Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Explain the whole antibody thing to me....
      #187431 - 04/21/06 05:00 PM

cause I honestly can't see why it takes sometimes 3 months for someone to turn positive. (unless their immune system is already compromised)....

But on a regular "healthy" person, how is it possible for it to take WEEKS for antibodies to HIV to show up on a test? Granted, it make take a few weeks....but 2 months?? 3 months??? HOW!??!?!?

Im assuming if you contract HIV, it goes to work, so to speak....immediately. Its in your body. In your blood. Maybe you can't see it or feel it...but its there, correct? It doesn't just pick a spot and hang out for a few months undetected. That would be impossible.

I agree some people may test sooner than others. But I would think logically only a week or two difference....not months!??! One person can be exposed to a cold virus, and not show symptoms or "get" it for a couple days after that exposure. But the a person who also caught that cold, may take a week to show symptoms or "get" the cold.

Basicly what Im saying, is with todays advanced testing, even rapid tests like Oraquick blood/oral......would be almost 100% reliable by 4-6 weeks. The HIV virus would have had MORE than enough time to run through your body in quantities large enough that an antibody test would pick it up, right?

As I said, from what I understand, if one DOES contract HIV, it starts in on your body right away. Maybe nothing you can feel or outwardly see.....but its there...and tests should pick it up.

Cause basicly, once your body receives a disease, it goes to work producing antibodies against it...probably from the moment....the very second it enters your body. So I find it hard to believe that 4-6 weeks of this virus being in your body, you wouldn't have produced enough antibodies in your blood/saliva to have a reliable test done.

Does that make sense what Im trying to say? Can anyone tell me if Im missing something or wrong on any of that.

A lot of this "wait" time....window period stuff... just doesn't make sense to me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LQZ
Guardian

Reged: 03/13/06
Re: Explain the whole antibody thing to me.... *DELETED* new
      #187442 - 04/21/06 06:20 PM

Post deleted by LQZ

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Explain the whole antibody thing to me.... new
      #187466 - 04/21/06 08:55 PM

According to the CDC, the average person takes 25 days to produce detectable antibodies and most people develop detectable antibodies within 2 to 8 weeks post exposure. The problem is what does "most people" mean? Check out this link:
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pubs/faq/faq9.htm

JonCage
Master

Reged: 04/13/06
      #187488 - 04/21/06 10:31 PM

HIV does begin to replicate immediately after infection. You can be infected after one day but you will not test for antibodies until several weeks.

Although I agree the 3 month window is highly conversative, you need to understand that it is conclusive. Each persons immune response is different when responding to the virus. After the initial response, it still depends on the person's body as to how much antibodies are produced for an ELISA to accurately pick up.

By 3 months, virtually all infections will be detected by standard ELISA.

With better technology in testing the argumental window period will likely to be lowered, however, you cannot start suggesting that a 6 week test is conclusive for the general population.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #187514 - 04/22/06 10:12 AM

"Basicly what Im saying, is with todays advanced testing, even rapid tests like Oraquick blood/oral......would be almost 100% reliable by 4-6 weeks. The HIV virus would have had MORE than enough time to run through your body in quantities large enough that an antibody test would pick it up, right?"

You are perfectly on the money, correct. Most people will test HIV+ on a standard antibodies test by 25 days given a day or two, 99% by week six, and the rest by week 12. The part that most people bend out of shape is the word "most". The reason that it is used by the CDC&WHO are for those with a severe immune system problem and to cover all bases (Basically there asses), the people with a sever immune system problem (you would know if you had one) will test seropositive by week twelve. Most people don't have severe immune system problems, but every body is a little different and takes different amounts of time to respond to things, yes. the normal time it takes a healthy person is 2 to 5 weeks for HIV to replicate and show on a standard HIV test, the longer period is for those with immune system problems.

HIV is a very active virus, it dose not lay and wait for an opportune time to start working in your body and your body will start trying to do what it can to get rid of this intruder. If you have actually become infected it only takes days for there to be a sufficient amount of the replicated virus to be detectable on a few tests that are out there but not approved by the FDA for detection, these tests are used for control after you have actually become infected. The best test used for detection is a standard antibodies test because of it's low rate of false positive reactions (which the other tests have a high rate of them), and then if it dose give a positive reaction the test is backed up by a western blot test which is a great highly accurate back up test.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#187693 - 04/24/06 01:40 AM

Hey Von,

Yes you are right. Just seeing only it as a statistical data, you are right. But, when we try to make some interpretation of why it happens in those cases, then we have a category of who will seroconvert late. Because, there is always a reason behind why things are different and that motivates doctors to find even solutions for example CCR5 mutation based treatment. So, I prefer to make the tables of data with little bit more sense by including under what conditions people could seroconvert late and also, if possible how to check for those conditions. For example if our immune system seems to be down(which is definitely because of other reasons apart from HIV infection itself), we can go for skin anergy test. So, panicking kicks in, when things are not explained and scientifically analysed. I hope this rests my case.

TIM

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2353

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3