Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

HIV RNA?
      #187736 - 04/24/06 12:09 PM

Does anyone know if you can get the HIV RNA anonymously?
The Dr was going to oderer it (or something like it - I just know he said it would pick up in the window period) but I did not want it in my medical records. So he sent mne to a testing center but it seems like they do not do the HIV RNA there.

From an article posted on The Body:

Shortly after getting infected with HIV, many patients have an acute (or "primary") HIV infection, a period of flu-like illness with symptoms like fever and malaise that could be caused by influenza or many other diseases. Many scientists and physicians believe it is important to treat during this acute HIV infection (provided, of course, that it gets diagnosed then). ...........To confirm an acute HIV infection in symptomatic individuals with potential HIV risk factors, current guidelines2 recommend use of HIV RNA (viral load) tests.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: HIV RNA? new
      #187738 - 04/24/06 12:34 PM

advanced testing center in the phone book under aids or go to web site

Anonymous
Unregistered

#187754 - 04/24/06 02:10 PM

Hi Anon,

im just going thru the exact same concern, have good reason to be concerned about going thru the acute hiv syndrome, have read that treatment early on can make a significant difference to disease progression, but can get know sense out my GUM clinic at all, they seem utterly unconcerned. However I am in the UK where our national health service has been incoherent in terms of patient care for as long as I can remember, quite what we pay our tax for sometimes I do wonder.

Ive been forced down the road of eliminating mono as a a cause of my symptoms, since knowone seems interested in testing me for viral STDS prior 3 months, let alone then offering me any early stage treatments.

Nothing makes any sense whatsoever, the clinicians approach here seems unrelated to any information i can find on the net.

My thread is just a page down titled "How long and how severe can seroconversion be". I'll keep my progress posted on there.

Cobal916
Unregistered

#187771 - 04/24/06 04:35 PM

I had it done at my Dr office 29 days after possible exposure. He was reluctant to do it but gave in after I kept requesting it. The one he did was the RNA PCR ultra sensitive go to 50 copies per ML. My result was <50 or not dectected. But what you need to know is that these tests are not conclusive. You will still have to test at 12/13 weeks. There are some people who have posted no viral loads and still tested positive. In my case I'm having symtoms of a viral infection and tested negative (ELI) at 9 weeks post post exposure. Listening to the companies that sale PCR tests on line they would have you believe it to be conclusive. But it you check the CDC site for PCR studies you will see that there are alot of false negative and positives found during their studies. One comment I read was that the PCR can be a tool to confirm ARS syndrom, but not the hiv infection. Also stated in other writings is that if the result is negative then infection is unlikely. Keep in mind that they are talking about more than 1 PCR test. bDNa,Rna, Qualitive and quanative. What ever you decide you will still have to confirm the tests with the ELI at 12/13 weeks. If your still looking to have the test done. search the web under HIV PCR test and you will see 3 or 4 results all that testing and give results by code only. Hope that helps.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#187795 - 04/24/06 08:32 PM

They do the DNA PCR test and they do report positive results to the state in which you live. Ask them.
http://www.advancedtestingcenter.com/

JonCage
Master

Reged: 04/13/06
      #187805 - 04/24/06 10:53 PM

HIV RNA testing is generally used in patients that have already been confirmed to be HIV positive. This is a means to determine the trend in the infection.

HIV RNA when used in patients with an active infection are not anonymous, rather they are confidential. The results from an HIV RNA test will be stored as part of your clinical history and is obtainable if necessary. Example from your insurance company.

When people say that a test is "anonymous" they are referring to the fact that a postive result will not be reported to the state.

As HIV RNA is not approved by the FDA for diagnosis, they are not considered anonymous.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #187871 - 04/25/06 01:16 PM

JonCage
Master

Reged: 04/13/06
      #187983 - 04/26/06 01:45 AM

Thanks for clarifying that for readers A2H.

They need to understand that the HIV RNA is not used for diagnoses so it is not anonymous. If they get a postive HIV RNA, there is no reporting done, but it does become part of there medical file.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

AnswerToOwnPost
Unregistered

#188079 - 04/26/06 02:44 PM

I got it done at the Hospital. I am near Boston, and it was free as part of a study on RNA testing. They do both RNA and a standerd test. And it is anonymous in that it is is done by number so the results do not become part of your medical record.

I was told that, because of the acuracy of their lab/equipment, they have only had (I think it was 3 - it was some very small #) false positives. I did not ask about false negitives.

It is not FDA approved but, having worked with pharmicutical companies I know how much of FDA aproval has to do with money and politics. A drug company may know something is effective for stage 3 cancer, but decide it is only cost effective to seek FDA approval for stage 1 (it's very exspensive to get approved, especially for a small start up company) and tjust count on DR's to use their brains and prescribe for stage 3 too "off label".

Not FDA approved means just that: it's not FDA approved. It doesn't nessisarily mean it doesn't work.

Any way, this test made sense for me because my stypmtoms are very much like ARS, and no one could find anything else wrong until yesterday, when I showed up weak negitive on a mono test. It would be unusual (I had mono in 1990, tested positive), and some symptoms seem inconsistant with mono (seem more like ARS), but other things fit mono better.

Anyway, hoping for mono..will know Fri or Mon . Optimistic, though.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3015

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3