Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Cobal
Unregistered

Exposed
      #186838 - 04/18/06 06:57 AM

I believe I was exposed to the Virus on Feb 7th. Had all the flu like symptoms, and still have not recovered. Still have the body pains, weight loss and coated tongue. I had the RNA PCR ultrasensitive <50 result was not detected. Tested for antibody at 2,6 and 9 week after incident. Reading other postings, I discovered that there are quite a few outthere who tested the same way I did and found out later that they were positive. I feel no confort in my previous test. Based on my symtoms, I know that its not going to work in my favor. Just wanted to vent some. I welcome all comments.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Exposed new
      #186845 - 04/18/06 08:57 AM

your 2,6, and 9 week tests are encouraging. from what I have read here a 3 month _12/13 week, 86 day) test is conclusive. u will be fine my friend. u will see your 13 week test will be negative just like your other 3 tests

sadface
Legend

Reged: 02/15/06
      #186850 - 04/18/06 09:45 AM

When the hiv is negative and you are still feeling bad, have the Dr. run more tests, you could have some other aliment that is being missed. You are in my prayers...
SF

briannan
Expert

Reged: 02/22/06
      #186857 - 04/18/06 10:23 AM

I am not sure what posts you are talking about where the person turned positive after nine weeks????
Depending on the date you took your pcr, and coupled with your negative tests, you are hiv negative.
Get a mono test - it turns out that is what was wrong with me.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#186930 - 04/18/06 07:56 PM

What I meant to say was that the PCR test <50 turned out to be a false negative. See the posts by daisey6205 as one example. From my understanding I still have to antibody test out to a min of 12-13 weeks. But considering the things I'm currently going through, I'm going to play it safe for the 6 months. This is of course I'm still good to go at 13.

JonCage
Master

Reged: 04/13/06
      #186934 - 04/18/06 08:14 PM

When HIV infects the body it takes a little time before the immune system is able to initiate an active response, hence the window period. The vast majority of infections will be detected by 6 weeks (>90%). By three months, you're looking at 99.999 certainty.

Seroconversion is not the same as ARS. Seroconversion occurs after infection with HIV. It is the process when the blood of the infected person (or in fact his/her serum) is converted (hence the term) by developing antibodies against HIV.

ARS usually occurs within 2-4 weeks of infection. ARS occurs because your body is beginning to mount an attack against HIV. Shortly after ARS, your body will begin to produce antibodies. It may take a few days to weeks before they are detectable using the standard ELISA.

You have had a negative PCR test (which detects the virus) and 3 negative ELISA out to 9 weeks. You are really beyond the lightning strike odds or testing postive later on.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

Edited by JonCage (04/18/06 08:17 PM)

sunkyst
Master

Reged: 03/22/06
      #186937 - 04/18/06 08:36 PM

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. I think I may have been potentially exposed on Feb 11.

About 3½ weeks later, I started getting sore and weak muscles, numbness and tingling in my hands and legs, swollen lymph nodes and 3 night sweats, although these were not really bad. I still have slight swollen lymph nodes almost 10 weeks later.

I tested at 4½, 6½ and 8 weeks with a standard ELISA test. All came back negative. At the 8 week mark, I also tested using a DNA PCR which also came back negative. I'm going for another ELISA test tomorrow at the 9½ week mark.

I was starting to feel better about my results so far until I read this. I went back to Daisey's threat and her case seems really strange. Whoever heard of someone seroconverting 10 weeks post exposure? It just doesn't seem normal.

I hope that Daisey's case is a one off and that we both turn out to be negative. I sometimes doubt the results I've received so far based on the symptoms that I've been having. I definitely think it may be viral, but hopefully it's not HIV.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#186939 - 04/18/06 08:43 PM

Cobal and sunkyst

i am sure you are both negative. do not forget to confirm this on this forum when you get the 12/13 week negative.

sunkyst
Master

Re: Exposed
      #186940 - 04/18/06 08:48 PM

I hope you're right. I will definitely let you all know what happens.

sunkyst
Master

#186942 - 04/18/06 08:59 PM

Cobal, let me know what happens with you. I hope we both turn out to be fine. I find it hard to put faith in the tests sometimes. I keep thinking what if someone in the lab didn't do the test properly or didn't do the test at all and just reported a negative. Everyone around me keeps saying that this is just anxiety. I hope they're right.

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #186946 - 04/18/06 09:52 PM

Your 2 week HIV test means nothing. However, your 6 and 9 week tests DO, as most test positive by 6 weeks. Symptoms don't mean you were infected as many people experience them and turn out negative. Some don't experience any symptoms at all and turn out positive.
Let's go back and revist WHY you feel you were exposed to the virus. Is your partner confirmed to be positive? Did you have unprotected sex? What kind? What was your role?
Many people freak out and turn out to have had low to no risk exposures. Identifying your precise risk would help in evaluating your situation. Odds of infection differ with each unprotected sexual act.
For now, concentrate on your 6 and 9 week results which are very encouraging and hang in there until your 12 or 13 week test...
Best of luck!

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Cobal
Unregistered

#187022 - 04/19/06 11:50 AM

My risk was with a female who status is said to be negative by her own words. Condom broke, and the next week things starting falling apart. Symtoms of a viral infection for sure. Still have yet to recover, and worried as hell. More so with the weight loss, coated tongue and body pains.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#187025 - 04/19/06 01:15 PM

Cobal, that could be stress.

cobal
Unregistered

#187028 - 04/19/06 01:46 PM

Yes it could be stress, and if it is I have a whole new respect for the power of it. But un likely, All of this is a result of what ever caused the flu like symptoms. The worst part is that there is so much information out there that contradicts, that is just so overwelming and a a point confusing. I don't know what to think, and its depressing to say the least.

cobal
Unregistered

#187029 - 04/19/06 01:46 PM

Yes it could be stress, and if it is I have a whole new respect for the power of it. But un likely, All of this is a result of what ever caused the flu like symptoms. The worst part is that there is so much information out there that contradicts, that is just so overwelming and a a point confusing. I don't know what to think, and its depressing to say the least.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4928

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3