Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Transmission and Education >> Am I Infected?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know the percentages.....
      #183860 - 04/02/06 11:36 AM

...or where to find them??

Meaning, x percent of people will test positive by 4 weeks
x percent of people will test positive by 5 weeks
x percent of people will test positive by 6 weeks

etc......etc...........

I can't seem to find anything about that anywhere....but I remember at one point someone mentioning the percentages.....

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ravi
Legend

Reged: 11/19/05
Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Re: Does anyone know the percentages..... new
      #183861 - 04/02/06 11:42 AM

hi

regards from india

You may get conflicting reports, however you would not get the "perfect answer" to your question.

However i can assure you that by 12 weeks more than 99% people would test positive.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

Anonymous
Unregistered

#183863 - 04/02/06 11:51 AM

[quote]hi

regards from india

You may get conflicting reports, however you would not get the "perfect answer" to your question.

However i can assure you that by 12 weeks more than 99% people would test positive.

Goodluck [/quote]

I understand that. As I think, most of us here do. (the 12 week remark). But, some of us are looking for more than the generic answer you (and some others) give in almost EVERY post you make. Its like some here know nothing about HIV other than "12 weeks"!??!?!?!? There's more to know about it than that, I am sure. So I'd really appreciate an actual answer to my post if anyone has it.

ravi
Legend

#183864 - 04/02/06 11:56 AM

hi

regards from india

Firstoff it is NOT a generic answer, moreover you cannot get a perfect answer to the question you putforth. percentages vary.

Even scientist's or experts on HIV stay away from making comments on percentages, i am nowhere near to them, however the fact is that the answers are bleak in that particular aspect.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #183878 - 04/02/06 02:19 PM

It has been covered in the board many times, if you would read back. I guess you just want everyone to do it for you though, reading back would mean you would have to do something other than ask even though it has been covered repeatedly.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#183909 - 04/02/06 06:21 PM

Something like 99% will test positive by 6 weeks, which is why the CDC new training materials says only a 6 week is needed, unless a DOCTOR believes someone should test out to 13 weeks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#183911 - 04/02/06 06:24 PM

[quote]
Firstoff it is NOT a generic answer, moreover you cannot get a perfect answer to the question you putforth. percentages vary.

Even scientist's or experts on HIV stay away from making comments on percentages, i am nowhere near to them, however the fact is that the answers are bleak in that particular aspect.

[/quote]

It's not unreasonable for this poster to ask about percentages and yes, Ravi, percentages do exist. Lambasting a poster for asking a question that you don't know the answer to, doesn't mean the question is inappropriate.

Seriously, if they didn't know percentabges how could any window period be assigned. Of course percentages exist. You need to brush up on you out dated information, or don't just don 't bother to post when you don't know the answer.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#183914 - 04/02/06 06:36 PM

I second that motion...

http://www.thebody.com/cgi-bin/bbs/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=infected&Number=181299&page=11&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Anonymous
Unregistered

#183927 - 04/02/06 08:14 PM

It's not unreasonable for this poster to ask about percentages and yes, Ravi, percentages do exist. Lambasting a poster for asking a question that you don't know the answer to, doesn't mean the question is inappropriate.

Seriously, if they didn't know percentabges how could any window period be assigned. Of course percentages exist. You need to brush up on you out dated information, or don't just don 't bother to post when you don't know the answer. [/quote]

Thank YOU!!! (Im the original poster of this thread). Finally someone else is noticing the yes....GENERIC answers a certain few people give on here. I can tell there's others that are very well educated cause they back their stuff up!!! But answering almost everyone's posts with "if you feel you're at risk, its best to get tested"....is getting a little irritating. Half the time the original question isn't even ANSWERED!! Its like they know nothing other than "test at 12 weeks".....

So anyway, thank you to those who have actually ANSWERED my question.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #183936 - 04/02/06 08:51 PM

Im going to ask the question now..

Do you feel better now that 6 weeks +/- % is adaquate?
Will you quit worrying at 6 weeks and go back to living?

Just curious....

briannan
Expert

Reged: 02/22/06
      #183941 - 04/02/06 09:08 PM

For me, I felt good for about ten seconds, and then went back to worrying, but wasn't totally as down in the dumps like before!

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #183967 - 04/02/06 11:46 PM

Well then Briannan, then its a good thing isnt it..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#183998 - 04/03/06 09:50 AM

[quote]Im going to ask the question now..

Do you feel better now that 6 weeks +/- % is adaquate?
Will you quit worrying at 6 weeks and go back to living?

Just curious.... [/quote]

Im happy about my 6 week negative. But the second I feel relieved about it...and confident in it...someone kicks my a** with the "ohh...thats nice....but doesn't really mean much till 12 weeks" comment.

The HIV counselor said I don't even need a 12 week test. She said this one was enough. Based on my exposure "risk" etc. etc.
In her training they were told that unless someone has a severly compromised immune system, 6 weeks is all they need to test out to, 8 weeks at MOST.
So who do I believe??? Her training from the CDC and other medical professionals, or people on messages boards (with no formal training)......scaring the crap out of me!!!!
She (the counselor/nurse/HIV worker) has to half way know what she's talking about. They wouldn't let her run around telling false information, educating workers like her falsely, etc etc....

So Im really torn.

ravi
Legend

#184006 - 04/03/06 10:22 AM

hi

regards from india

You cannot give the exact percentage of people who will seroconvert in 4 weeks, or 6 weeks for that matter, atleast i do not know about it.

if you you know it, i would be glad if you bring it to my notice.

Goodluck

--------------------
Take Care

God Bless you

Stay Well

Love Ravi

briannan
Expert

Reged: 02/22/06
      #184007 - 04/03/06 10:23 AM

I know how you feel, my doctor said I didn't have to do the 12 week test (based on my risk also) unless I wanted to.
But my neck is all swollen and tender (which didn't happen until after my negative test), and I'm freaked out about swollen lymph nodes. I was at the doctor two weeks ago and he confirmed they are swollen and put me on antibiotics...well today my neck is still feeling the same way so I'm going back today to see what he says. He's going to check for mono, and I know I'll be even more scared if that is negative, which I think it will be.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4861

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3