Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
rufenough
Fanatic

Reged: 04/22/06
Mycoplasma Genitalium
      #191178 - 05/13/06 12:24 PM

Has anyone out there got any information on this STD? It seems it could possibly be responsible for some of those suffering from ARS like symptoms but chronically. The unanswered question about this infection is "can it become systemic as well as chronic" It comes from a family of bacteria called "Mycoplasmas" of which others are known to cause systemwide symptoms. All those and more that people suffer when they go trhu ARS.

Any ideas anyone???/

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
coby
Grand Master

Reged: 04/01/06
Re: Mycoplasma Genitalium new
      #191191 - 05/13/06 01:54 PM

OK, this is what I can tell you............I hope you remember Douche, he had actually got a reply back from Dr. Gallo this is the doc that discovered the HIV virus and in his e-mail to the doc he went over all his symptoms and was told that he should be checked for this. I'm glad that you brought this up I go back to the doc on the 17th and I'm going to have her check for this. I did some research on this and I know they have a way of testing for it but didn't like what they had to say about it. I think I remember reading something like you can get rid of the bacteria sometimes and sometimes it's with you for good. I wish I could remember all that was said and maybe Douche will see this post and chime in. There has to be a reason that Dr. Gallo said to test for it and this is one od the best reasearch docs in the world. I will let you know on Tuesday what I find out and you let me know what you find out.

rufenough
Fanatic

#191215 - 05/13/06 05:23 PM

Hi Pinkster,

Thanks for responding. I only found out about this infection as a result of doing a google "chronic infections".

It does seem that there are certain group of people on this forum that are having very real symptoms, they are doing all the right things (ie getting tested and eliminating various infections), but are left just feeling unwell and things unresolved.

Yes....what I have read about this infection kind of suggests it can be difficult to eradicate. The interesting thing for me, is that I got Gonnarhea from my risky act. The Doxycycline made me feel nearly 100% better, but 3 days after finshing the 7 day course, I got back all my symptoms and some seemed to come back with vengeance (like a rebound???), then i was put on Erythromcin, becuase the doc felt i may have Syph and/or an NGU, once again a felt a bit better, but not as good as I did on doxy.

It seems that the best chance of eradicating this bacterium is with extended mutliple courses of Doxy' (6 weeks at a time) but with no gaurantees.

But as stated previously...this is a family of bacteria, of which it clear some create chronic and systemic infections. Whats not clear is if the "Genitalium" strain does likewise. But Im desperate enought to prescribe myself Doxy (cant do this in UK, but im off to Canada Monday, and think I can buy Doxy over the counter there??anyone know?) to see if symptoms subside.

I find it quite reassuring that someone on this forum has had input from someone as credible as Dr Gallo, suggesting that this is possible line of enquiry. Its better than being led to believe we are all a bunch of stressed out paranoid, worried wells. I dont believe that for a moment, most people dont want to feel unwell...they are just looking for answers, and unfortunately a lot of qualified physicians simple dont seem to take us seriously either.

LQZ
Guardian

Reged: 03/13/06
Re: Mycoplasma Genitalium *DELETED* new
      #191225 - 05/13/06 07:12 PM

Post deleted by VonDutcheFace

rufenough
Fanatic

#191255 - 05/14/06 03:42 AM

Hi VonDutchFace,

Thanks for posting on this thread, you never know we may all find somethings worth exploring that are related to our symptoms. I am dissapointed that you cannot get Doxy over the counter in Canada, I thought this was possible. Its same in the UK, but I am due in Canada for two weeks as of tomorrow and was hoping to buy Doxy, and see if symptoms subsided once again. I think if you have not yet seen if Doxy has a postive impact on your symptoms, you should try even if you cannot get a Mycoplasma test. I am also going to have to have a indepth conversation with my GU clinic upon return from holiday to see if I can get these tests put in motion when I return home.

As I have read about Mycoplasmas, and having eliminated about HIV and now 8 or 9 other infections, Im becoming convinced I should see if i can find a clinic in UK that will test for this.

My initial searches came up with the effects of Mycoplasma Fermentan. This infection is being attributed more and more to symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome, gulf war syndrome, and other chronic illnesses. But what i found interesting is that in addition to this Chronic Chlamydial infections have also been attributed to similar symptoms, and also to another set of Symptoms know as RIETERS SYNDROME. Since my intial illness which lasted 6 or 7 weeks I get far less fevers now (although still the odd one) but I have persistant stiffness and sorenes in my joints, gritty dry eyes (like conjunctivitis) and also persistant urethritis and epididymitis, lower back and abdominal pains. This is almost spot on for Rieters syndrome, exceot the pain in urethea and testis, this more akin to reoccrruing Mycoplasma Genitalium, which a short course of Doxy will not cure.

In all of my reading I havent been able to fill in the gaps, and unanswered question remains can a sexually contracted Mycoplasma Genitalium, cause a systemwide chronic illness?????

Any clinicians out there know the answer to this!!!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3325

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3