Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Major anxiety - do I need PEP?
      #187646 - 04/23/06 02:26 PM

Hi everyone,

I had unprotected sex at the end of January, and tested negative at 13 weeks. I am seeing a psychiatrist to address my anxiety and depression that has arose because of this issue.
Also, I have developed a deep fear of contracting HIV. This morning, I found a wrapper for a hypodermic needle under my bed. I have NO idea why it would be there, only friends and family have been in my house. I am selling the house and have shown it a few times. Other than that, no one else has been in the house. SO, to top it off, when I took off my socks this morning, I noticed there was a big blood stain on the bottom of one of my socks.
SO of course I think that I have stepped on that needle and it could infect me with HIV. I have not found the needle, but I am still worried because my sock was bloody. Should I be worried over this, should I call my doctor in the morning?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #187650 - 04/23/06 02:44 PM

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Major anxiety - do I need PEP? new
      #187732 - 04/24/06 11:08 AM

I agree with the first reply. If you stepped on a needle you would have felt it. Testing after 13 weeks is good, very close to a 99% accuracy so you don't have anything to worry about. I've been under lots of stress/anxiety because years ago I put myself in a risky situation, not until 3 months ago the axiety came up after I was told I had HPV (something 50% of ppl will have at some point in their lifes)... since then (and even after testing negative) I've thought I am infected with the virus... continue with professional help and learn to accept the good news. You need to enjoy life. Take care and best wishes to you.

God Bless!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Major anxiety - do I need PEP? new
      #187830 - 04/25/06 08:21 AM

Thanks for your replies...I don't know what's wrong with me. I am seeing my psychiatrist in a couple of hours. Against your advice, I went ahead and went to the doctor, who said he "really, really, really, really, really" thought I didn't need PEP. Because he couldn't find a puncture wound, and said pep was for primarily for nurses who had been stuck with a needle after using it on an hiv infected person. Since my hiv test was only like a week and half ago or so, he gave me a baseline hepatitis panel. but he said i needed to get an hiv test and another hepatitis for a month. I really don't want to go through hiv testing again. If there was no chance, then why do i have to get the test? why wouldn't he have given me pep if there was a chance?
My mom keeps telling me "there was no needle!" and i keep trying to tell myself that also. Just a series of circumstances I am putting together to fuel my anxiety...

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1512

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3