Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
GamboJim

Reged: 04/14/06
HIV & Public Health - lets rethink.....
      #186599 - 04/16/06 06:23 AM

All,

I posted this reply to one of the messages earlier. I feel we need to examine current testing conditions to really fight HIV. Also google "Sharon Mitchell" & "Pcr" - she's the Director of AIM (clinic that caters to Adult Industry) - for her thougts on the ELISA test.

I think the Government needs to fight this HIV thing to the fullest for the sake of Public Health. You can't put a spark and gasoline together and not get an explosion. Young folks and adults are going to have sex (and in most cases unsafe) if the mindset is not corrected . You put on MTV, BET and all you see is booty, booty, booty - guess what? you are going to spew out what you recieve. Single guy sits at home watching TV or even a blockbuster movie with a gratuitous display of sex, guess what happens? - guy gets aroused and goes out and will eventually find a girl and boom stuff happens.

Anyway I digress - the Government MUST institute mandatory testing for all citizens, both in prison and outside prison and it should be PCR DNA test - forget ELISA - the Adult Industry uses PCR to mitigate HIV risk. Who are we kidding if we think we'll fight HIV with the lax state of affairs? Bill Clinton even said this must be the case in countries with devastating statistics on HIV.

From my experience women are really, really at risk for infection coz during the act of sex women from my experience don't know when a condom slips off - heck many girls I've been with were even more scared of getting pregnant than getting infected. So all you need for an epidemic is a charismatic HIV +VE guy to go sleeping around. Ladies please beware. As for me, I've learned that I'm not as smart as I thought I was - infact I've been a fool for my almost 28 years on earth. Now I'm committed to really attaining wisdom and passing it on to others. I know I'm ranting but I just have a lot to say......

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
Re: HIV & Public Health - lets rethink..... new
      #186614 - 04/16/06 10:19 AM

Anyway I digress - the Government MUST institute mandatory testing for all citizens, both in prison and outside prison and it should be PCR DNA test - forget ELISA - the Adult Industry uses PCR to mitigate HIV risk. Who are we kidding if we think we'll fight HIV with the lax state of affairs? Bill Clinton even said this must be the case in countries with devastating statistics on HIV.

And how would they Police this?
This has been gone over many times, read back, also read this same debate in the Living with room a while back. The only thing that the government can do and has done is preach about using protection or abstinence. Even the state of HIV education has slipped down to the level that it is barely taught in school or not even covered because of faith based groups saying it is not necessary. How do you get the word out about something that people don’t want to hear about because it is a sexually transmitted disease?
I work for an ASO (Aids Service Organization) and it has even got more difficult for us, with cuts in Government grants (many grants not even being offered any more) and the monies for services getting less and less the biggest question is not mandatory testing, it is how do we help those who are infected and have no way to get treatment? Our staff is to a bare minimum, and we give out over $2million in HIV medications a month, (Yes A MONTH) and we can’t pay our medical professionals what they deserve here, the thing that we are lucky for is that our staff stays at all because of the scope of patients we treat. Maybe you need to rethink your idea of mandatory testing and think more about more information in the public sector.

JonCage
Master

Reged: 04/13/06
      #186712 - 04/16/06 11:11 PM

Ultimately, you are responsible for your own health and risks. Mandatory HIV testing instituted by the government is probably walking the fine line of breaching the constitution rights of a private citizen. As with any law abiding country, there are manners in getting around the system.

An example of mandatory testing are military applicants and foriegn immigrants into the US.

It has been a long controversy in our government for mandatory testing of prenatal women however to it's unlikely that mandatory testing of the general population is ever going to happen.

The US government is likely to provide more AIDS education programs than anything else as a prevention method. Even women are aware that HIV exists. In generaly, people have to recognize that HIV no longer only affects "high risk" groups. It affects us all and the only way to prevent the spread is education and the promotion of safe sex, not abstinence.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

Anonymous
Unregistered

#186783 - 04/17/06 04:06 PM

I think when women go for a pap smear every year the doctor should ask would they like to be tested for hiv or any
other std ? but they don't I think that

should be inforced
I worked for many doctors and people thought they screened with the pap smear for everything. so I think doctors need to be more concerned and asking the patient if they want cultures and hiv testing?

JonCage
Master

Reged: 04/13/06
      #186815 - 04/17/06 10:15 PM

This is were education comes into play. You cannot assume that a test was performed for HIV if it is not specifically requested. In some states, patients have to sign a release before getting tested.

Assuming that your doctor tested for HIV without asking is like assuming your partner is negative while having unprotected sex. The only way to know is to specifically test for it. No other test will diagnose an infection accept the current HIV tests.

--------------------
Red like love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance towards those affected

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2247

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3