Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there any way to get a test for virus itself
      #184384 - 04/04/06 10:39 PM

Is there any way to get a test for HIV itself, rather than just the virus? I know it costs alot more but would there be any doctor's willing to perform this test, rather than wait the agonizing three months for a regular HIV antibody test result.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
coby
Grand Master

Reged: 04/01/06
Re: Is there any way to get a test for virus itself new
      #184397 - 04/05/06 12:10 AM

Your qustion is a little confusing but I think what your asking is... Is there a test to detect the virus itself rather then waiting for the antibodies?

Yes, It's called the HIV DNA By PCR

It's not approved by the FDA as a testing tool. I had one and I paid 400.00 for it. You can go online and key in HIV testing companies will come up that offer the test or you can request one thru your doc. The DNA one looks for the virus itself and the RNA looks for the viral laod. Both are good but you still should test again at 13 weeks and they will tell you that as well. After getting my results I was fine till I read the small print that told me to test at 13 weeks to be sure of no infection. I do think it is something they have to put on the form.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184422 - 04/05/06 04:08 AM

Yes, the PCR , here in europe is quite standard process . I know it is not approved for diagnostic in USA, but, it is the first suggetion I got from my doctor when he saw I was really under stress. The problem; you have a risk of 5 to 10% false + (not false -). You can read more in different post. Important note; if you test negative for the virus on 4 weeks mark, no cases are reported of converting to + after. I pay for this analysis 250 Euros ( approx 300 US$). My result was ok at 5 weeks, my elisa - at 6, 8 and 13 weeks. However, I am still affraid and with ARS??( hopefully only in my mind) this is a difficult experience to forget just overnight

Edct4279
Unregistered

Re: Is there any way to get a test for virus itsel new
      #184424 - 04/05/06 04:50 AM

Sorry to jump in here.

Does this mean that DNA PCR tests are known to give false positives but Do Not give false negatives? So if I were to take one at 11 weeks (along with an ELISA) and both came back negative there is no doubt, and it's 100% (or pretty damm close to it) that I do not have HIV?

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #184456 - 04/05/06 10:20 AM

hi

regards from india

HIV is a virus, no matter what test you perform, it would detect the virus/antibodies.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #184469 - 04/05/06 10:40 AM

http://www.hivtest.org/subindex.cfm?FuseAction=FAQ

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Is there any way to get a test for virus itsel new
      #184499 - 04/05/06 11:18 AM

yes, but at 11 weeks PCR has no sense... a negative elisa at 11 weeks is already final. The labs will give you the PCR results in no less than 2 weeks , so by the time you have it you will be in the 13 week mark.. my suggestion do not spent your money on a PCR test at this point of time!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184680 - 04/05/06 10:07 PM

The Elisa test is not an accurate test its a cheap test. By that I mean that it is inexpensive. It can only possibly be at best 95% accurate.

5% of the population does not and will not make antibodies to hiv. So with that said, if an illness that is considered to be common in medical terms effects 1% of the population it is considered to be common. If 5% of the population will tests false negative then this test sucks.

I know that their are a lot of people out their that beleive that they are smart by listening to the doctors. The question that I ask them is that have you done your homework. The answer is no!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2193

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3