Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Seroconversion/ARS
      #18743 - 06/27/01 10:47 AM

I am confused about ARS and seroconversion as it relates to antibodies being detectable in testing.

From what I can gather........ARS is the result of your body going thru seroconversion. So am I correct in saying that antibodies would not be detectable until after ARS?

They say the average amount of time that antibodies can be detected is 21 days....Does that mean that these people may have suffered ARS prior to this?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Seroconversion/ARS new
      #18756 - 06/27/01 03:41 PM

Seroconversion refers to the body developing antibodies from HIV infection. Researchers are not exactly sure of which occurs first ARS or detectible antibodies. Various reasons may account for this dilemma:

The sensitivity of our current HIV tests. The body must produce a detectible level before our current HIV tests will reveal a + status.

Not everyone experiences ARS symptoms, and all symptoms are not chronological (and vary person to person). Thus, many do not recall infection dates nor dates of possible ARS.

In a nutshell ARS may be easier explained as the period when a person seroconverts. Scientifically researchers do not have a timeline for this disease other than assumptions and averages. I hope this helps.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Seroconversion/ARS new
      #18787 - 06/28/01 10:22 AM

It seems that MOST doctors/scientists seem to agree that ARS occurs before the development of detectable antibodies. ARS represents a high amount of the virus in the bloodstream, and the body's reaction to it.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1112

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3