Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Neuropathy
      #189459 - 05/04/06 11:25 AM

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me a few questions I have about PN.

I am experiencing muscle twitches, pretty much anywhere. It hits for a few seconds and will turn up somewhere else minutes/hours down the track. I went to the doctor about these and he checked me over (asked if I had any pins/needles (to which I replied no) reflexes, checked for muscle weakness and checked my eyes) and said everything seemed fine but if they don't dissapear on their own to return at a later date.

I am worried this may be PN and am still a few weeks away from my conclusive result. Hoping to ease my mind a bit.

I have read that neuropathy generally starts in the toes, then moves up gradually and may even involve the fingers but doesn't really go above the knees. Is this the case with all types of neuroptahy? I fear maybe mine is muscular or motor and therefore doesnt follow the same rules as the more common sensory PN does.

Also would the doctor have noticed anything to suggest neuropathy if this was the case? I have heard it can affect reflexes.

Sorry to be a pain - so thankful to anyone who can answer these.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
briannan
Expert

Reged: 02/22/06
Re: Neuropathy new
      #189468 - 05/04/06 11:55 AM

It is my understanding that neuropathy and muscle twitches are two completely different things. Neuropathy is more associated with pain in your feet and hands.

I have also had muscle twitches almost everywhere on and off, even before I had a possible HIV exposure. I have been to my doctor and a neurologist. I was diagnosed with "benign muscular fasciculations" (sp?), which are not harmful. I notice that they appear more frequently when I am stressed. I believe this is the case with you.

Also, PN is not a common symptom of ARS. Let me know if you have any questions about my personal experience with these twitches.

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #189474 - 05/04/06 12:07 PM

That is not neuropothy, not even close.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#189479 - 05/04/06 01:08 PM

Cheers for the hasty replies - mind is much more at ease now!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3319

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3