Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lymph nodes
      #18775 - 06/27/01 08:11 PM

I posted a question a while back regarding swollen lymph nodes. At the time I posted my question the lymph nodes in my groin area were aggitated/swollen. Now, about two weeks later, the ones in my neck (and possibly under my left arm) are swollen too. Today is two days shy of 6 weeks since unprotected sex (highest risk, no ejaculation). Now getting on to my question...I've read that there's many other causes for swollen lymph nodes. I do believe that, but have found it difficult to find what the other causes are! Mainly I'm talking about other sexually transmitted causes. Obviously HIV is the first one that comes to mind for all of us here. When it was the ones in my groin area I tried to convince myself that I may have caused the swelling. I hung onto that hope until the ones in my neck swelled. Now my hope is based on having contracted something other than HIV. As far as any other symptoms...none! No fever, rash, headache, nausea, etc. Just lymph nodes. I have an appt. with my doctor tomorrow. I know it's too soon for an antibody test, though he might want to do one anyhow (at the 6 week mark). I suppose he'll also check for any other possible STD. Anyhow, any responses to my question about other possible STD's causing swollen lymph nodes is appreciated.

I also want to thank Shane and Copper Blue for your responses with my last question: "Odds?" (6/18/01 10:16 PM).

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Lymph nodes new
      #18776 - 06/27/01 09:38 PM

Please keep in mind that lymph nodes are the sight of the bodies immune system. The HIV virus invades the immune cells, hence causing lymph nodes to POSSIBLY swell with infection. This also indicates ANY illness may lead to swollen lymph nodes. When any bacterial/viral condition invades the body the immune system is stimulated and reacts by producing higher concentrations of cells to fight the condition. It is apparent that you have done your research on HIV infection, but again it is important to stress the fact that you can not possibly diagnose infection by symptoms.

The average person will have a detectible level of HIV antibodies at 25-27 days after infection. If you have reached the six week mark it is highly possible that your test result will indicate a true +/- status. I wish you the best with your healthcare provider/s and testing, and hope I was of assistance.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18782 - 06/27/01 11:46 PM

Thanks for replying. You mention bacterial and viral infections...what are examples of that? Being that this occured so shortly after unprotected sex I'm 100% sure it has something to do with my condition. I'm just trying to figure out what it is that I might have. If not HIV, then what else? Again, thanks for your help and to anyone else that would like to comment.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18793 - 06/28/01 02:26 PM

Causes of swollen lymph nodes may relate to extreme conditions as mono or simple conditions as sinus infection (I can not possibly diagnose you over the internet). I highly recommend you see your healthcare provider and stop trying to diagnose your HIV status by symptoms. If you feel your anxiety or stress may be too high ask for medication to deal with this condition (which may be causing your heightened immune response and swollen lymph nodes). How do you know your lymph nodes are swollen, have you had a healthcare provider diagnose this? People experience mental symptoms (e.g. diagnosing oneself with physical disease) which cause physical reactions (swollen lymph nodes) due to high levels of anxiety and stress. Regardless of your status there is little that can be done to change your possible infection now other than protecting yourself and others during future sexual engagements. Again I wish you the best.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank You [Anonymous (Unregistered)] new
      #18798 - 06/28/01 07:57 PM

This is in response to the last response...

Thanks again for your time. You are right about many things. First one being stress. I (as well as many others here) are dealing with a tremendous amount of anxiety/stress. You're also right about trying to diagnose HIV or any other infection based on symptoms. I know better than that, but my mind tends to kick into overdrive....especially now. Mental symptoms? I totally agree! It can happen. Here's the latest news though: I went to my doctor today and discussed everything with him. He took a gallon of blood....lol....several vials anyhow. He said that he'll have the viral load test done for the HIV. I assume that'll be conclusive at 6 weeks (unlike the antibody test). He also took a urine sample and analized it right away. He found that I do have a bacterial infection and that may have been the cause of my swollen lymph nodes. I'm now on antibiotics for that. As far as anything else, I have to wait a week. I did seek medical attention though, and that is my advice to everyone. It's not good or healthy to diagnose one's self. I still have anxiety/stress over the HIV issue, but I'm having a good moment right now...lol. I hope for the best next week. I thank you [Anonymous (Unregistered)] for your input. Symptoms don't mean much as far as pinpointing, but it's easier said than done. I will seek out a phychiatrist (or psychologist) and talk to him/her before and after I get my results next week. If it is positive...life MUST go on! Thanks again, and please pray for me.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2977

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3