Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Leon
Unregistered

Facts III. Window Period
      #191018 - 05/12/06 12:45 PM

In fact is about testing, sometimes (like 1 out of 100) the body develops antibodies, but the test misses them.
http://www.aegis.com/conferences/iac/2000/MoPeA2091.html
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=179847
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/archive/7111/7111pr.htm

Check please. Stop attacking me. You should thank my effort in bringing you this information. You can also check official sites of testing brands for more information.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Facts III. Window Period new
      #191022 - 05/12/06 01:00 PM

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=179847

Of all the articles you posted, I only read the above. If I read properly, in this study only 1 person out of 1600+ people had a false negative. But this person was also in late stage AIDS so this really has absolutely no relevance at all to what you're saying.

Leon
Unregistered

#191024 - 05/12/06 01:05 PM

http://www.aegis.com/conferences/iac/2000/MoPeA2091.html
This one shows 2 false negative out of 600.
You are only seeing what you want to see.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#191030 - 05/12/06 01:25 PM

I've also read an online PDF that showed 5 false negative result from a population of 600. All 5 were from the same lab (Rapid Testing).

SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
      #191039 - 05/12/06 01:56 PM

Leon,

The studies you cite are examining the accuracy of specific antibody tests. They have nothing to do with the window period.

The British Medical Journal article is 10 years old and involves retesting 21,000 patients who had been tested previously using a batch of test kits that were shown to be deficient. Of those 21,000 people, seven were false negatives, and four of those were shown to be recent infections. Even this deficient kit had a sensitivity of more than 99 percent. Note that "the defect was present only in the batches of the assay distributed in the United Kingdom after January 1996."

In the JCM study, one patient of 1,160 had a false negative, and that patient had late-stage AIDS. It is well-known that patients with late stage AIDS may become antibody negative due to degradation of the immune system.

The AEGIS study is a South African evaluation of a new test kit. Note that the conclusion is that the kit is 99.6 percent sensitive, which is pretty darn good.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with all of these posts. You're firing into the dark like a madman hoping to hit a target, and I don't think you even know what that target is. Are you questioning the window period or the overall accuracy of antibody testing? Why are you reading studies from Europe and Africa, which may have different testing protocols than the United States and which are using test kits that we may not be using? Why are you reading a ten-year-old study about a single batch of defective test kits in the UK and applying its results to modern antibody testing?

I can't quite believe I've spent this much time on your posts. Nothing you've argued changes the fact that for the VAST MAJORITY of people, the window period is 3 months, maximum.

Steve

Leon
Unregistered

#191040 - 05/12/06 02:03 PM

I'm not your enemy. But if you start checking which tests are used in the USA you can find that rapid test are almost always the same used worldwide. Not questioning the test or the window period. I agree with you 3 months for the vast majority o people. (like 99%) the other 1% may go on with their life and their false negative result. It's about possibilities, we need to stop HIV and AIDS.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #191043 - 05/12/06 02:13 PM

Leon, Where are you going with these posts?? What is your intention?? Personally?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#191044 - 05/12/06 02:15 PM

any test after 6 weeks is pretty much a done deal.

SteveR
Legend

Reged: 07/19/05
      #191046 - 05/12/06 02:21 PM

Well, sure, it's also possible you'll get hit on the head by a meteor when you step outside your front door. "Possibilities" will drive you crazy. You have to think instead about probabilities.

What you want is a test that yields a 100 percent accurate result. Unfortunately, no test in medicine does that. There's always a tiny, tiny margin for inaccuracy. That's true in HIV because of the window period and because, as you pointed out in your other post, antibody levels can decline in people with late-stage AIDS and in other special cases. The HIV tests we have now, especially when used in combination (EIA, WB together, for example) are as accurate as medical tests ever get -- within a few tenths of a percentage from 100 percent.

That means the probability that someone is getting a false negative result is infinitesimally small. Being hit by a meteor is more likely.

Leon
Unregistered

#191047 - 05/12/06 02:22 PM

No bad intemptions at all. I just don't want nobody to feel he way I do now. I was sure that I was HIV negative... Check, I was the victim of a sexual assault a year and a half ago. Tested negative (Abbott Determine 1/2) Every three months ultil the year. Then tested negative at 15 months. Symptoms started... lymph node enlargement on my left armpit and neck. They come and go. Today they are enlarged, had a diarrhea for five or six days, like a month ago, Tesed negative last week, could somebody tell me what's going on with me?

AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
      #191048 - 05/12/06 02:29 PM

yer a fukn basket case cuz ya wont address the real issues of "this assault" ya claimed happened....instead yer trying to convince yourself that you have HIV....when you DONT!!!!!!

thats whats goin on with you......

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

Leon
Unregistered

#191049 - 05/12/06 02:32 PM

Wish nobody in the world be a victim of sexual assault. I don't have the guts to bring back the memories, sorry.

AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
      #191052 - 05/12/06 02:42 PM

[quote]Wish nobody in the world be a victim of sexual assault. I don't have the guts to bring back the memories, sorry. [/quote]

thats your problem, you are gutless, scared, afraid, whatever termanology ya wanna use...to face your issues properly. Why? i have no idea why, especially when ya can come here and exhibit the energy you have trying to scare others with misinformation...if ya pursued your own real issues with even half that much energy, and was honest about it, to a counselor, you'd find you'd make great progress. But instead, here you are...wasting it on anything that will keep from dealing with the TRUTH!!!

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#191058 - 05/12/06 02:56 PM

"No bad intemptions"

Jesus Christ Leon you are an effing moron!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#191065 - 05/12/06 03:45 PM

[quote][quote]Wish nobody in the world be a victim of sexual assault. I don't have the guts to bring back the memories, sorry. [/quote]

thats your problem, you are gutless, scared, afraid, whatever termanology ya wanna use...to face your issues properly. Why? i have no idea why, especially when ya can come here and exhibit the energy you have trying to scare others with misinformation...if ya pursued your own real issues with even half that much energy, and was honest about it, to a counselor, you'd find you'd make great progress. But instead, here you are...wasting it on anything that will keep from dealing with the TRUTH!!! [/quote]

Nice very nice. Aids to HIV. I see compassion which, has been shown to you when you first found out about all this is lacking in your own makeup.

I suppose you also think any woman that claims she was sexually assaulted needs to deal with the TRUTH. And you call yourself a Christian?

Lord save us from the rightous.

Leon, It's clear you don't have HIV. Why would you get symptoms now? What could they be from? Just about anything. The only thing you know for sure is that with your testing history and barring any newer risk exposures you are HIV negative. You are druging up old stuff, just to help you continue on this path of fear. It's a bad path. Not for you.

I can understand how a sexual assault is not something you can just put down, but for your sake you need to work through these feelings it has left you with. You're still a victim. It's high time for you to reclaim your life. If you don't your assaulter wins. Don't let that happen. Get the counseling you need to move forward in your life.

The best revenge is a life well lead.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4837

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3