Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

John Hopkins on Seroconversion
      #184370 - 04/04/06 09:16 PM

A 3 month test IS conclusive!

Seroconversion
By John G. Bartlett, M.D. (24-Jan-2002)

Dr.

In response to a question posed on April 21, 2001 you quoted "The Medical Management of HIV Infection" (Bartlett & Gallant) as saying:

The window period: The time delay from infection to positive serology (EIA and WB) averages 21 days with newer test reagents (CID 1997;25:101).

A review of the current text posted indicates the following:

The window period: The time delay from infection to positive EIA averages 10 to 14 days with newer test reagents (Clin Infect Dis 1997;25:101; Am J Med 2000;109:568).

Can you help clear up the time frame from infection to positive serology ?

Answer:

The sequence of events with testing is the following:

Day 0: HIV transmitted
Days 8-14: HIV RNA becomes detectable (This is the "eclipse time" and requires sufficient replication for detection. Some cases have a substantial delay.)
Days 16-17: HIV p24 antigen becomes detectable.
Day 23: EIA screening becomes positive. The time of a positive WB depends on the kit.

All data above are averages. Nearly all standard serologic tests are positive by 6 weeks.

http://qa.hopkins-aids.org/forum/view_question.html?section_id=62&category_id=125&id=46871

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Veteran

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: John Hopkins on Seroconversion new
      #184372 - 04/04/06 09:21 PM

Thank God this clears up all the confusion!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184376 - 04/04/06 09:45 PM

only a lab rat like you is confused..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184378 - 04/04/06 09:54 PM

good piece of research ! I am very proud of people like you who are digging and finding the truth. If we could only get our hands on Medical Journals. Long ago I found a case study where Healthcare workers who were accidentally exposed to HIV from needle sticks and all of the the ones who seroconverted did before 60 days it was the most fascinating read I ever did on HIV and the Window.

Survivor
Veteran

#184379 - 04/04/06 09:59 PM

for detection. Some cases have a substantial delay.)
Days 16-17: HIV p24 antigen becomes detectable.
Day 23: EIA screening becomes positive. The time of a positive WB depends on the kit.

All data above are averages. Nearly all standard serologic tests are positive by 6 weeks.

Do you like the terminaoly "Averages" "Nearly." Some cases have a substantial delay. - not for me my friend.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184380 - 04/04/06 10:08 PM

EricCo - No one likes "average" or "nearly" which is why alot of people come here to seek advice.

Would you agree that if "nearly" all seroconvert by 6 weeks, that it would be approaching 100% by 3 months? That's almost twice as good as "nearly" - perhaps conclusively. :)

Survivor
Veteran

#184381 - 04/04/06 10:09 PM

Its a 5 year old article as well.... Rubish..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184382 - 04/04/06 10:13 PM

Are you being sarcastic?

If that was true 5 years ago.....it would tend to suggest with better tests that maybe 3 months is extremely erring on the conservative stance?

Survivor
Veteran

#184383 - 04/04/06 10:37 PM

This is my opinion... I dont like to gamble when it comes to my life or a life such as yours. I for one lost my bet and I am paying for it. I understand the worry, the trepidation and what hiv and aids means to the uninformed public or those just grasping at every aspect of hope they can lay their hands on. I understand this at a different level than you as I want to now know how long I have to live. All I wish you guys would do is just be careful on what you read and what absolutes mean or dont mean when they come down to you in whatever form. I dont want to see anybody get a neg and find out later 10 years from now or the next test that something was missed. You understand? We dont need anymore people in the Living with Forum. We just dont! I will always stay firm in what I have learned from my doctor who's only existance it to keep me alive and others like me.

Go for you six weeks checkup and test. But please, go again in six weeks. If you fall within that percentage of possibility whos life are you gambling with? Until they have absolutes (which you will not get from the CDC) I am just saying play it safe. Heck you test neg at six weeks, you half way home! Is that so hard to take? Just to be sure about YOUR life. What happens if you are pos and you go for years without any other exposure and you find you have hit a CD <200 and are clinically labled having AIDS, what then. Well your not going to die, but you have a bit of a building process to get back.

This is JUST my opinion. You need not slam me for what I feel is safe. Go about this thread as you wish. I am just trying to say, just.... be... careful... in... everything.. you are trying to find as difinative. In HIV, I would never use that word in any sentence, not yet, not now..

As far as 100% on anything related to HIV/AIDS. The only truth that that figure holds to for is either you have it or you dont.

Sorry, I just want you guys not have to deal with what I have to now..

Love & Peace..Please?

Survivor
Veteran

#184385 - 04/04/06 10:42 PM

Lastly, I am a conservative with anything related to my condition..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184388 - 04/04/06 11:00 PM

EricCo - Seriously, the one thing I hate about forums is you can only read what other people are saying and can't get the vocal gist behind what they are trying to get thru.

I am not bashing you. I highly respect anyone's opinion, it's like the saying "Opinions are like a**holes......" Thanks for yours, and the post was to make WW's believe in the 3 month test not the six weeks....I like you do, do err on the side of safety and would not be satisfied with a 6 week.

Anonymous
Unregistered

ratboi new
      #184392 - 04/04/06 11:27 PM

eric is like a bad rash that won't go away LOL. I think I will trust what the scientist said about testing and not some crank on a website. good post I never saw that one before.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184393 - 04/04/06 11:31 PM

[quote]Its a 5 year old article as well.... Rubish.. [/quote]

looks like ratboi eric the rash can not even add.....please go away.

Survivor
Veteran

#184394 - 04/04/06 11:42 PM

Sorry my HIV meds must be impacting my ability to add..

Survivor
Veteran

Re: ratboi
      #184396 - 04/05/06 12:00 AM

eric is like a bad rash that won't go away LOL. I think I will trust what the scientist said about testing and not some crank on a website. good post I never saw that one before

Very funny... Ill make sure when you test postive that i give you just as much compassion as you just gave me..

I am not going anywhere you see... This is a life sentence.. Good luck in your sad life!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 28972

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3