change by 13 weeks. This has been supported by first tiered researh which is like godsend in the medical community.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #193915 - 06/01/06 12:11 AM

hi

regards from india

Your 3 month test is absolutely definitive and accurate, further worries and testing pertaining to HIV are unwarrented.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
      #193961 - 06/01/06 12:17 PM

Virgo,

Thanks so much for posting this! It's incredibly interesting...and it is indeed very definite about the three-month window period.

You rock!

Steve

Stresser
Expert

Reged: 03/29/06
      #194012 - 06/01/06 09:12 PM

3 months is conclusive, however, if you feel u need to test again do so at 6 months but do it to CALM YOUR FEARS AND IRRATIONAL THOUGHTS as U already tested negative. At this point u r more likely to be hit my a bus than get hiv from your exposure.....

sunkyst
Master

Reged: 03/22/06
      #194324 - 06/03/06 01:02 PM

You are conclusively negative!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2650

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3