Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just tested, strange info from doctor...
      #192109 - 05/18/06 03:27 PM

Hi guys. Just a quick question. I had a fairly high risk unprotected encounter a few months ago. I was tested shortly afterwards, and then again at exactly 13 weeks. I had to push my doctor a bit to test again at 3 months, because she said the test basically means nothing until at least 6 months. Is this true, I was under the impression I was basically out of the woods after 3 months. Thanks in advance for any help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sunkyst
Master

Reged: 03/22/06
Re: Just tested, strange info from doctor... new
      #192139 - 05/18/06 04:09 PM

That's dumb. She obviously has old information. To say that the test means nothing until 6 months is simply not true.

The CDC, which is one of the most conservative health organizations in the world, says that 97% of people will have detectable antibodies by 3 months, the average time being 25 days. Here is the link:
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/faq9.htm

This means that a test at three months is virtually conclusive. Most of the people that would seroconvert after this time, would be people with weakened immune systems, perhaps from chemotherapy of from drug use.

You can count on your 6 month test to be negative also. It really doesn't help that health care professionals try to scare people like this. I wouldn't worry about it much more if I was you, you'll be fine.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#192153 - 05/18/06 04:59 PM

Sorry i donīt understand, isnīt it exactly the oposite "Most of the people that would seroconvert after this time, would be people with weakened immune systems, perhaps from chemotherapy of from drug use", if the immune systems are weakened, shoulnīt they seroconvert earlier??????
Thanks

ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
      #192155 - 05/18/06 05:05 PM

No. When the immune system is weakened it would take longer to produce the antibody's that would normally be produced during seroconversion and therefore they would not show up on the antibody test.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#192157 - 05/18/06 05:18 PM

Ok, so for instance, if a recent infected suffer from another desease like reumatoid arthritis, is possible that it takes longer to seroconvert???? Longer than 4 months??

sunkyst
Master

#192158 - 05/18/06 05:29 PM

Arthritis, I don't think that would delay antibody production. Some other immune related disorders like lupus, immune systems weakened from chemotherapy or drug use would possibly cause antibody production to be delayed beyond three months. But even these people will almost always have detectable antibodies by 6 months. It's incredibly rare for it to take longer than six months to show.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#192171 - 05/18/06 06:50 PM

So tell me please, is there any exam i could make, i have tested negative after 4 months, it was an Elisa test.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#192193 - 05/18/06 10:04 PM

Elisa is the best test to take... if its negative then u R fine... if u feel u need to test at 6 months for sanity go right ahead.. but do the same ELISA test... not any other ones..

sunkyst
Master

#192198 - 05/18/06 10:29 PM

Yes, you can do a DNA PCR which looks for the DNA of the virus itself. The test is offered by the following site, I think it costs about $289.00.
http://www.advancedtestingcenter.com/_DNA+PCR+test

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #192203 - 05/19/06 03:25 AM

Why "not any other ones"? OraQuick rapid tests are supposed to be as good as ELISAs when testing oustide the window period (>3mos).

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Anonymous
Unregistered

#192693 - 05/23/06 08:54 AM

I have made another exam today at 133 days after exposure, 19 weaks after. what do you think??

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2235

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3