Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rapid test
      #193254 - 05/26/06 10:22 AM

Mass says 6 week window period for a hiv blood test but 3 months for a rapid test. I thought they [rapid test] was the same sensitivity. I think its just the way it was certified.
Does anyone have any insite into this window period?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
Re: Rapid test new
      #193272 - 05/26/06 11:39 AM

That's the first I've heard that Mass has different window periods for different tests.

From what I've read, the rapid test and the blood serum tests are both effective once the window period (three months in most places) has passed. Within the window period, or very soon after infection, the rapid test may be slightly less sensitive, because it does require slightly higher levels of antibody to register positive. This is one of the reasons why testing within the window period is not conclusive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#193275 - 05/26/06 11:42 AM

That's true. And beside that "little problem" Some individuals don't show positive on rapid test for some reason. Read this one.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#193276 - 05/26/06 11:45 AM

That's true. And beside that "little problem" Some individuals don't show positive on rapid test for some reason. Read this one.
http://www.thebody.com/cgi-bin/bbs/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=testpos&Number=181317&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Sorry accidentally posted...

Leon

Reged: 05/16/06
      #193279 - 05/26/06 12:06 PM

Particularly, I had my last rapid test something like 2 or 3 weeks ago, 18 months after my exposure. But my symptoms (swollen lymph nodes on my neck, mostly; and diarrhea for a few days) started just two months before the test. MY ONLY EXPOSURE WAS 19 MONTHS AGO. My rapid test result is negative, and I hope to keep like that, but the lymph node swelling is still there (well, they are not so swollen by now, less than 10mm., maybe 5 or 6 mm) and this keeps me worried all the time. I made a lot of research, and the rapid tests really compares to ELISA, but sometimes (like 1 in 1000) they both miss the diagnose, that keeps me worried all the time too. Can somebody tell if its normal to the symptoms to appear that late?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#193316 - 05/26/06 04:21 PM

Maybe you should ask your own question instead of hi-jacking someone else post

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1759

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3