Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

fatigue
      #18643 - 06/22/01 02:29 PM

Hi guys-
I have heard lots about HIV and fatigue...when does this tiredness come into play? Soon after you contract HIV or not until you've had it for years? Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER? new
      #18671 - 06/23/01 05:58 PM

I am curious about this question too...any ideas out there?

CopperBlue
Expert

Reged: 06/04/01
Re: fatigue new
      #18673 - 06/24/01 12:12 AM

Hi there :)

Fatigue can occur at any stage of the illness, but I have a feeling you are talking about fatigue as a possible symptom of HIV infection. Fatigue can be a symptom of ARS, which usually occurs 2-4 weeks after exposure. This type of fatigue is described as "profound," meaning it interferes with daily life. Keep in mind, however, that fatigue is a symptom of many illnesses, and so you cannot automatically assume that you are infected. Anemia and chronic fatigue syndrome can also interfere with daily functioning, and are unrelated to HIV.

Copper

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18676 - 06/24/01 11:06 AM

Copper-
It has been six months since my possible exposure, and I am still quite tired almost every day. i hear that ARS symptoms go away after a few weeks, and then people with HIV don't have any symptoms for years...so you think my tiredness is not due to HIV then? Thanks...

CopperBlue
Expert

#18677 - 06/24/01 01:25 PM

Hey :)

If you were tested 6 months after your last possible exposure and it was negative, then your fatigue is not related to HIV. If you feel this fatigue is interfering with your life, I would suggest going to the doctor and having bloodwork done to see if you are anemic. You could also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) or maybe you are just coming down with a virus. Regardless, it's worth having a professional look into it.

If you have not been tested, now is the perfect time. 6 months after your last exposure will provide you with a conclusive result. It is true that in most cases, ARS begins a few weeks after infection and clears up after a week or two and does not return. But since you seem to be worried, I would have a test just to put your mind at ease :)

Best,
Copper

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18678 - 06/24/01 02:11 PM

Hi Copper-
I have been tested at 14 weeks...it was negative...is that enough? Is it safe to say now that my fatigue is not from HIV?

CopperBlue
Expert

#18680 - 06/24/01 02:59 PM

If you were tested at 14 weeks, which is 3.5 months, after exposure, it's fairly safe to say that you are not infected. As you know, most infected people will develop antibodies within 3 months, with the average being 25 days. In rare cases it can take someone up to 6 months to develop antibodies, so some people like to be tested again just to be safe.

I would think after testing negative at 3 months that your fatigue is not related to HIV. It is highly unlikely that ARS would occur at such a late stage. However, you seem to be concerned so, if it would make you feel better, you can test again so that you can move on with your life. If you find yourself becoming extremely anxious, though, or if your anxiety continues even after testing negative at 6 months, your anxiety could be related to something else, in which case I would recommend counseling to help you deal with your fears. Remember that testing is a personal choice, and you need to do what you feel comfortable with. I'm sorry I can't offer you more help, but it is impossible to diagnose based on symptoms alone. I will say that, in all honesty, I think you are fine and that you do not need to worry or test again. But ultimately that's a decision you will have to make. Try not to let your fears get the best of you - remember that it's very unlikely you will test positive at this point, and that you are well past the stage of ARS. That should offer you some reassurance, whether or not you decide to test again. If you need someone to talk to, feel free to send me a private message (you may have to register to do this, although I'm not sure), and I will try to assist you in any way I can :)

Copper

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2894

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3