Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Had all the symptoms...but no known risk factors??
      #188169 - 04/26/06 11:50 PM

I had all the symptoms of ARS. I would have been able to dismiss it if not for the strange rash I got. The rash was most prominent on my arms and legs, but I had a little on my stomach as well. The rash lasted about a week or so on my stomach and over a month on my legs. But here's the thing... I have no "risk factors"??? Never had unprotected sex, not a drug user. Could I be missing something????? If I have HIV, I did not get it from sex...and the only possible thing that I can think of is that I got it through a medical procedure. Is there any other way...am I missing something? I have never been someone who thought "it can't happen to me" so I have always been careful. I just don't understand.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
Re: Had all the symptoms...but no known risk factors?? new
      #188173 - 04/27/06 12:02 AM

Medical procedures require sterilization of all instruments and equipment used. It is very doubtful you would acquire HIV in this mannner. If you have no risk factors then you can't be HIV pos.
ARS symptoms (including the rash you describe) can be attributed to all sorts of conditions. If you want to set your mind at ease, get tested. I would expect your results to be negative since you have had no exposures...

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Had all the symptoms...but no known risk facto new
      #188177 - 04/27/06 12:42 AM

Thank you for responding. I just wanted to say that I am not a crazy person who goes into a doctors office, has a procedure and then thinks they have HIV. I had ALL the symptoms. Looked back at what i was doing in the three months before and came here for advice. About 5 or 6 days before I got sick I had performed oral without ejaculation on a guy, but I was told that was not a risk and I was also told that this was too soon for ARS symptoms. The only other thing in the three months before that occured was that I had a medical procedure done that involved a needle. I was the first appointment done on a monday morning...so unless a dirty needle was laying around from the friday before I can't explain this illness. I did not have mono, or at least my monospot came back negative. Should I test????

ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
      #188226 - 04/27/06 11:07 AM

The symptoms of ARS are similar to many many other illnesses. RAshes are NOT uncommon....and the ARS rash is generally on the upper torso...not the arms and legs. You can get a rash with the flu...you can get a rash from measles, mumps and a hundred + other viral illnesses. If you had no risk there is no need to test. God Bless.

BGirl
Unregistered

Re: Had all the symptoms...but no known risk factors?? new
      #188252 - 04/27/06 12:51 PM

A severe allergic reaction can look like ARS, with fever etc. And there are cases of mono that do not show up on the test (there is a medical term for this, but I’m forgetting it. Maybe someone else on this board knows).

Of course those are not the only two things that look like ARS but they are the most common.

And ARS rash is most prominent on torso, back, face.

Good luck finding what it is....but probably not ARS.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#188288 - 04/27/06 03:51 PM

Thank you faith. Yes I did think it wasodd...my rash seemed to be everywhere BUT my torso or face and neck. Where did you get the info about the location of the rash? I have tried to look at pictures online, but I could not find anything.

ItsFaith
Legend

#188297 - 04/27/06 04:27 PM

I've read the information regarding the location on the rash on this site in the experts section ....when I get some extra time I will try to get you an exact location so you can read it yourself...but, honestly, regardless of the rash, if you have no exposure (unprotected sex, IV drug use) then you need not worry about where your rash is....other than to seek medical help if the symptoms asre ongoing. Hope you are feeling better.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#188341 - 04/27/06 09:27 PM

Hi faith, yes I realize that...but when you have all the symptoms and they are not explainable...your mind starts going through all sorts of what if scenarios. It is scary and I should probably be tested...but I can't rationalize going in to get a test because I'm worried that a doctor may have infected me. I feel like I need to do something in order to warrant testing. It's just scary because I haven't had a rash since I was a little kid.

ItsFaith
Legend

#188344 - 04/27/06 09:38 PM

Oh, I know how crazy your mind can make you...believe me I feel your pain! I hadn't had a rash since...actually, i don't know when, and then I got one last year....that is when i started reading about HIV....I was a complete mess...rash was all over my stomach and chest.....turns out I was allergic to a medicine I had taken a week prior (had finished the meds). I tested neg several times after that rash. I was 32...so hadn't had a rash in 30+ years.! Dermatologist said can be soaps or detergents or lotions or something in the air....sometimes you will never know the cause. A rash doesn't mean HIV...but it does freak you the hell out I know.

God Bless.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2717

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3