Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Withdraw method???
      #191259 - 05/14/06 07:49 AM

I just had a one time exposure I guess you could say. Unprotected vaginal intercourse with my ex boyfriend.

Last I knew, when he tested in early March, he was HIV negative. But then again, who knows (if anything) has happened since then. I don't think he's been with anyone else, as I know he doesn't "get around"....isn't bi-sexual, doesn't use drugs...etc etc. But Im still worried.

He pulled out before he finished. So NO ejaculation inside of me.

What are my odds of contracting HIV??

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #191265 - 05/14/06 09:45 AM

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Withdraw method??? new
      #191276 - 05/14/06 10:26 AM

[quote]unprotected insertive/receptive sex is risky, whether it be vaginal or anal, its very risky (compared to some other modes of transmission). No ejaculation inside does lower your chances, but doesnt eliminate it. Neither does the number of risk exposure.

However, the odds are in your favor for a negative test result.

Its best to Know Your Status & Take the Test...Test at 12-13 weeks post exposure for a conclusive result. Knowing your status is the single biggest tool to have in the fight against hiv. [/quote]

so you seriously think this was risky enough to warrant testing in 3 months?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whats a "normal" percentage risk? Meaning, if a person does have receptive vaginal intercourse......what are the odds? 1 in what???? so how low would it technically be with no ejaculation!??!!?

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #191287 - 05/14/06 10:51 AM

Anonymous
Unregistered

#191291 - 05/14/06 11:16 AM

[quote]numbers dont mean squat, and to be honest for the most part statistics arent updated and as accurate as they should be.

Hiv infections, occur if the conditions are right for it. Some people get it from a one time exposure, some dont. Some dont get it after repeated exposure with a confirmed positive person, and likewise...some do. Numbers arent gonna change those facts, maybe in the mind, but not in reality.

HIV Testing is the only definate way to know if you have been infected. If you still need numbers to rationalize where you may or may not stand, i will let the anonymous statisticians throw all kinds of numbers at you. But even still, the only definate way to know where you stand is to get an HIV test.

***so you seriously think this was risky enough to warrant testing in 3 months?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*** I think any unprotected insertive/receptive sex, vaginal or anal, warrents testing, Its proven to be the biggest modes of transmission.

I am not a doctor, statistician, or Research scientist, nor do i try to be, therefore i do not quote percentages,etc. I am a man who believed all that garbage, statistics, etc...all the hype, and was diagnosed in the late stages of aids. How did i get it? Unprotected sex with a woman, according to statistics thats on the lowerside of some of the risk categories. You see my point yet?...Get Tested and KNOW your status...dont compare your life to a statistical chart. [/quote]

Yes. I see your point. But this unprotected sex you had with this woman....was it a one time event? Or multiple. I know that makes a difference too.

My problem/paranoia..... is I think EVERYONE walking around has HIV. When in fact, I read just 10 min. ago in our local paper that my state has one of the VERY lowest rates of HIV in the US. And most are concentrated in just the two largest cities in the state. (I live in a rural part of the state)

I know not all that matters probably...it only takes one time, etc etc.....but I really should probably concentrate more on the fact that MOST people DON'T have HIV....instead of fearing EVERYONE does!

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #191292 - 05/14/06 11:17 AM

This is one of the reasons that 90% of people infected, dont know they are infected.........

Anonymous
Unregistered

#191296 - 05/14/06 11:56 AM

[quote]This is one of the reasons that 90% of people infected, dont know they are infected......... [/quote]

I understand that. And honestly, most people don't fear people who ARE infected, we fear the ones who are walking around and don't know they're infected!!!

I explained my situation. My ex tested in Mar. and was negative. I tested in April and was negative. SO....the only way I am assuming I would be in trouble here, is if he was with someone (who was positive)...between Mar., and now.....

Nelson44

Reged: 05/11/06
      #191299 - 05/14/06 12:54 PM

Hi Anonymous,

First of all I understand what you are going through I am also in the same spot as you, (although I had a condom failure). I do agree with AIDS2HIV, there is no guarantee that you will be infected or not, it is basically the luck of the draw. I posted my situation a while back and as I understand there are people that has been exposed numerous times and never contracted the virus and some just got it in the first time and if you think because you live in a rural area you cannot get it, well I know people in this forum who live in a rural area and had one affair and got it. So I guess there is no other way, but to wait it out and get tested and hope for the best.

Nelson44

Anonymous
Unregistered

#191300 - 05/14/06 12:55 PM

The info you have been given by other posters are cold hard facts void of trying to calm your fears. The truth is given your sex act plus your knowing the person plus your location you will probaly be hit by a train sooner than contracting HIV. Now some will say, I am minimizing the risk, I am not.

