Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

4 Weeks - but Symptoms
      #18587 - 06/21/01 10:11 AM

I had risky vaginal sex ....the condom came off.........tested negative at 4 weeks...I know I need more tests...But how accurate do you feel the test is at 4 weeks?

I am scared to death.....have so many symptoms........and wonder if I am in ARS....or could it be stress? I do not a hfever.....if i did I would even be more stressed.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
guess
Unregistered

Re: 4 Weeks - but Symptoms new
      #18592 - 06/21/01 01:04 PM

What test did you take? If you are so worried, why don't you ask your partner to test?. Or was she a prostitute?Remember that we're here to help you not to judge you.
luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18594 - 06/21/01 02:08 PM

I am pretty sure it was Elisa......the code said EIA....It wasn't a prostitute..........I guess I could track her down........I called her before and she said I had nothing to worry about she plays it safe............but I am not so convinced!

Can anyone ever know..unless tested?

guess
Unregistered

go get tested new
      #18596 - 06/21/01 02:41 PM

As you heve read here and everywhere, you can't say you have hiv based on your symptoms. The only way to know is by getting tested and you'll have to wait 3 months for Elisa to show something. I know these days will be hard but we have to be brave and face the truth. Right now I'm waiting 2 more weeks to go get tested at the 3th month even though I tested neg at the 2nd month. Believe me, it's better to know (and to know it the sooner). We're not alone, no matter what.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: go get tested new
      #18597 - 06/21/01 03:14 PM

I know but it sure is hard.......I would feel pretty good with a 2 month result..........What prompted you to get tested? Risky behavior? Did you have many symptoms? Sorry for being so nosey.........I wish you luck......I think you will be fine after that two month result....but I know myself.....I would feel better with a 6 month

KitG
Expert

Reged: 01/15/01
      #18604 - 06/21/01 06:30 PM

Your first question is about how accurate your 4 week test is.

Well, the odds are in your favour because you've passed the average time for a positive test and you're still negative.

Also, yes, stress can DEFINITELY cause all your symptoms and it can also cause the symptoms to become more and more severe, in a real vicious downward spiral.

And another thing, even though the condom came off, at least it was there in the first place, meaning at least the two of you were taking precautions at the time, which makes it all the more likely that you have both taken precautions in the past.

Additionally, the odds of transmission in your type of case are so low anyway.

Finally, your risk is even lower still because you are the male, the female is not in a "high risk" group and there is no evidence whatsoever that she is HIV+ to begin with.

Well, that's the good news, and from where I'm sitting, that sounds great for you!

Trouble is, I'm not sitting where you're sitting! (Not any more, anyway). You're the one who is scared to death and experiencing all the symptoms. So I don't really expect you to be fully reassured by all the things in your favour. Especially when you say you'd feel better with a six month test.

So all I can say is I have been sitting in a very similar place to where you are now. The facts, and the opinions of the experts, never fully convinced me (although in retrospect they should have done). What did help, though, were real stories from other people. So I hope my story will help a bit.

Vaginal sex? Condom failure? Me too. In my case, it was a prostitute who I later found out had been hospitalised for meningititis, pneumonia and other stuff. And I experienced every motherf*cking symptom under the sun. Real, physical symptoms which scared the sh*t out of me and which I couldn't find in any book about stress.

I tested out to 6 months and negative every time. Even after six months, I still occasionally got and still get weird symptoms, but a couple of weeks after six months, it dawned on me that I wasn't HIV+. It also dawned on me that I'd just been through the most stressful time of my entire life, so no f*cking wonder I was going through all these weird symptoms. And no wonder my body was still taking time to get over it.

Anyway, enough about me! I'm not saying you're condemned to six months of stress and worry. I don't know when you'll find peace of mind. But I know you will. You've come to this site about five months before I ever did, and that can only be a good thing for you.

All the best

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18609 - 06/21/01 10:02 PM

Thanks for all those wonderful words of wisdom............it really does help a bit.....but I still have some tests ahead of me...........

as I sit here writing this ...........I have just come from looking at myself in the mirror....and notice a rash on my chest......Where did that come from? Is that the maculopapular rash they talk about? What could it be? I am calmer than before ...but still very scared........

What kind of symptoms did you experience?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18619 - 06/22/01 08:37 AM

The odds of you being infected from a one time event as you describe with a person who status is unknown is REALLY low. Add that to a 4 wk neg els test I'd say your looking at 10,000 to 1 against being infected.Your symptons are not hiv related so get tested at 3 or 6 months or 6 years you will still be neg.

guess
Unregistered

#18642 - 06/22/01 02:24 PM

Wanna know my symptoms? Well I've had them all, from night sweats to rash on my back. Besides I was found an std. So I guess I'll not be as lucky as you brother. Your symtoms are 90% not hiv. Good luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#18660 - 06/22/01 10:25 PM

Guess, today I broke out in the MAculapopular rash they talk about......all over my chest, back, butt etc...........I hope it is a Bactrim drug reaction...however, I quit that a day ago..........How did the explain all your symptoms if your still negative?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2664

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3