Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1
briannan
Expert

Reged: 02/22/06
I have MONO!
      #184060 - 04/03/06 02:50 PM

I just got back from the doctor, and I told him about my swollen and tender lymph nodes (started about 6-7 weeks after possible exposure) that has been going on a few weeks.
He did a mono test, and it came back positive! I have been tested for mono in the past (before this incident), and it always was negative.
I still have 3 weeks for my conclusive HIV test, but I am no longer ASSUMING that my symptoms are hiv-related. They very well could be caused by mono. My doctor thought I was crazy for being happy about it....
I'm just a crazy girl!
Love,
Brianna

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I have MONO! new
      #184064 - 04/03/06 03:04 PM

[quote]I just got back from the doctor, and I told him about my swollen and tender lymph nodes (started about 6-7 weeks after possible exposure) that has been going on a few weeks.
He did a mono test, and it came back positive! I have been tested for mono in the past (before this incident), and it always was negative.
I still have 3 weeks for my conclusive HIV test, but I am no longer ASSUMING that my symptoms are hiv-related. They very well could be caused by mono. My doctor thought I was crazy for being happy about it....
I'm just a crazy girl!
Love,
Brianna

COOL! Congrats!! Although, I've never come accross someone thats so happy to have mono!! HEE HEE!!! I think you can fully relax by the way things sound.

Careful with the mono though. That stuff can kick your butt so I've heard!!! My mom had it back when she was in college (stone age-ha ha!) and she said she was tired and just felt like crap for MONTHS! Fevers, headaches, etc.

So yes, sounds like you can be sure of what your symptoms ARE.....and most definitely what they're NOT!

briannan
Expert

#184066 - 04/03/06 03:09 PM

Thanks! I don't want to be overconfident though...
uh oh i'm doing it again already! ahhh!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184068 - 04/03/06 03:13 PM

[quote]Thanks! I don't want to be overconfident though...
uh oh i'm doing it again already! ahhh!! [/quote]

When was your last test? (past exposure wise I mean)?

Im going to warn you (I promise not trying to scare you)...but the HIV counselor/nurse I go to for my tests did say that Epstein Bar virus is one that SOMETIMES can cause false positives on a rapid test. Its not gaurenteed it will, but somehow they have found out that is one thing that does cause the false positives...

So JUST IN CASE.......the whole mono thing might throw stuff off.

briannan
Expert

#184069 - 04/03/06 03:20 PM

Nah, we don't have those rapid tests down here since Planned Parenthood got knocked out by Hurricane Katrina. But not sure if they had them beforehand or not...so I did the plain old ELISA at 6 weeks and waited a week in agony.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184070 - 04/03/06 03:28 PM

[quote]Nah, we don't have those rapid tests down here since Planned Parenthood got knocked out by Hurricane Katrina. But not sure if they had them beforehand or not...so I did the plain old ELISA at 6 weeks and waited a week in agony.
[/quote]

Oh my God. A week!?!!? I would have been in padded room with a white jacket on by then!!!!! Good job at staying sane!!! I applaud ya!

Are the ELISA's more accurate than the rapid tests?? I think I read somewhere they're about equal? Is ELISA with blood??

briannan
Expert

#184072 - 04/03/06 03:34 PM

Yeah, my poor mom, I put her through agony while I was waiting. I tested at the health department and one person told me three days, and then when it was a whole week i was about insane.
I am going to a psychiatrist next week, for real. This anxiety is hard.
I had thought about driving a few hours out of state somewhere to get the rapid test, although New Orleans Planned Parenthood are probably knocked out too! But since you mention EBV causing a false positive, i'm not going to do that.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184073 - 04/03/06 03:40 PM

[quote]Yeah, my poor mom, I put her through agony while I was waiting. I tested at the health department and one person told me three days, and then when it was a whole week i was about insane.
I am going to a psychiatrist next week, for real. This anxiety is hard.
I had thought about driving a few hours out of state somewhere to get the rapid test, although New Orleans Planned Parenthood are probably knocked out too! But since you mention EBV causing a false positive, i'm not going to do that. [/quote]

Yea, thats what she told me when I was in for my test last week. I specifically asked what "may" cause these false positives that people get. Pregnancy, hepatitis, and EBV were the three she mentioned. And like she said its not that they ALWAYS cause a false positive, some people test with those other conditions, and their tests turn out reliably negative. But evidently, some can have certain conditions that alter the rapid tests.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184105 - 04/03/06 05:44 PM

hey bree i never met someone so happy about having a mono diagnosis : ) you will be ok it is just a kissing disease.

briannan
Expert

#184138 - 04/03/06 08:56 PM

I just now saw your question - what i've read in my time on these boards is that the rapid test is the same thing as the third generation ELISA, which is the same thing I took. Yep mine was with blood.
Was yours the gum swab one?

sadface
Legend

Reged: 02/15/06
      #184170 - 04/04/06 07:49 AM

Na Na Na Na Na Naaaaaaaaaaaa
I told you you had mono!!!
You crazy girl, but I love you anyways..
Missy

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184187 - 04/04/06 09:30 AM

[quote]I just now saw your question - what i've read in my time on these boards is that the rapid test is the same thing as the third generation ELISA, which is the same thing I took. Yep mine was with blood.
Was yours the gum swab one? [/quote]

Yep. Mine was the gum swab one!!!

briannan
Expert

#184192 - 04/04/06 09:44 AM

When are you getting your 12 week?

ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
      #184226 - 04/04/06 11:11 AM

hi

regards from india

Brianna i think you should be fine and more likely your assumption should be true. AS your mono test suggest, the symptoms are caused by mono.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3251

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3