They are correct that you should test however test @ 6 weeks you will be NEG if what you say is correct. HIV fear is real though so use condoms from start to finish no matter who you have sex with. D.J.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#191306 - 05/14/06 02:38 PM

[quote]Hi Anonymous,

First of all I understand what you are going through I am also in the same spot as you, (although I had a condom failure). I do agree with AIDS2HIV, there is no guarantee that you will be infected or not, it is basically the luck of the draw. I posted my situation a while back and as I understand there are people that has been exposed numerous times and never contracted the virus and some just got it in the first time and if you think because you live in a rural area you cannot get it, well I know people in this forum who live in a rural area and had one affair and got it. So I guess there is no other way, but to wait it out and get tested and hope for the best.

Nelson44 [/quote]

I wasn't saying that because I live in a rural area that I WON'T get HIV. I was saying that judging by the number of HIV cases in our state and where Im located, I was assuming the odds are against it. Anyone, anywhere can contract HIV under the right circumstances. Never denied that.

But fact is, our state has two very heavily populated cities...the capitol and one other city thats even larger than that. And THOSE TWO cities are were the majority of the HIV cases are concentrated. There is no denying that. Its in numbers......its fact.

Honestly, yes, based on those facts, on top of using withdraw so he didn't ejaculate in me, the fact I KNOW him, and that he had a negative test in March....I was just hoping that those things would all but guarantee me to be negative. And before anyone jumps in and says not to base my status on someone else's results...or that you can't always trust someone who SAYS they're negative....I can verify that he was negative at that point. I saw it myself.

And no, Im not just going to skip testing altogether because my risk "may" be small. Believe me, Im counting down the hours till 6 weeks already. So I will test. I just wanted to know if I should be incredibly worried till then.....or let the thoughts go and not worry.

Survivor
Legend

#191308 - 05/14/06 03:02 PM

"....or let the thoughts go and not worry" - is good with me.

jambo
Fanatic

Reged: 04/08/06
      #191327 - 05/14/06 08:42 PM

Anon

Here is my two lines of wisdom. given all the info that you have provided, let us look at your chances...im not a statistician but still

what are the chances of your ex being pos? if he tested in march, then it could only be if he had sex with pos person in feb, and contracted it from that, and was seroconverting when testing in mar.

now, assuming he was pos, what are your chances? a one-off exposure is obviously lower risk than repeated exposures.

combine just these two and you see that it is quite unlikely that you could be infected.

take a2h's advice and get tested. i also think a 6 week test will more or less clear the air, but of course to be conclusive you should test at 12/13 weeks.

I know the anxieties of this waiting period, since i am myself going through it, but what else can we do???

Anonymous
Unregistered

#191328 - 05/14/06 08:48 PM

[quote]Anon

Here is my two lines of wisdom. given all the info that you have provided, let us look at your chances...im not a statistician but still

what are the chances of your ex being pos? if he tested in march, then it could only be if he had sex with pos person in feb, and contracted it from that, and was seroconverting when testing in mar.

now, assuming he was pos, what are your chances? a one-off exposure is obviously lower risk than repeated exposures.

combine just these two and you see that it is quite unlikely that you could be infected.

take a2h's advice and get tested. i also think a 6 week test will more or less clear the air, but of course to be conclusive you should test at 12/13 weeks.

I know the anxieties of this waiting period, since i am myself going through it, but what else can we do???
[/quote]

Yea, I know.....not much else we can do but wait!! I hate waiting!!! Its like my biggest pet peeve! Waiting for anything....I have no patience!! I wanna know...and I wanna know NOW!! Thats my deal!

Yes, he did test negative in March..I believe it was March 1st. Again....I saw it myself. I was tested later in March....also negative.

Believe me, you don't have to TELL me to get tested. Im gonna be at the Health Department's front door exactly 6 weeks from today!! I'll meet em' in the parking lot!!! :)

Im not just gonna "assume" Im negative and not find out for sure. Its not fair to me, or anyone I may be with in the future. So yes, I WILL be testing. Thats not even up for discussion!

Survivor
Legend

#191330 - 05/14/06 08:54 PM

Learn from this. Dont make life a giant waiting game...

Here is mine - six weeks draw 6 viles of blood wait 2 weeks, get results good/bad. Repeat that every six weeks for the next 4 years...Then the rest of my life... If I can do this, you can to...

jambo
Fanatic

Reged: 04/08/06
      #191337 - 05/14/06 09:58 PM

By all accounts, there is little to worry in your case. One suggestion that people give me is stay off the internet, but i am never able to do it.

if you are better than me on this, i think the waiting period may be easier to pass...

all the best

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
2 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5003

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3