Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Leon
Unregistered

Delayed seroconversion cases. With names and...
      #189871 - 05/05/06 07:18 PM

I would like this not to be true but... it is, This people may have lied to the docs... But they were in fact positive, long time before the antibodies response. What I'm trying is to make you people understand that somebody is playing with our lives, HIV its really easy to catch in sexual encounters, and the virus could live in our bodies for years "hidden" somewhere. I had another negative test today, (later than 18 months from exposure) again a Rapid Test (maybe the test is missing the diagnose too...) Now I'm really afraid to take an ELISA, because...

... Response from Dr. Squires

You have to distinguish between never converting antibodies or delayed antibody development. The assays hae gotten better and more sensitive, so the likelihood of taking longer than 6 months is very small. But here is just one of the articles that describes 24 patients who took longer than 6 months, albeit 9 years ago.

Wolinsky SM, Rinaldo CR, Kwok S, Sninsky JJ, Gupta P, Imagawa D, Farzadegan H, Jacobson LP, Grovit KS, Lee MH, et alHuman immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection a median of 18 months before a diagnostic western blot. Evidence from a cohort of homosexual men.Ann Intern Med 1989 Dec 15;111(12):961-72 STUDY OBJECTIVE: To study the natural history of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) infection, we used an in-vitro amplification technique to detect HIV-1 nucleic acid sequences in sequential aliquots of peripheral blood mononuclear cells from homosexual men enrolled in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study. DESIGN and PATIENTS: Blinded, longitudinal study of 24 homosexual men who were positive for HIV-1 antibodies at a recent follow-up visit. MEASUREMENTS and MAIN RESULTS: Coded clinical samples were evaluated using two enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (whole virus and gp120-gp41 fragment), Western blot, a p24 antigen capture assay, virus cocultivation, and in-vitro amplification of conserved regions from the HIV-1 gag and env open-reading frames. In 20 of the 24 men an HIV-1 enzymatically amplified product was detected before HIV-1 antibody seroconversion: at 42 months before seroconversion in two cases; at 36 months in one case; at 30 months in one case; at 24 months in four cases; at 18 months in eight cases; at 12 months in one case; and at 6 months in three cases (median, 18 months). In the four other men, detection of an HIV-1 enzymatically amplified product was concurrent with confirmation of antibody seroconversion by Western blot. CONCLUSIONS: There is a long and variable interval between virus acquisition and a diagnostic serum antibody response, perhaps due to the prolonged, persistent infection characteristic of the lentiviruses.

MH

Sorry. But is necessary. Today I feel really sick. Don't give the virus to someone else please.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Knockitoff
Unregistered

Re: Delayed seroconversion cases. With names and.. new
      #189873 - 05/05/06 07:45 PM

Leon,

You are a freak and an idiot. That article is from 9 year ago.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#189875 - 05/05/06 07:52 PM

You try to scare people with old, old news.......................

Then in the middle you let everyone know this was almost 10 years ago.

Quit blaming people and act like an adult. Tell people to insist on condoms every time. Wear a condom next time.

You sound like a big baby Leon. Grow a pair!

You also sound like a scared little whiney brat. You are scared so you want everyone to be as scared as you are. Maybe you can get together and all huddle in the corner being scared together.

I have heard and seen people who actually have this disease sounding stronger and braver than you do.

Grow up and quit your whining.

Leon
Unregistered

Re: Delayed seroconversion cases. With names and... new
      #189876 - 05/05/06 07:52 PM

In fact those cases are from 1989 or 1990, but... if a cure haven't been found yet by the almighty Scientist, what makes you think that the tests can't miss diagnoses today like they missed diagnoses then?

I've never felt so sick. I'm doing all this to protect you people and the others...

Weee-on
Unregistered

#189877 - 05/05/06 07:59 PM

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! My name is Weeeeee-on. I found a scare-weeeeeeeeeeeeee article and I cut and pasted it. I loved cut and paste in Kindergarden. I so scarewed, and it not even Hollow-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen!

No you be afwaid too and we be afwaid to getther.

I think I go get my mommy to make some popcown now.

Be afwaid, Mr. scientific man. I am.

What,. my article old and out of date. Who cares, it is scare-weeeeeeee and I would rather dwell on fears than behave like a big we-sponsible gwown up and wear my rubbers when I go out to play.
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee_on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#189878 - 05/05/06 08:04 PM

"In fact those cases are from 1989 or 1990, but... if a cure haven't been found yet by the almighty Scientist, what makes you think that the tests can't miss diagnoses today like they missed diagnoses then?"

Because tests are far more sensitive than they were almost 17 years ago. Wake up.

You had to go back to the early days of HIV to find evidence to support your crazy theories.

In the last 10 years, not one person has been documented as seroconverting past 13 weeks in all of England. Leon, England is a biiiiiiiiiiiiig country.

If you want to be irrational, insane, and in a state of dysfunctional panic fine, but don't be a crazy-maker.

If you are so afraid, wear a damn condom next time.

Let me guess, you don't believe they protect you.

Hey Leon, better yet, just never have sex. No worries then, and you might save some money on ho's (just kidding).

Leon
Unregistered

#189879 - 05/05/06 08:04 PM

The scientist and people like you, is gonna have to kill me if I found out to be positive some day, I've only had an exposure. Year and a half ago. If I found out to be positive, I'm gonna shout it to the world and finish with all that "window period" bullsh****t. There are a lot of interests on getting people infected. Realize!!! (selling medicines, selling tests, testing...)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#189880 - 05/05/06 08:12 PM

"The scientist and people like you, is gonna have to kill me"

Yeah Leon, you sound really sane, intelligent, and rational. (Irony)

So if you test positive you will run through the streets yelling stuff about the window period. But it will all be worth it then, huh Leon, because you will be right, and you can then say "told you so".
(Sarcasm)

DoubleD
Unregistered

#189909 - 05/06/06 12:24 AM

As an RN, I know, doctors will always cover their asses no matter how small the risk. That's the result of our sue happy nation.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6197

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3